Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  88 GT 5 speed Northstar Swap Thread (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
88 GT 5 speed Northstar Swap Thread by buds
Started on: 01-06-2008 11:00 PM
Replies: 139
Last post by: IXSLR8 on 04-01-2011 12:20 AM
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on my swap for a few weeks now....Thought I'd better start a thread about it before I'm finished.

Started out buying a '93 and a '94 STS....pulled the motor and everything else I needed then sold them both again.

The '94 had lower K's but did need a head gasket so thats the one I pulled for my swap. I am waiting on headbolts to put the N* back together but I had the day off today so I pulled the motor from the stand and pretty much have it mounted.

I modified the cradle last week leaving the original front cross member in until I welded in the new one. I also built a jig to keep the trans mount in the original place.

And the new mount.

Here is the mods to the getrag trans

Also got a chance to clean and paint it.

N* and trans meet for the first time

Then I moved engine and trans onto the cradle and bolted the trans using the stock mounts. I had a poly dogbone and thought I can't use it anymore so I am using the poly for my motor mounts.

I leveled the the motor and checked for clearance...Looks good

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Front engine mount

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

And the the rear engine mount...I just need to fab a few brackets to hold the mount....Will be the same idea as the front mount.

Thats it for now.......
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000
Forgot this picture...

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Subscribing!

--Allen
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I like your rear mount ..what did you use for the poly insert?
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I like your rear mount ..what did you use for the poly insert?

The poly on both mounts were what use to be poly dog bone bushings....I had to machine them down from 1.75" to 1.50"

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 01-07-2008).]

Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. If i had to do my mounts all over again i would use the same round bushing idea that you have instead of the gm trans mounts i'm using.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I know I can't see it in the picture but, is there enough clearance for the suspension travel on that axle and the engine mount?
Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:

Started out buying a '93 and a '94 STS....pulled the motor and everything else I needed then sold them both again.

Huummmm. ck your PMs

Russ544
Doright

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DorightSend a Private Message to DorightDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work!
It is very obvious your not just a weekend worrior!
I thought there was a ready made kit for this swap? forgive me if I am wrong I am new around here
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I know I can't see it in the picture but, is there enough clearance for the suspension travel on that axle and the engine mount?

I think there is but I also think I am going to change it a little after giving it some more thought.
PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000

Originally posted by Doright:

Very nice work!
It is very obvious your not just a weekend worrior!
I thought there was a ready made kit for this swap? forgive me if I am wrong I am new around here

Thank you....I have been welding stuff since I was a kid but just self taught. I haven't heard of a N* kit but I am sure its only a matter of time.
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Mike, are those my brother inlaws Caddies??? They look much better once all cleaned up. Haven't seen them looking that way in 5 years.

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

e-mail: joetrentadue@hotmail.com

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

Mike, are those my brother inlaws Caddies??? They look much better once all cleaned up. Haven't seen them looking that way in 5 years.

Thats them Joe...I washed...I waxed...I cleaned....I scrubbed....and I cleaned some more....The grey '93 came up really nice for 260K

Thanks again for the tip

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 01-09-2008).]

4.9 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4.9 FormulaSend a Private Message to 4.9 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to starting on this same swap in my formula

what kind of clutch are you using? in my current 4.9 i had a local shop resurface the flywheel side with a performance ceramic material. i think that would still work but im wondering if there are other cost effective options

thanks - steve
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I haven't bought a clutch yet but I am leaning towards the Spec stage 3+ and just using a modified '88 flywheel which is now ready to go.

I redid the rear engine mount and gained 1.5" for axle movement and also fabbed up a bracket to put the belt tensior pulley where the power steering pump was mounted similar to what Russ did. (thanks Russ)

I will put some more pics up tonight.

Also thinking of doing a torque strut but not sure if its needed....Looking for input on this if anyone has any.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

I haven't bought a clutch yet but I am leaning towards the Spec stage 3+ and just using a modified '88 flywheel which is now ready to go.

I redid the rear engine mount and gained 1.5" for axle movement and also fabbed up a bracket to put the belt tensior pulley where the power steering pump was mounted similar to what Russ did. (thanks Russ)

I will put some more pics up tonight.

Also thinking of doing a torque strut but not sure if its needed....Looking for input on this if anyone has any.

I used 4 of the very soft Fiero tranny mounts for my swap, so yes, I needed _two_ dogbones, but even with your mounts I'd still recomend using one dogbone. it's fairly easy to cut the left flange off the old Fiero mounting point and move the dogbone to the other side of the remaining Fiero flange. that gets things lined up with the end of the N* head.

edit. a picture is worth a thousand words :

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-09-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Thats a good looking set-up Russ....Do you have a larger pic of your dogbone ?

Here is my new mount....Should have lots of clearance now

It started out as 3/8" x 5" flat bar

We have a bunch 3/8" Flat bar around our shop so I am using it for most of my brackets...Maybe a little overkill but it gets the job done.

More pics to come after I throw the kids in the tub.

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Thats a good looking set-up Russ....Do you have a larger pic of your dogbone ?

sure thing.

This is the dogbone itself. made from an old 4 cyl dog that I cut in half and bolted one of the ends into my fabricated arm. the other end has some nylon bushings I found laying around pressed into it.

I call this piece the "bridge" for lack of a better term. it bolts onto each head to hold the dogbone

a better pic of the modification to the Fiero bracket.

compleated

what do you do in your "shop". you must work on Cats or something . how the heck did you bend that new mount? hefty stuff.

lookin good,
Russ544

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-09-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
We are a steel cutting shop capable of cutting upto 25" dia Inc 718 or as small as 1/4" round bar. Looks a little empty in this pic but it was taken right after we moved in and set-up our new location.

That dogbone is a work of art Russ It doesn't interfere with the tensior at all ?

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000
Lets see what else have I done....

Had my 88 Flywheel Plugged and new bolt circle put on as well as a ring put in the ID to match the N* Crank

Now my Power steering delete/tensior mount which I am not sure will work for me as I want A/C and I haven't seen anyone run this setup with an A/C compresser but I had some spare time at work so I whipped it up. Worst case I'll use this to get it running and worry about A/C later.

Also did some more painting....I am going with a low gloss black like my trans and Graphite colour sceem (leaving the heads alone) and also plan to paint the car itself with the same colours.

Also one more modification to the Getrag I just found out about and have not seen anyone mention is cutting off this snout.

PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
You can cut 1/2 way through the boss and then pop it off with a chisel.

My car has A/C. Can't live without it. A lot of muscle car guys see it and are as amazed that it has A/C as they are that the engine's in there...
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You can cut 1/2 way through the boss and then pop it off with a chisel.

My car has A/C. Can't live without it. A lot of muscle car guys see it and are as amazed that it has A/C as they are that the engine's in there...

Do you have your tensioner in the same spot Will ?
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000
I started cleaning up the engine bay last night. Getting ready to cut open the strut tower and remove the battery tray. Very rare to find a fiero in this rust free state here in Ontario....Glad I drove the 12 hours each way to pick it up.

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Had a very productive day today at work Started off this morning with getting the dogbone and brackets made similar to Zac's. Still need to make some poly bushings for the bone. Middle section is a nice polished SS tube.

And mounted...I am tring to keep my costs down so I am using what I already have available.

Next was the funny little bracket to catch that last hole in the getrag that does not line up.

Finally all the brackets and mounts are done...Pulled everything off the cradle to finish off welding....Decided I wanted a little more room between the oil pan and the passenger side frame so I trimmed it down some,

This was just after grinding down the stock engine mount

Then went on to this

Cradle is now fully welded and ready for N*....I am going to bolt it in the car this weekend enpty just to make sure it hasen't twisted or shifted on me as I have put alot of heat to it.

Finished cradle

Also received a few Items in the mail today....1 was my new head bolts so I can finish the motor on sunday and the other was a large box from Zac in BC

IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
What PCM are you going to use?
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Also received a few Items in the mail today....1 was my new head bolts so I can finish the motor on sunday and the other was a large box from Zac in BC

Let me guess...Headers??

Good work, keep it up!
JG
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Had a very productive day today at work Started off this morning with getting the dogbone and brackets made similar to Zac's. Still need to make some poly bushings for the bone. Middle section is a nice polished SS tube.

Finally all the brackets and mounts are done...Pulled everything off the cradle to finish off welding....Decided I wanted a little more room between the oil pan and the passenger side frame so I trimmed it down some,

Then went on to this

Hmmm, this looks really familiar, oh yeah I did the same thing early last year.

The problem.

When I got the drive train in the car it was really tight on the right hinge, even after extensive trimming. this led to further modifications.

Here Iv'e trimed the lip away to clear the oil pan. This was part of a group of modifications that moved the engine and trans down and back a 1/2 inch.

to see more of my swap go here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/080366.html

Your swap is looking good

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

What PCM are you going to use?

Reprogramed Stock PCM
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000

Originally posted by THE BEAST:

Let me guess...Headers??

Good work, keep it up!
JG

You sir are correct
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Hmmm, this looks really familiar, oh yeah I did the same thing early last year.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

Probably looks familiar because I got the Idea from you Thanks Joe....Your thread has helped me out alot as well as all the other N* swap threads.
PFF
System Bot
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Lets see what else have I done....

Had my 88 Flywheel Plugged and new bolt circle put on as well as a ring put in the ID to match the N* Crank

Your setup looks great, but for future info:.. I picked up this setup on E-bay a wile back. it uses an S-10 flywheel. the adaptor he made (stainless steel) incorporates the hub adaptor as well as giving the correct spacing. a pretty slick unit actually. note that the machined flange on the S-10 flywheel is larger than the Fiero flywheel also, which gives full contact on the crank/adaptor.

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-13-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

.. I picked up this setup on E-bay a wile back.

Ahhhh....so it was you I was watching that as well but at that time I was really wanting the spec alum. flywheel.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Ahhhh....so it was you I was watching that as well but at that time I was really wanting the spec alum. flywheel.

yup. it was I

Russ544 aka imsa-pbody
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
bump
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work. It is always interesting to see how others accomplish the task you did. I like your use of tubing.
For engine mounts, do you think that using 4 harder mounts eliminates the requirement for torque strut(s)?
I made 4 mounts for my setup, and used 2" diameter x 3.5" long rubber leaf sping bushings.
Here is my cradle with all 4 new mounts.....

and a detail of a typical mount using the leaf spring bushing....

The rubber bshings I am using have a steel sleeve on the ID and the OD, and the rubber is vulcanized inbetween, and the whole works is pressed and clamped in my split mount sleeve.
In your opinion, do you think that I will need torque strut(s)?

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daviero:

Very nice work. It is always interesting to see how others accomplish the task you did. I like your use of tubing.
For engine mounts, do you think that using 4 harder mounts eliminates the requirement for torque strut(s)?
In your opinion, do you think that I will need torque strut(s)?

Thank you....The torque strut is hard to say...I know some of the swappers are using solid mounts and no strut so I guess it all depends on how stiff your mounts are. Its really not that hard to mount one so I went and put one in anyway. One thing I dont get about your mounts is in the first pic... Is this how this mount sits ? Doesn't look like enough room for the axle to move with the suspension.

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

bump

Not a whole lot of progress lately...I was in L.A.last week and had some fun in the mountains of malibu in a cooper S...This little car really surprised me....perfect car for running the twisties...I am also waiting on a time sert kit then I will get back at it......I have done some more painting and such...I'll take a few pics at work tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 01-27-2008).]

Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post

Thank you....The torque strut is hard to say...I know some of the swappers are using solid mounts and no strut so I guess it all depends on how stiff your mounts are. Its really not that hard to mount one so I went and put one in anyway. One thing I dont get about your mounts is in the first pic... Is this how this mount sits ? Doesn't look like enough room for the axle to move with the suspension.

Actually, I have since modified that mount, and the other rear mount too. I did not have a current picture of the cradle, so I posted that one for the idea of the 4 firm mounts hoping no-one would catch my blunders. You got one. There is another. Notice that the way I have both rear mounts sitting on TOP of the rear crossmember. I found it hard to mount the rear sway bar! Boy was I ever sour when I found I had mede that error. I think my revised mount has more clearance. I'll soon see when everything goes together. I drove a solid mounted N* and it was smooth and did not move. I hope mine is "almost solid". I think I'll skip the torque strut for now and hope for the best.
Dave

[This message has been edited by Daviero (edited 01-27-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
A little update......I received my time-sert kit today and it looks like a real good kit....A few pics till I get some project time.

Cradle is painted and ready

Zac's headers are painted and ready

And the time-sert kit

Not looking forward to this part of the swap
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave