Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  does your shifter pop out of the reverse gate?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

does your shifter pop out of the reverse gate? by The Aura
Started on: 03-08-2005 03:42 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: dguy on 05-11-2005 10:33 AM
The Aura

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
If your 4speed muncie transmission suffers from popping out of the reverse gate read on for a simple adjustment that will make a world of difference... this also applies to shifters that have to be held to the left once in reverse to keep the back-up lights on. Yes there is the adjustment on the reverse light switch but sometimes in order for them to stay on the switch also engages when the car is in 1st, an unwanted side effect some have put up with. However, this adjustment is made to work in conjunction with the adjustments on the reverse light switch, and picks up when you've reched the limits of the reverse light switch adjustment.

There is an adjustment for the reverse shifter detent that is missed in all documentation covering shifter cable adjustment and shifter adjustment, that's why i'm making such a big deal about it.... us 4 speed muncie drivers have the right to know!
This dentent adjustment is controled by the positioning of a small 10mm located near the front lower portion of the shifter assembley (see pictures)

If you suffer from the shifter needing to be held in the reverse gate to keep the reverse lights on, move the bolt once losened to the left... but note that small increments are the way to go, 1mm can make the world of difference here. basically you want to move the bolt to the left slightly until the shifter stays in the revers gate once placed there.
This adjustment bolt is hard to reach with just the shifter surround removed so I also remove the radio pod surround to get a little more room to work.
Once you get the shifter to stay in the gate follow with a complete shifter cable adjustment and note the difference. You'll never have to hold your reverse lights on again

Let me know if i need to go into further detail, and check out these threads for shifter cable and reverse light adjustment details.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/059350.html (reverse switch adjustment procedures)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040710-2-044695.html (4spd shifter cable adjustment)

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Aura (edited 03-08-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
Nice to know, thanks!
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
adding to favorites, thanks! + for you.
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Great info. I suffer from this myself and haven't gotten around to even looking into it. Thanks for saving me a bunch of time and effort. Gee I love this place.

------------------

AIM-jaxpac257
Daytona or Bust in "05"

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post
I have the reverse light problem and had no idea how to go about fixing it so thanks a lot I guess I'll go try this tonight.
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
You deserve a medal my good man. Will try this as soon as possible. + for you!!!

-Tim

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Mine works fine... Good write up anyways Carson...
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
nice - never looked at it before - All I used todo is adjust the screw on the reverse switch
olaf_fiero27

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
ive been trying to solve this problem for a while now, thanks a lot carson! ++++
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
bump for the night crew.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks just did mine
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Did GM forget about this adjustment? Look at the last line in this article:

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Did GM forget about this adjustment? Look at the last line in this article:

I assume that the article is referring to the automagic transmissions. How quickly any given gear engages in a manual is at the discretion of the driver.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock