Dash Speakers? by Centex Pilot
Started on: 02-04-2010 07:24 PM
Replies: 77
Last post by: lander on 08-02-2011 05:39 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by White88Formula:

Yea I've been wanting to get 1 for behind the passenger seat but haven't found any good speakers to put in the dash or pillars yet so I haven't bought anything, plus i know nothing about setting up subs and amps lol

I couldn't have a more exact situation
IP: Logged
Daniel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I would like to replace the pillar speakers sometime as well, my fronts are a little smaller than most:

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daniel:

I would like to replace the pillar speakers sometime as well, my fronts are a little smaller than most:

Is that a hud in there?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I'll answer that one. It is a heads up, and you can find a little more info in the thread about technolagies in Fiero's
blkpearl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
Well I am hacking up my stock dash to put in 6.5 seperates in their own box. It's going to sound awesome with either Image Dynamics speakers all the way around. Or Tang Band speakers from home audio.

I will put up pictures when I can. I will be recovering the whole dash in a very nice black vinyl (looks Like Leather) so all that will be seen is the 6.5 and 1 inch speaker grills. 10' sub is mounted in the front compartment.
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
What do you guys think of these? and will they fit in stock locations * for the front i know i will need to make a mounting board *

http://www.onlinecarstereo....nity_Kappa_529i.aspx

http://www.onlinecarstereo....nfinity_4629cfp.aspx
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

I'll answer that one. It is a heads up, and you can find a little more info in the thread about technolagies in Fiero's

i think he means my thread in my signature, modernize your fiero with technology...

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 03-16-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Wow putting 5.25 Infinity Kappa Components in are more of a b*tch then i thought they'd be....taking me forever not to mention my damn dremel chewed my dash, hopefully the speaker covers cover over it so its not visible
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
AHHHHH SH*T.....Finished cutting the driverside dash to install the 5.25 Kappa and im hitting the plastic black rectangle thing under it with the magnet....now idk what to do...I cant tell if the black plastic is a defroster vent or if it has something to do with the gauge cluster?!?!?! Suggestions?
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
It`s the ac duct.
It`s a solid piece that runs the length of the dash right under the surface.
Th gauges are pretty flat in the back and don`t even reach as far as the speakers.
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
So if i were to cut out a notch for the speaker magnet to recess in id have to remelt the piece and mold it to fit around the speaker and melt it back together with a soldering iron?
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

AHHHHH SH*T.....Finished cutting the driverside dash to install the 5.25 Kappa and im hitting the plastic black rectangle thing under it with the magnet....now idk what to do...

I've never heard of anyone having problems with 5-1/4" speakers. Some guys have even mounted 4"x10" AND 6"x9" speakers in there. Your speakers must be very deep or have very large magnets. Pictures would help show us what you're doing and where you're having problems.

Here's the back of the 5-1/4" midrange in the Infinity Kappa 50.7cs set I am using. It's a Neodymium motor structure with integrated heatsink.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-08-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
How do I post pictures on here? If i knew how id post some and Im using almost the exact same model as you except mine are the Infinity Kappa 50.9 round magnets they must be a newer model
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeDirect Link to This Post

AHHHHH SH*T.....Finished cutting the driverside dash to install the 5.25 Kappa and im hitting the plastic black rectangle thing under it with the magnet....now idk what to do...I cant tell if the black plastic is a defroster vent or if it has something to do with the gauge cluster?!?!?! Suggestions?

I ran into that same problem with my Kappa set, I set the speaker in as deep as I could and screwed it down with the stock screws on the tweeter side and the screws that came with the speaker on the woofer side. Then carefully put the speaker cover over it and it fit.

Great speakers by the way.
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
That's the exact set I have I installed the tweeters from the bottom the passenger side speaker cover fits almost all the way down except the bottom left corner sticks up but I'm not worried about that right now my problem is the driver side how did you get yours to fit?!?! Also how do I post pics?!?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
I had clearance issues with the heating duct also, so I notched the corner of the heating duct and glassed it over.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-07-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Fiber glass? I've never used it before. And what did you use to notch it? Dremel or hand tool?
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Fiber glass? I've never used it before. And what did you use to notch it? Dremel or hand tool?

Yeah fiberglass, woven not the kind made of all the random little threads. I just used a razor knife to cut the corner off and widdle it back a little until it cleared. Not saying it was easy, kinda a tight spot to work in.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-07-2010).]

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
alittle off topic.
i heard round speakers provide better sound then oval style speakers.
is that true?

i bought some cheapy 4x10 speakers online for $20 because i didnt have speakers when i bought the car.
and there the worst speakers iv ever heard. i would rather hear the wind then listen whats coming out of thos speakers.
Lone Ranger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lone RangerClick Here to visit Lone Ranger's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lone RangerDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity (which is to say, before I make the same mistake!) what kind of el cheapo speakers did you buy off ebay? Thanks!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
They say that rounds don't distort as much because of the equal mount all the way around the cone... I feel this is true but others will argue.
PFF
System Bot
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Where do you get the fiberglass kit from local auto store?!?!? And I have 3 infinity kappas in right now and it's about 10xs louder, clearer, and better quality then the 2 4x6 and 2 4x10s I removed
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

White88Formula

434 posts
Member since Aug 2009
Heres mine

Fronts

Rears

My Clearance problem where im pretty sure its hitting is the white line drawn

This is the 5.25 from other angles if needed

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
So just to be sure before i cut into it that plastic piece where i have the white pencil mark is the defrost or vent duct?
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Where do you get the fiberglass kit from local auto store?!?!? And I have 3 infinity kappas in right now and it's about 10xs louder, clearer, and better quality then the 2 4x6 and 2 4x10s I removed

Yeah Autozone, Checker, Pep Boys, they should all have fiberglass mat and resin (Bondo brand). Heck even Home Depot or Wal Mart should have it.

And if I remember right it's the duct going to the vent next to the steering wheel. That's where I had to cut so the magnet on my speaker would clear.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-08-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok good, thanks for the info, as long as its a duct and not some cover for dash wires i shouldnt have a problem, i was thinkin of using pumpkin carving tools because they are basically scroll saw blades with handles lol, might be easy to do but as long as that fiberglassing isnt hard shouldnt be much of a problem now that i have all the info, thanks again
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
As I suspected - BIG magnets. Not sure why more manufacturers aren't using the Neodymium magnets - more efficient, more powerful and therefore smaller. Probably because the BIG magnets are not only cheaper, but "more impressive looking" to the unknowing buyer??? The Tang-Band subwoofer I used to upgrade the sound using the stock sub-housing also has a Neodymium magnet. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

Anyway, for the duct - you should be able to carefully heat up the plastic with a heat gun and just bend that corner inward.

My Clearance problem where im pretty sure its hitting is the white line drawn

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Yea I'd like to do the heat gun idea and mold the plastic without actually cutting anything but the gun I have is fairly a small gun but its still too big to actually fit in there, idk if they make any smaller heat guns id have to see if i could find one, because i really dont wanna cut and glass if i dont have to
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Yea I'd like to do the heat gun idea and mold the plastic without actually cutting anything but the gun I have is fairly a small gun but its still too big to actually fit in there, idk if they make any smaller heat guns id have to see if i could find one, because i really dont wanna cut and glass if i dont have to

I'd pull the dash out. The duct is attached to the back of it.

Before you ask - takes under 30 minutes - you don't even have to pull the cluster.
Directions in the Service Manual pages 8C-16 and 8C-17 or use Search (this has been asked a LOT).
See here http://www.fierosearch.com/...dash&Action=DoSearch

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I'd pull the dash out. The duct is attached to the back of it.

Before you ask - takes under 30 minutes - you don't even have to pull the cluster.
Directions in the Service Manual pages 8C-16 and 8C-17 or use Search (this has been asked a LOT).
See here http://www.fierosearch.com/...dash&Action=DoSearch

^
Good info there. If I had a heat gun that's how I would have done it. I'd give Fierosound a + but he already has one from me.
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Yeah he always seems to have alot of good info....I looked at some of the other threads and one of them lists that the dash removal and reinstall is upwards of a 3 day process...I really didnt think this speaker install would be so much trouble lol
PFF
System Bot
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

White88Formula

434 posts
Member since Aug 2009
Guess thats with paint and all but im sure for me and first time it'd take me at least a full day to take out mold vent and get speakers to sit flush... blah
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
I heated the duct up with a torch and pushed it in with a file.

Matt
lander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for landerSend a Private Message to landerDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Recently I installed the same speakers as White88Formula did, and found that by moving the woofer towards the center I've avoided having to cut the dash or vent duct at all.

I've used the very helpful template found on this forum to cut 1/4" laminated particle board. As others have noted before me, it's very fragile, so I cut it into two. It eased the installation immensely, re crossover (velcroed to the firewall as suggested) and wiring. The woofer seems to sit comfortably in only one position with a little pressure...

Hope this helps. First post here; I'll put up pics as soon as I figure out how...(anyone?)

L A
p.s. sound is incredibly improved

[This message has been edited by lander (edited 07-29-2011).]

lander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for landerSend a Private Message to landerDirect Link to This Post

lander

5 posts
Member since Jul 2011
Pictures

Test fit:

Prewiring:

Crossover location:

Almost done:

Driver's side:

The covers fit nicely. Thanks everyone for sharing pointers- hope this helps someone as well!
Now for a sub...

L A
Gixxer Quad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Actually .....if you really want to know..... I was thinking JL .... I love their speakers and I "still" have my 15 year old 12W5's... Anyway

6w6v3 - 150W 6.5" that sound like a 10" .. -- .15 ( is what I meant sorry) cu ft of air -- 41Hz --- 4.25 magnet dia and 4.25 mounting depth

while i agree with you on the choice for JL for the subs, i would recommend their shallow 13". i have two on order, so i'll post pics after i get the box(es) made and everything installed. but here's a photo to snag your interest...

Gixxer Quad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadDirect Link to This Post

Gixxer Quad

265 posts
Member since Jul 2011
and since everybody else is doing it too, here are some pics of what i'm installing. haven't bothered putting anything in yet, but as soon as i get my subs in, i'll get my power cabling and rca cables and go to town,

lander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for landerSend a Private Message to landerDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Please keep us updated...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock