Started on: 05-02-2009 08:45 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: LZeitgeist on 05-06-2009 08:44 PM
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone relaced a GT steering wheel? Where would I get new lacing material? The leather on the steering wheel of my '85GT is in nice shape but the underlying padding is getting mushy. It looks like it could be easy to cut the old laces and pull the leather off but I would need new laces to fix the leather back to the wheel frame.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Wheel Skins all over the internet and E-Bay. I have used their product in the past with good results
Rocky Top

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
I have a GT steering wheel completely stripped down to the metal ring.

I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) Wheelskins makes any mention as to what could be used to replace the underlying padding.

Anybody have suggestions ?
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rocky Top:

...what could be used to replace the underlying padding.

Anybody have suggestions ?

How thick do you judge the padding to be?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroDirect Link to This Post
I had my steering wheel recovered by: http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm They did a great job. Even sent me pictures of the wheel, before returning it to me, to make sure I approved. I highly recommend them. I'm usually not happy with car related work done by other people, but these guys are an exception.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I had my steering wheel recovered by: http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm They did a great job. Even sent me pictures of the wheel, before returning it to me, to make sure I approved. I highly recommend them. I'm usually not happy with car related work done by other people, but these guys are an exception.

+1 for Dallas Steering wheel. They have done several of mine in the past and always top notch quality and reasonable price.
Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
Padding thickness ?

I'll have to dig out the stripped steering wheel and get the calipers.

Work on it tomorrow.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see a pic of a steering wheel withthe skin removed.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eclipse:
I'd like to see a pic of a steering wheel withthe skin removed.

give me a sec... that's how both of my cars are, but i may have done my write up with the SE wheel.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002
NOTE:::
i have seen some steering wheels were the base plastic was brown instead of black.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-2-043557.html

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 05-05-2009).]

sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

+1 for Dallas Steering wheel. They have done several of mine in the past and always top notch quality and reasonable price.

+2 for Dallas Steering Wheel.
PFF
System Bot
Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
Earlier in this thread I said I had mine stipped down to the metal.

Wrong !

It has hard black plastic under the leather and goo. Dug it out of a pile in my barn tonight and measured the diameter of the plastic base. It's not perfectly round. 1.000 inch at the largest point and 0.800 inch at the smallest.

Someone asked about the padding thickness. I don't have a good GT steering wheel to measure for comparison.

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, my steering wheel is lekking brown goo around the bottom seam, so I am very interested in this thread. Needless to say, it's kind of gross.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks for all the replies.

I so happen to have a verrry nice and solid GT Steering wheel that I purchased off Ebay recently. I would use it except it's Dark Grey and it's my '85GT (medium grey) that needs some help. The major axis of the oval shape is 1.19" across and the minor axis of the oval shape is 1.06" across. Doing the math it would appear that including the leather the thickness is 3/32". Anyone know how thick the leather is? Maybe 1/32" or so?

edited due to poor math skills
------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 05-05-2009).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
Leather is typically sold in OZ weight 2-3oz tends to be between 1.1 - 1.5 MM in size. When i do the shift knobs i look for this weight and will probably do this weight for the steering wheels when i get to that too. When you buy the leather ensure that it is UV resistant.

--matt
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Rick, I went with the Fiero Store replacement on my GT. Some folks don't like it but the price is reasonable and I am pleased with it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/097913.html

Larry
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I've looked over the WheelSkins website before but what I was really looking for was simply new thread to stitch my existing covering back onto the steering wheel with. My leather is still nice just mushy. Where could I purchase the thread that would be appropriate for relacing/restitching.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 05-06-2009).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

I've looked over the WheelSkins website before but what I was really looking for was simply new thread to stitch my existing covering back onto the steering wheel with. My leather is still nice just mushy. Where could I purchase the thread that would be appropriate for relacing/restitching.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)
click here for my MySpace page

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock