Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I took X to the dyno today, pulled some pretty good numbers! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
I took X to the dyno today, pulled some pretty good numbers! by fieroX
Started on: 06-19-2004 04:15 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: fieroX on 09-06-2004 09:15 PM
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I ran 3 pulls, first one was 414 hp and 417 tq on 16 psi boost, 2nd 431hp and 454 tq on 19 psi boost, and 3rd 468hp and 482tq on 19 psi and a 50 shot with not enough bottle pressure . Not too shabby for a little ol V6 with crappy exhaust manifolds and a generic turbo (according to Howeird Cracks). Cya all at Wheatstock! X is ready.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spyhunter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

I ran 3 pulls, first one was 414 hp and 417 tq on 16 psi boost, 2nd 431hp and 454 tq on 19 psi boost, and 3rd 468hp and 482tq on 19 psi and a 50 shot with not enough bottle pressure . Not too shabby for a little ol V6 with crappy exhaust manifolds and a generic turbo (according to Howeird Cracks). Cya all at Wheatstock! X is ready.

If your results are correct, I gotta say WOW. I think you better put some nomex on for the wisecrack about Howard though

------------------

Black '87 GT Auto - Daily Driver & Autocrosser
Eibach springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K1s, Kumho Ecsta V700s, poly bushings, rear swaybar, front mounted battery, MSD ignition, shift-kit, custom intake scoop

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
should be impressive to see run
rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
*cough* x gonna give it to ya */cough*
ca_xtreme

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
User Banned

Report this Post06-19-2004 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca_xtremeSend a Private Message to ca_xtremeDirect Link to This Post
you said on a v6 well what v6 would that be though??? i didnt think a 2.8 could pull them kind of numbers from the problem with the intake plemnum?

------------------

my car is for sale interested pm me!

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ca_xtreme:

you said on a v6 well what v6 would that be though??? i didnt think a 2.8 could pull them kind of numbers from the problem with the intake plemnum?

3800 turbo

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive !!!

------------------

0 to 75 Audio http://www.cartsys.com/fiero/cal-engine.wav

FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post

Not too shabby... Did the dyno test at the drum or at the flywheel? 468 with nitro & turbo isn't too bad... Spddy's 3800 has somewhere between 425 & 450 at the wheel, with 8psi boost. Too fast for a car that small for me!

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Holy crap!

I'll race your ass! (on the road coarse)

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FordsNeverDie:

Not too shabby... Did the dyno test at the drum or at the flywheel? 468 with nitro & turbo isn't too bad... Spddy's 3800 has somewhere between 425 & 450 at the wheel, with 8psi boost. Too fast for a car that small for me!

Well unless I took the engine out of the car it would test at the wheels .

As for Spddy's car, 425 at the wheels on 8 psi? Im gonna have to see dyno sheets and videos on that. Horsepower has a direct relation to how much air and engine can flow effeciently. The most power you could make on a 3.8L engine at 8 psi would be 434 hp at the crank, and thats with 100% effeciency. An engine set up in race trim, with ported heads (2 valve) and matched cam ect will see 90% at most. 425 wheel hp is about 500 at the crank.
But I guess you never know.

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Didnt you use 2x4's as motor mounts as well?????? Congrats man.
PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Now just keep it running like that for at least a week!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I would say thats enough for having some fun!

have some fun!

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post06-19-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you running those #s just dont blow it up
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

Didnt you use 2x4's as motor mounts as well?????? Congrats man.

no wood. All steel, aluminum and polyurethane for my mounts. You wouldnt believe what it takes to keep that engine from moving back there. Good lord. Ive spent more time building mounts and keeping everything together back there than anything.

Shes good to go to wheatstock though. Im not going to drive it much before next thursday. I dont want to mess something up.

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
Now its time to tear it all apart again right?? JK. Great pulls! What are you thinking you are getting at the crank? I can see everyone at Wheatstock now:

Go KILL EM!

------------------

USED to be NOS3800
1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley and 1.9 rockers: 12.74@105mph
Best 60 Foot: 1.735

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
do you have a dyno sheet?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sounds pretty good! I'll guess 11.1 at 131mph. Will get a prize if I guess right?

This will be a blast! See you at the tree

Paul

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

This will be a blast! See you at the tree

Paul

Wish I could be there!!!!

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

The most power you could make on a 3.8L engine at 8 psi would be 434 hp at the crank, and thats with 100% effeciency. An engine set up in race trim, with ported heads (2 valve) and matched cam ect will see 90% at most. 425 wheel hp is about 500 at the crank.

Don't forced induction engines routinely get over 100% efficiency due to the boost? You are speaking of volumetric efficiency, right?

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Wish I could be there!!!!

Me too... I think I need another ride in that MONSTER!

------------------
www.NAFALCustoms@aol.com
Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!
One of One!!

Click here---> NAFAL Custom's...Fiero Aftermarket part's

PFF
System Bot
FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post

Well unless I took the engine out of the car it would test at the wheels .

As for Spddy's car, 425 at the wheels on 8 psi? Im gonna have to see dyno sheets and videos on that. Horsepower has a direct relation to how much air and engine can flow effeciently. The most power you could make on a 3.8L engine at 8 psi would be 434 hp at the crank, and thats with 100% effeciency. An engine set up in race trim, with ported heads (2 valve) and matched cam ect will see 90% at most. 425 wheel hp is about 500 at the crank.

That is correct.. But with a Turbo charged 3.8L with forced air induction (3.8 S/C T/C), you can run 8psi and easily have 425 hp at the wheels!

FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post

FordsNeverDie

952 posts
Member since May 2003

no wood. All steel, aluminum and polyurethane for my mounts. You wouldnt believe what it takes to keep that engine from moving back there. Good lord. Ive spent more time building mounts and keeping everything together back there than anything.

Shes good to go to wheatstock though. Im not going to drive it much before next thursday. I dont want to mess something up.

That'll be kewl to see the setup with the Nitro and stuff... We'll keep an eye out for it!

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Don't forced induction engines routinely get over 100% efficiency due to the boost? You are speaking of volumetric efficiency, right?

yeah, they can get over 200% volumetric effeciency, but when calculating air flow and cfm, you have to go from the engines N/A standpoint. A stock L36 (3800 NA) is about 85% effecient. When you add boost, you cant calculate more than that, because there is no real way to accurately guage the effeciency, unless you have flow benches, dynos, and all sorts of stuff like that. Im going to graph my boost levels on a compressor map, and i can get an accurate number of my airflow and calculate my theorhetical hp, then see how well it holds water. Ill get back with yall soon on that.

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Ok i calculated my effeciency. At those boost levels and hp numbers, it comes out to be 91% volumetric effecient. Port work, cam profile, and many other factors play into your actual effeciency. Not too bad I guess. Still need an intercooler though
Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Ok i calculated my effeciency. At those boost levels and hp numbers, it comes out to be 91% volumetric effecient. Port work, cam profile, and many other factors play into your actual effeciency. Not too bad I guess. Still need an intercooler though

WTF?

Those #s are WITHOUT an intercooler?

Sick

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
yup, no intercooler. Just alky injection. Once Jim and I get my water/air all finished, I should be able to turn the boost up to about 26 lbs (assuming my head gaskets will handle it) that should put me close to 550 wheel hp.
FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiousity... With that kind of boost, what kind of fuel are you running? You *shouldn't* be able to get those kind of numbers on 92 pump gas. Also, is this a stick or auto?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
those numbers were done on 93 octane pump gas. Dont forget I have alcohol injection, pumping 2 lbs per minute of pure methanol in there. Liquid intercooler in a sense. Only $2.25 a gallon, rather than a grand for a chunk of aluminum.
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

yup, no intercooler. Just alky injection. Once Jim and I get my water/air all finished, I should be able to turn the boost up to about 26 lbs (assuming my head gaskets will handle it) that should put me close to 550 wheel hp.

That is just CRAZY!! But, you are the insane one...

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
Lets see some dyno sheets
PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

Lets see some dyno sheets

whats the matter, dont believe me?

Oh and btw, ive got videos of these pulls too, they will be online within the next 6 hours. Peace!

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
What does the car look like? Got a pic? Great #'s BTW.

------------------
-Chris - Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 3.4 5spd

"It's too low, too rough, too loud, drinks gas, it's totally impractical, but damn good lookin. In other words, It's almost perfect!"
Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I dont have any pix of the body, as I am still doing body work getting everything ready for some orange paint. Right now it is half white and half primer, with aus fiero stage II side scoops, fibersmith chin spoiler, roof scoop (fully functional), and decklid scoop. Daytona GTP hood vents, enkei rsf2 17's, and one wicked rumble. Man i wish I could of had it all done and painted before wheatstock. I sure planned on having it done, but getting laid off from that body shop earlier this year screwed me. oh well. itll get done some day.
Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
with the supercharged setup what was your best dyno pull?
it was just a tick over 400 wasnt it?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
pulled 301 wheel hp, and 351 tq with the SC setup. This was the day I went 12.004. Never dyno'd it after that, but I estimated it to be in the 335-340 range when it was running mid 11's.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
* Sniff * *Sniff *
Our little boy x who started out delivering pizzas has turned out to be a man X ( well at least the car did )

Way to go Ryan, so what will be next? gears? tires? cage ?

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

nocutt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2004 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nocuttSend a Private Message to nocuttDirect Link to This Post
Nice work ryan...two questions, what are you using for your stall...? and where are those "EXPERTS"...now...lol!!

------------------
3800 II v6 intercooled turbo...CWP!

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

* Sniff * *Sniff *
Our little boy x who started out delivering pizzas has turned out to be a man X ( well at least the car did )

Way to go Ryan, so what will be next? gears? tires? cage ?

Ive got the gears I want, Ive got the tires I need, I just really need a cage, cause track officials dont like my car running the times it does without it. They dont realize we have a built in cage in a sense, they just want to see bars in there. Ill have one within 2 months.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 06-20-2004).]

Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2004 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
okok i feel much better now... for some reason i thought you made more before.

Oh yea the new #'s AWESOME, still i cant wait for some race gas and the IC

pulled 301 wheel hp, and 351 tq with the SC setup. This was the day I went 12.004. Never dyno'd it after that, but I estimated it to be in the 335-340 range when it was running mid 11's.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock