reverse light switch adjustment????? by dmcgreene
Started on: 01-19-2011 06:33 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: dmcgreene on 01-20-2011 01:47 PM
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
i have an 86 gt 4 speed.... and ever since i got it.. the back up light have only worked if i hold the gear shift over to the left in reverse,, if i let it go it pops over to the right about an inch but the lights go off, hold it to the left and they come on.. i looked at it with the console off and it seems that its not going far enough left for whatever holds the gear shift against the reverse light switch to actually hold it in place
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
My 85GT is the same way.
I have not tried but the only two possibilities.
There is a detent on the front of the shifter that is suppose to hold the shifter in reverse. So either the select cable is mis-adjusted and not allowing the shifter to move far enough past the detent or the detent cam is worn and not steep enough to hold.

I was actually thinking about trying the adjustment of the select cable on the transmission but it's just so cold I procrastinate.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 01-19-2011).]

dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
its freezing here too..i know what your talking about on the detent thingy.. it seems on mine its like a lil roller thingy i think(its been a few months sense iv looked at it) and its suppose to roll over a lil plate with a hump in it and its suppose to hold it? mine seems to go up on it but not go to the other side and hold
Jim_Martin29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
I have the same problem. I found an adjustment in the shifter. Take the cover off the shifter and look inside. Watch it as you move the shifter in and out of reverse and you will see the little switch that it hits. You carefully and you will see the adjustment.

I'm at work now but can take some photos this evening.

However, I adjusted the switch but it was not enough. It is better, but I still need to hold the shifter over to get the light on. I need to adjust it again, after I replace the leaking coolant hose this weekend.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
There is also a small amount of adjustment on the detent cam but that did not help. There is also some adjustment on some of the reverse switches but that is just to adjust the switch to keep it on if the detent is holding.
I have wondered if the spring on the roll tetter do-hicky gets weak also.
Need to play more.
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
found this in the archives.. im gonna try to see if adjusting the switch tomorrow works
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-074252.html

the last post says sumthin about being adjusted in the engine bay? and rotating sumthin?
outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
the switch itself has or should have a screw in the very tip of it you can unscrew it a little to where it comes on. be careful though after i adjusted mine the pin would bind up so i had to shave the pin down to keep it from binding so i wouldnt be driving with the reverse lights on.

edit: didnt see it was already covered. still play with the switch make sure it doesnt bind after to shift.

[This message has been edited by outlawfiero17 (edited 01-20-2011).]

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post
I fixed my 4 speed by bending the tab that contacts the switch. There wasn't enough adjustment in the switch but there was enough by bending the part that contacts the switch.
The Aura

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Heres a thread I started 7 years ago...

The problem is the detent for the reverse gate on the 4 speed shifter... adjust the detent, then adjust light switch on shifter... see link..

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-060578.html
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
thanks ill try that.. on mine it seems that piece is about an 8th of an inch to right to far.. i just had my concole and shift out lookn at it and cleaning it but didnt think to try to move it.. ill try that next

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock