Dash Speakers? by Centex Pilot
Started on: 02-04-2010 07:24 PM
Replies: 77
Last post by: lander on 08-02-2011 05:39 PM
Centex Pilot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
Hey folks. Will 5.25" rounds work in the dash without cutting?
Thanks,
Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Myke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
No. Too wide. You would be better off mounting a custom kick panel for that speaker. Bouncing sound off a window works (sort of) with sub woofers, not so much with co-axles or separates.

That speaker in the front is a 4X10.
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Myke:

No. Too wide. You would be better off mounting a custom kick panel for that speaker. Bouncing sound off a window works (sort of) with sub woofers, not so much with co-axles or separates.

That speaker in the front is a 4X10.

5.25" won't fit? Why didn't someone tell me? That's just great, now I have to remove these from my car :

Seriously they will fit but it is tight.

Mike

Edit to add: Idea blatantly stolen from this thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-080031.html

[This message has been edited by Nosferatu187 (edited 02-04-2010).]

Myke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nosferatu187:

5.25" won't fit? Why didn't someone tell me? That's just great, now I have to remove these from my car :

Seriously they will fit but it is tight.

Mike

He said without cutting.
Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
OK, thanks. I was worried about that. Not looking for any show winners just good sound for the car. I know the stocks are 4 X 10 but had seen elsewhere on the forum folks talking about 5.25's in the dash. Guess I will go with 4" and a sub. Don't really care for the oval 4 X 10's but also don't want to spend a fortune! Have 4 X 6 kickers in the pillars and am not impressed with them.
Thanks,
Steve
Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post

Centex Pilot

117 posts
Member since Jan 2010
Hey Myke..... did you have to cut and will the stock grill fit flush with the dash?
Thanks,
Steve
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
I didn't have to cut anything. I used a high tech material for the plate - a.k.a. ceiling fan blades. Worked great but the ceiling fan looks a little funny now.

Mike
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

Nosferatu187

697 posts
Member since Mar 2007

Originally posted by Centex Pilot:

Hey Myke..... did you have to cut and will the stock grill fit flush with the dash?
Thanks,
Steve

I guess you meant that for me? Yep the stock grills fit but like I said it is tight.

Mike
Myke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
You know it takes very little cutting to do what he has done. The speakers (if his set up is typical) are mounted to the plate, a little cutting around in the dash, and the plate is mounted to the dash. It is a pretty simple installation, I have done a hundred of them. I prefer the custom kick panel, though. Sounds a lot better even if they are not amplified. If you are thinking of a sub (even the stock setup) it is more work than putting in the 5.25's IMO.

Myke
Myke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post

Myke

417 posts
Member since Sep 2003
Steve, what is the depth of the cone you are using? What about the basket? I have not seen this work yet without edging a little. Do you have a pic of the dash with it out?
Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys...sorry for the name and post confusion!!! Have not picked out the speakers yet and am planning on doing this on saturday. I'll go with the 5.25's and post the info!

Thanks for the help!!!!

Steve
PFF
System Bot
Myke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
Awesome info, Mike. Thank you for the PM's!
Have to change my answer to yes. With the right speakers, you can easily mount in the dash with Fierosound's cut-out.

Myke
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
My new to me fiero needs a stereo. I would love to put some nicer speakers in it like this. I have also been trying to find the best head unit for the car. I want something that is red illuminated and a high quality such as Alpine, Kenwood, or pioneer, clarion... etc. DEfinitely want USB on the faceplate and good sound with some nice replacement speakers. Also want a future 8" sub somewhere in the car so amp is necessary with sub output. Anyone got a nice suggestion and better yet post pics of your stereo install( head units) peace

Pete
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
I have done the 5.25 components, and you do have to do a little cutting in the dash opening for the basket to fit. It's easy work with a Dremel and cut-off blade. If you use plate material that is thicker than 1/8th of an inch, one corner of the plate will need to be sanded thinner if you want the grills to sit flush as well. But the improved sound is worth the extra effort.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
just finished "Kappa" series infinity's --- sound is great and just off my 45x4 sony headunit.. These 4x6's are 60W RMS and 180 peak. with built in crossovers for no distortion.. I plan to amp them but not there yet.. The rears are 4" separates -50W RMS & 150W peak also with crossovers.... no cutting -- They sound like a 6 1/2" with tweets -- no paper crap cones either - top quality, I think..

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Magnet just barely fit in the rears

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I just put 5.25's in my 86 Coupe and did have to trim the dash a little for the cup to fit.

and put some 4" ers in the B Pilar

Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
Wow.. all those installations look great. Will be doing mine tomorrow. Finally have some sunshine here in Austin. Now...what about subwoofers? Had a small bazooka which I put behind the drivers seat when I had my 85gt but it was a real tight fit. I do not want to put anything in the console as I want to keep it all stock. Any suggestions on something in the 8" range that will fit behind one of the seats?
Thanks,
Steve
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeDirect Link to This Post
I took out my Pioneers in favor of this set-up:

Haven't looked back since; although I did have to cut up the dash a little for the front speakers. They're powered by a Monsoon deck and I still haven't figured out quite what's wrong with my factory sub.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hye_4_life:

I took out my Pioneers in favor of this set-up:

Haven't looked back since; although I did have to cut up the dash a little for the front speakers. They're powered by a Monsoon deck and I still haven't figured out quite what's wrong with my factory sub.

Nice choice on the rears... They sound good, yeah?

-----------------

About the subs....... 8" will be tough if the depth of the sub is too much... or...... I hope your short. I know many have done it too... Some cut into the firewall also... I don't want to give away my secrets but look into shallow depth subs... sometimes you can find them that only require .5-.75 cu ft of air "sealed".. perfect for a 17x20x4 or even 3" box... I too hate the console subs. You go def in one ear. Bouncing the bass wave maybe okay but still. Can't hide from thieves very well either.. Sorry guys who have them.. Just my opinion.

If your worried about mid bass... again a secret but there are "small" subs that the stock box under the dash is perfect for. Plus it's already ported for the trying to hit lower the hertz. Just have it on a crossover or eq to tune it properly for NO distortion. You will have to modify the mount to make it work for the size I'm talking about but not much. I think finding the original size speaker other than the Fierostore will be hard... But why go that route when there are WAY better speakers out there for this application. Most of the good quality 3's and 4's have a 2way.. which is what you don't want... I'm thinkin.
Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'm short!!! I had a 6" bazooka tube in college when I had my 85gt. I'm looking at either some of the slimline pinoeer's or a boss audio bass600 which is meant for under the seat applications in full size cars. Anyone had any experience with the boss audio unit? Smallest I can find is 8".
Thanks,
Steve
Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post

Centex Pilot

117 posts
Member since Jan 2010
OK, sorry for being lazy! I just did a search on this sub here and looks like PFF folks like it. Not show quality but easy and very good for the price. Now if I can find one locally that would be great since I want to finish it out this weekend.
Steve
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

If your worried about mid bass... again a secret but there are "small" subs that the stock box under the dash is perfect for.

What secret? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000079.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Actually .....if you really want to know..... I was thinking JL .... I love their speakers and I "still" have my 15 year old 12W5's... Anyway

6w6v3 - 150W 6.5" that sound like a 10" .. -- .15 ( is what I meant sorry) cu ft of air -- 41Hz --- 4.25 magnet dia and 4.25 mounting depth

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 02-06-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Actually .....if you really want to know..... I was thinking JL .... I love their speakers and I "still" have my 15 year old 12W5's... Anyway

6w6v3 - 150W 6.5" that sound like a 10" .. .5 - .75 cu ft of air -- 41Hz --- 4.25 magnet dia and 4.25 mounting depth

In the dash???

I am installing the 6W3v3-4 in a custom box under the dash... .15 min sealed box size, frequency response: 30-300 Hz..

http://signature.crutchfiel...search=6W3v3-4&ssi=0
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
yep--- under the dash.. of course---- PLEASE let use know how you like it... Thanks for the correction -- I meant .15 cu ft of air... I'm thinking of my 13tw5 for the .5-.75 cu ft that I want behind my seat. sorry

It's so beautiful.. isn't it?

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I have a little question about making a custom housing for the speaker in the dash. Would it be better to be made out of fiberglass, or masonite?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
In the dash.. The 4x10 area?

I used 1/8" MDF myself. I was afraid of cracking a plexiglass sheet if I went that route plus a thick piece would be 10-15 dollar range, Fiberglass would need to be built up like two or three layers of mat... It would work though but time to construct then cut out out the shape. Plus you may not get a smooth surface without sanding unless you made a proper mold. seem like a hassle to me.

Even better, I had the mdf in the garage laying around so the price was right.

Katatak -- looks like he used fiberglass--- Looks good too.

MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
5x7's. Cut the 6x8 adapter lips off and they fit well. They sound incredible compared to 4x10's.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 02-07-2010).]

Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
The 5.25's fit fine with very minor cutting and sound great. Unfortunately, there is no one here in austin that carries Boss Audio products so I will have to order. Why do these big boxes even have retail outlets anymore when 80% of what they sell is on-line only!

Steve
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
no boss here? have you tried all the audio stores? custom sounds, etc.?
also we need pics of your car/project!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
Went to custom sounds yesterday. Tried all the chain retailers..pep boys, autozone, best buy, fry's, walmart, etc.. Walmart and best buy have them on-line only. Any good ideas for local aside from what I tried. Been out of car stereos for a few decades!
Thanks,
Steve
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
The best material to make the adapter plate out of is Lexan! The amout of material you cut out (of your adapter plate) for the 5.25" speaker is "almost" the size of the plate. I had about 1/4" on either side of material left after cutting out the hole for the speaker. IMO, if the plate was made out of wood (of any kind), it would be VERY weak in this area. I went to a local glass company and they gave me a couple small scrap piece for free. It worked out perfect!

I do not think fiberglass is the easiest material to use in this area. As mentioned above, you will need multiple layers and you want it to be nice and smooth...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 02-07-2010).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

I do not think fiberglass is the easiest material to use in this area. As mentioned above, you will need multiple layers and you want it to be nice and smooth...

Buy a sheet of fiberglass... 12x12x1/8th $10.17

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8537k23/=5ptd05

I used to buy it to make replacement parts for RC cars.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-07-2010).]

Centex Pilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Centex PilotSend a Private Message to Centex PilotDirect Link to This Post
Hey Revin...just reread your post. Sure, I'll post pics. 86 Red GT bought locally.
Steve
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Buy a sheet of fiberglass... 12x12x1/8th $10.17

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8537k23/=5ptd05

I used to buy it to make replacement parts for RC cars.

I was refering to making your own...

I still believe the Lexan is the best... Duno how well the sheet fiberglass will hold up with a very thin edge. Also duno if the fiberglass sheet with fray along the edge while cutting the circle out... But I guess it is another option...
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

I was refering to making your own...

I still believe the Lexan is the best... Duno how well the sheet fiberglass will hold up with a very thin edge. Also duno if the fiberglass sheet with fray along the edge while cutting the circle out... But I guess it is another option...

I figured you were talking about making your own, but you don't need to. The sheet will hold up very well. It should not fray, unless you burn the edge. Back in the day when RC cars first came out the sheet fiberglass was commonly used as a basis for the chassis. Since then they have moved on to injection molded plastics, sometime impregnated with graphite. Some of the more costly cars use graphite sheet, much like fiberglass but using graphite fibers instead of glass. The fiberglass sheets are really pretty darn strong, but for the cost, I'd go with a flexible plastic. I used some 1/8" plywood for mine and it worked okay, but it did get real thin around the basket.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I figured you were talking about making your own, but you don't need to. The sheet will hold up very well. It should not fray, unless you burn the edge. Back in the day when RC cars first came out the sheet fiberglass was commonly used as a basis for the chassis. Since then they have moved on to injection molded plastics, sometime impregnated with graphite. Some of the more costly cars use graphite sheet, much like fiberglass but using graphite fibers instead of glass. The fiberglass sheets are really pretty darn strong, but for the cost, I'd go with a flexible plastic. I used some 1/8" plywood for mine and it worked okay, but it did get real thin around the basket.

LOL... I have over 10 grand in rc gear so I know exactly what your talking about....
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Are these the Boss Subs youre talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-...ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c <---8 Inch

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-...ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c <---10 Inch
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
/\ I NEED those
/\
/\
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Yea I've been wanting to get 1 for behind the passenger seat but haven't found any good speakers to put in the dash or pillars yet so I haven't bought anything, plus i know nothing about setting up subs and amps lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock