Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Some say this can't be done, a V12 install (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Some say this can't be done, a V12 install by Russ Fiero
Started on: 05-24-2009 09:16 PM
Replies: 146
Last post by: G_Reaper on 06-27-2011 12:43 PM
Russ Fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
Have looked at many Fiero sites & Kitcar forums many people say that a V12 can't be installed transversly. So i wanted to give it a try.
This one is a BMW V12 out of a 88 750il.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
You're not gonna get away with that !!! No hittin and runnin on us ! We need more info and pics !!
Russ Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
The throttle bodies were moved to the rear of the intake manifolds with a 90 degree adapter.

The frame rails were cut off and new ones made 2 inches wider.

The engine trans is moved so far over the trans is under the frame rail.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
MORE... MORE MORE MORE!
Russ Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
The strut towers were moved 2 inches also.

A tube cradle was made with suspension points moved out 2 inches.

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
OMG this is SWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!
Russ Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
I had 2 possibilities on starter positions the original spot or a back side starter on the trans.

This is the Ford starter off the Taurus.

This is a picture of the flywheel it's a redrilled 2.5 flywheel.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Now you are teasing us. 2-3 pictures per post is just cruel! POST IT ALL!!

(PS.. I love this thread already. )
Russ Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post

In this picture there is a halfshaft and redrilled front wheel hub.
Drilled to 4 3/4 to match the BMW so to use it's rims.

Other views of the halfshaft.

And a view of the carrier bearing.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
This is sweet, sumpin new !! What and introduction to the forum !
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap that is cool. You need a better camera or better lighting for us to see the details.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Here is the question: Is it running yet? If so, you better make it to the Wisconsin Dells in one week.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
What did you do, to beef up the tranny, so it won't grenade?
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
That thing is a death trap. Post your address and I will come by and dispose of it properly

That thing is f'n sweeeeeeeet!!! Nice build
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
OMG!!! the lambo guys are gonna go nuts when they see this!! Dude keep this going! I want to see this baby running.
Way to think outside of the box. I do know one guy that has one in north & south, but this would open up a few doors for us when you get this baby done.

Oh yea forgot to ask, have you put the dist caps with wires on yet?

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 05-24-2009).]

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
HOLY COW!!!

------------------

drive it like you stole it! yesterday!

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
WOW, that is all.

------------------

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Russ, it is about time you started posting pics of this thing so I do not have to keep it a secret any longer!!

You should post the details of your tranny mounted starter in the LS4/F40 thread since you are using a stock fiero ring gear, your starter solution might work for the F40 as well.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I'll give you an A+ for creativity but I am not so sure that the design will work. The first question is strut tower strength and rigidity. You've narrowed the strut towers and did you shave the brace beam that goes across? The other area of concern is the exhaust manifold to firewall clearance. While you may get this to work, there's got to be an easier way to get you the 300+ horsepower that you crave. I guess that its uniqueness that you are looking to acheive as some Fieros have already run in the 10's and 11's. I doubt if you will get anywhere close to these ET's.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
C'mon Dennis, be kind. Give him a chance to show us how he's planning to solve the challenges that all of us including Russ Fiero no doubt can foresee. I'd say by the looks of his cradle that there aren't too many mechanical challenges Russ won't be able to overcome. As for horsepower, ultimate top end, 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times, the sheer gee-whiz factor of this swap over-shadows the importance of any of those measures. I'm sure they'll be impressive just the same.

Keep it up Russ, and don't forget to shine a brighter light on those parts!
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I'll give you an A+ for creativity but I am not so sure that the design will work. The first question is strut tower strength and rigidity. You've narrowed the strut towers and did you shave the brace beam that goes across? The other area of concern is the exhaust manifold to firewall clearance. While you may get this to work, there's got to be an easier way to get you the 300+ horsepower that you crave. I guess that its uniqueness that you are looking to acheive as some Fieros have already run in the 10's and 11's. I doubt if you will get anywhere close to these ET's.

Not everyone wants a 3800SC
While you may get this to work??
Looks like he IS getting it to work
And you're right, the uniqueness plays a big factor
A V12 in a Fiero is wow!!
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
You freaking jerk!

I was supposed to post mine first...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

C'mon Dennis, be kind. Give him a chance to show us how he's planning to solve the challenges that all of us including Russ Fiero no doubt can foresee. I'd say by the looks of his cradle that there aren't too many mechanical challenges Russ won't be able to overcome. As for horsepower, ultimate top end, 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times, the sheer gee-whiz factor of this swap over-shadows the importance of any of those measures. I'm sure they'll be impressive just the same.

Keep it up Russ, and don't forget to shine a brighter light on those parts!

I'm all for the project and not ragging on the guy, just raising concerns, and trying to apply some logic. This is without a doubt a very ingenious an aggressive project that most of us would not even entertain but if Russ is doing it for uniqueness and to prove a point then he certainly has my support and well wishes. BTW I rated Russ a positive for this project.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-25-2009).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Whoa !!
Russ Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
Worked on the top frame rails today.

The old ones were rusted on the bottom.
The rear trunk section is a removeable bolt in section now.

Have had the RS dist cap on and off to see if it can be removed in car.
The strut tower angles out at the bottom so the cap comes off and goes down.
The strut towers are in the original position only the inner rounded section is cut off.
The strut cross brace only hooks to the rear flat section.
The holes in the rear of the strut towers are where the spot welds used to be.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
farkin a man! that is pretty neat. have fun changing the belts tho

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
Love it man thats awesome!!! Great i like when pply say it can't be done!!! BUT PLEASE GET MORE LIGHT FOR YOUR PICS THERE VERY HARD TO SEE!!!! Thank you!!!
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post
While this is an interesting swap, it isn't up there with many others in terms of performance.

The V12 only put out 299 BHP out of 5.4 litres. A turbo 3.4 or a normally aspirated V8 can easiy match that wthout the instalation problems.

I like V12s a lot (I own one) but I am not sure that one belongs in a Fiero, other than for wow factor.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
except this motor is all aluminum and will weigh less than a cast iron chevy v8 .i think this project is awesome , so many people have said they are doing or have done a v12 swap but these are the first pics of one being done .looks great .
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
other than for wow factor.........
And what's wrong with that?
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Not everyone has to travel a quarter of a mile in 10-11 seconds, not everyone wants a 3.4 or 3800sc. Jezz I say build what you want, I say putting an iron block v8 in a fiero is crazy (JMO). I am glad to see someone doing what others said could not be done (transverse)
I am pulling for you, keep it up and can't wait to hear it run.

PFF
System Bot
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeDirect Link to This Post
Awesome build and what a way to show that it can be done!
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Nice work so far!
Are you planning to use the BMW PCM for engine management ?

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
This is wild dude, amazing work keep it up
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
*Adds to favorites*
This is so innovative. Awesome work and Good luck!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
THIS is the engine that should go into the Miura project.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't think it matters what horsepower or 1/4 mile this car gets. A true V-12 is sweeeeet!!!
I can't wait to hear it running. (in my mind I'll probably compare it to the Lamborghini Miura V-12 -- Everyone has to hear that engine.. so smooooth)

Is the car going to get custom headers like Michael Vallinder's BMW V8 Fiero headers
(video: Video of Michael Vallinders BMW V8 Fiero running

Russ achieved, what many deemed impossible.

Myself included. I always though we'll see a W-12 engine block pic VW W-12 engine first in a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 05-26-2009).]

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I don't think it matters what horsepower or 1/4 mile this car gets. A true V-12 is sweeeeet!!!
I can't wait to hear it running. (in my mind I'll probably compare it to the Lamborghini Miura V-12 -- Everyone has to hear that engine.. so smooooth)

Is the car going to get custom headers like Michael Vallinder's BMW V8 Fiero headers
(video: Video of Michael Vallinders BMW V8 Fiero running

Russ achieved, what many deemed impossible.

Myself included. I always though we'll see a W-12 engine block pic VW W-12 engine first in a Fiero.

Michael Vallinder's engine is the best sounding I've ever heard in a Fiero
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

While this is an interesting swap, it isn't up there with many others in terms of performance.

The V12 only put out 299 BHP out of 5.4 litres. A turbo 3.4 or a normally aspirated V8 can easiy match that wthout the instalation problems.

I like V12s a lot (I own one) but I am not sure that one belongs in a Fiero, other than for wow factor.

Russ is a very good friend of mine and he loves fabrication challanges (like myself). I am pretty sure this build is not about absolute performance, but more of a fabrication excercise in doing something very different. He already has fieros with: BBC, SBC, and 4.1 caddy. 8 years ago his daily driver was a 3800 series 1 and there is a near complete 3.4TDC/4.10 4 speed swap on the shelf... He spent many years as an automotive tech, fabrication shop welder and machinist (has a mini machine shop in his garage) and pretty much can fabricate any part needed for any of his projects.

Russ has a bunch of neat projects and not all of them are Fieros.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Russ's shop is quite dark and I would rather see more fab work than have Russ take the time to add more lights.

Russ since you are using Photobucket, you can edit the pics to be lighter. I can see them just fine at work, but they are very dark on my monitor at home.

Here is one of my pics from the last time I stopped by a couple of months ago:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock