Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3.4l OHV swaps t45 TURBO Flops. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
3.4l OHV swaps t45 TURBO Flops. by 3.6lvvt6spdgt
Started on: 10-23-2007 04:59 PM
Replies: 197
Last post by: thedrue on 09-22-2009 05:00 AM
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
WARRNING: This is my first BUILD THEAD if you have any questions feel free to ask im good at cars bad at fourm, so i might forget to add need to know info thank you.

here is everything you will want to know about the 3.4l OHV swap yes almost every thing will swap over just fine from your 2.8l OHV that comes stock.i have lots of pictures and a atempt to install a T45 twin ballbering turbo in the car LOL looks sweet but has a SMALL problem so feel free to coment.
THE SWAP WAS DONE BY ME AND ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS RANDY............................. THANKS RANDY

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 01-02-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
?? You uploading some pictures?

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 10-23-2007).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
i am uploading pics its gonna take a while
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
T45 at what trim? what was the turbine specs? from my first looks you have the wrong turbo for that engine unless you have a really tight trim or a hybrid with a smaller turbine on it.

Every map I have with standard trim on a T45 shows you run way outside the efficiency islands at pressures the 3.4 can handle safely, and even go outside the surge line on a couple maps during spool-up. I need some details on the turbo to make sure I'm looking at the right maps for what you are using.

That's a turbo used for big V8 engines like the Toyota tundra.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
here are the pictures this is a remaned long block crate swap so its a little differant then the junkyard swap if you got any questions let me know this took about 3 weeks but could be done faster with less mods and no waiting for parts.
i think my total cost so far is 7000.00 lots of mods could be done for under 3000.00

the sock engine getting tore down

the 2.8l almost striped

the rebuilt long block from atk in california, i cleaned the the engine acitone and painted it aluminum

the fiero intake also cleaned and painted, looking good

the rebuilt engine didnot come with an oil pickup and the stock fiero ia smaller then the 3.4l

here you can see the differance better

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-30-2007).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

3.6lvvt6spdgt

678 posts
Member since Jun 2007

on the left the fiero oil pump bottom on the rite the 3.4l i had to get a 3.4l pickup luckly a friend had one

a little farther along no problems yet every thing swaps rite over

ok one problem i bought 2.8l injectors when i needed 3.4l the differance of 2# per hour the 2.8 uses 15lb and the 3.4 uses 17lb

here is the first problem the gasket set that was sent with the engine was for a 94 camaro so i had to get a fiero oil pan gasket

here is that oil pickup i had to get and if you look at the bottom rite you can see the bolt holes that have to be drilled for the starter rodney's sells a jig for this thay works.

ah yes the valve cover looks good all painted and rebrushed but try to keep the stock rubber gasket they are hard to find

because i knew that i was moing the exaust i got a larger oil filter for better oil flow the adabter plate under it is for a chevy cavalier and it is for a turbo aplacation the filter does not require this.

this is the crank sensor hole on the rite side of the engine

this is the cam sensor hole located by the thermostat

im not running a dis setup so i pluged these holes with a 3/4in freez plug

a 88 282 5spd a upgrade by the prevous owner i cleaned with a rotory steel brush on a multi speed drill and the washed with acitone then painted universal red like the valve covers.

the engine cradle torn down

front polly tranny mount

polly engine mount

rear polly tranny mount

the engine dampaner this one still had life in it.

the wcf polly dogbone

front aluminum cradle mounts

here you can see the red polly A arm bushings

here are the rear aluminum cradle bushings i would recomend these to any one they can be a pain to get lined up but there worth it

the rear sway bar 1in the install was easy and well worth it

a wcf stage 3, 9-11/16in, kevlar/kevlar clutch and flywheel. the fly wheel from the fiero will not work unless you have a 88

just a close up of the cluch remember to keep this and your flywheel super clean, i cleaned the flywhell and pressure plate with rubbing alcohol and never tuch the cluch pads with your hands.

i got the blaster coil to find out that you have to drill out the rivets on the old coil to get the mounting plates.

while i was waiting on my headers to come i installed the ultamate shift kit from rodney's, also you might want to get a top end gasket kif as well for the fiero 2.8 cause agin the 3.4l comes with the camaro gaskets

the spark plug wires are accel make your own 8mm they work great.

it was hard to find the covers that go over the wireing harness untill you go into a electrical suply store they sell it by the foot but only in black

clutch slave cly installed

dogbone installed

a closser look at the coil

and my big mastake trying to get the turbo setup out of the car do not do looks good though

installing engine back into the car man thoughs headers look good, and you can see the return line for the turbo you have to know where to put this or you will burn your turbo up

my custom coilover setup on a kyb strut

more install

never clean the crap off you distributor or you will have to buy a new one like i did, i think the new one is way better anyway

when i foud out the turbo wouldent fit under the hood

the mileage at the time of swap

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-31-2007).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

3.6lvvt6spdgt

678 posts
Member since Jun 2007
ok picture coments the oil pick up was differant so i had the old one resurfaced and installed it. a 88 nutural flywheel is needed. i used 3/4 bolt in freez plugs to plug up the sensor locations on the 95 block. i used the starter kit from rodnydickmans to drill the starter relocation hole and a new starter with shims, shims are a needed item. make sure u get injectors for the 3.4l engine they are 17lbs the fiero uses 15lbs i used the 3.8 injectors to help with the added boost 19lbs i belive. the engine dampaner is not a direct swap only 2 of the 3 bolts that hold it to the engine are there. i had to drill out a bolt hole to match the tranny. i had to buy the fiero oil pan gasket intake manifold gaskit set and the themostat gasket the remaned engine came with the wrong ones oh save your valve cover gaskets i dont know how hard they are to find but they dont give u new ones and the fiero valve covers a fiero only part. everything else was a direct swap.

things i sujest replacing while you have the engine out
distrubutor
water pump
coil
broken or cracked vacume lines
starter
altanator
wireing harnes cover and any spliced or burned wires
thermostat
header bolts
engine and tranny mounts
dogbone
clutch

the turbo was not installed it did not fit in the car was way to big i would fit if i stuffed it in the trunk but i did not want to do that. i am getting a smaller turbo most likely a t4 or t3/t4.
i went with a larger oil filter you can see the part # i removed the airconditioning i dont want it on the car

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 10-23-2007).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I also recomend you replace the rear main seal too.
That turbo would be way too big for that app. Even if it did fit in the car it would spool really slow, at least that would be my guess.

You can also find full 3.4L swap info at
3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics)
even has turbo pics too.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking build, man. Let us know how the turbo set up goes.

------------------
1984 Fiero SE, White, first love, sold...
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox
1987 Fiero GT, Blue, 3.4/4T40
Still looking for that perfect CJB 88 GT...

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
new ecm for turbo

for thoughs that ask why upgrade you ecm check out this link
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079574.html

merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
ive got most of what youd need for the dis converstion. pm me, whole kit is 200, but looks like youve got the ecm. ive got the dummy shaft, coilpacks and connectors. instructions are on gmtuners.com
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Very nice build, your doing everything I want to do, but to a 3.4.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
realy just want a 400hp 3.4l v6 fiero does any one have one? any one even close? if so let me know how.
here is a list of my current mods.

OIL FILTER SANDWICH ADAPTER
KYB GR-2 GR2 SHOCKS STRUTS PONTIAC FIERO 84 - 87
255LPH FUEL PUMP
EBAY BLOW OFF VALVE
84-87 HEAVY DUTY REAR SWAY BAR W/ MOUNTING HARDWARE
84-87 HEAVY DUTY 1" FRONT SWAYBAR W/ MOUNTING HARDWARE
84-88 CLUTCH PEDAL ASSEMBLY
WCF Fiero Dog-Bone
Long Tube headers with "Y" pipe (Steel)
85-88 MSD IGNITION COIL
WCF 3.4L Flywheel
WCF V6 Engine mount
WCF Trans mount left
WCF Trans mount right
Stage 3 Clutch and Pressure plate
Aluminum cradle bushings
A Arm Poly bushings upper and lower front
A Arm Poly bushings upper and lower rear
remanufactured 1995 3.4l camaro/firebird engine 0mi with predrilled starter holes
new distributor
new water pump
new optima battery
lager cold air filter
19lbs injectors
outlaw muffler
c5 corvette tips
short shift arms, stifter, bracket from rodney d's\
coilovers in the rear 2in drop in the front
recoverd all the wires in the evgine comartment

curently working
NEW - GT45 T4 Turbo - GT45 Y2004K - 4.1" Outlet, thinking about going with a smaller turbo like a t4
XS Power 60mm External Turbo Wastegate
7730 ecm
hub berrings
e-brake line lock

Upgrades ive been concidering
rims & tires
port and polished heads
cam and roller rockers
custom plenium intake.

curent build cost 9500.00
puchase price of car w bad engine 3000$

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-16-2007).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

chip emulator for better tunning
for thoughs that dont know

You can now purchase a device called an EMULATOR that, in conjunction with special software, will allow you to run your OBDI removable-chip-based ECM off of a laptop computer instead of a PROM. This means you can make real-time changes to the program during track or dyno testing or even normal driving. Once you find the optimal settings, you can burn them to a chip. This is an invaluble, time-saving tool for tuning in my opinion.

emulator: This is a device that takes the place of the PROM in the computer and has a cable that hooks to a PC or Laptop computer. Special software on the PC/Laptop loads whatever current PROM settings you have into the emulator so you can run the car. While the car is running, you can make changes to the various tables in your software/tuning program that interfaces with the emulator and, depending on the software (there are a couple of different versions) the changes you make take effect immediately WITHOUT having to reset the ECM. Most of these emulators have a battery backup so they "hold" the current programming even without a laptop hooked up to it, so you could drive around on the emulator without having to burn a chip if you wanted to.[/QUOTE

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

3.6lvvt6spdgt

678 posts
Member since Jun 2007
new turbo best i could afford for 3.4l
maddoggie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maddoggieSend a Private Message to maddoggieDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning a similar build myself. I'm looking for about 250hp though. What are the specs on the turbo?
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
T3/T4 V Band Turbocharger
Wheel Trim 60mm
Turbine Housing A/R 0.60
Compressor Housing A/R 0.48
2" Inlet, 2.5" V-Band Outlet
1/8 NPT Oil Inlet
Internal Wastegate 8psi
Wet Float Bearings
Hold Up To 350 HP

whith this setup i should have 250hp with a small amount of turbo lag
things needed
six 30# injectors
255LPH fuel pump
Knock sensor
custom ecm chip
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
What is the combination of boost and compression you'll be running? Is it 8 pounds and the stock 9.0:1 compression of the pushrod 3.4L engine, or something else?
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
#19 injectors will only get you 240HP gross... Don't burn a piston!
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
im using a stock 9.0:1 compression in a rebuilt 3.4 out of a 94 firebird i upgraded the injectors to 315cc 30lb/hr and the fuel rail is 50psi.

stock 3.4l hp 160hp X .07% = 11.2hp per lb of boost X 8lbs = 89.6hp + 160hp = 249.6 then add 1% for every degree of air temp you lose through your intercooler. i dont have a intercooler yet. the better you na engine the better to turbo work so if you got mods on your engine then that carries into the math

here is a good calculator to find out what injectors you need for your app
http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-27-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
if you dont have an intercooler id run waterinjection. youll get much more power and save your motor and turbo some stresses. you should be able to tack on another 20-30 hp. is that motor built or are you gonna run stock?

not to rag on your setup but the rsm supercharger kit claims 220 hp out of a 2.8 im amazed there arent many turbo guys crushing that, especially with the larger engine letting you spool up even bigger turbos. im probably going to go this route since ive already paid for headers and intake but id rather go for a good turbo setup.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
3.4L WITH 24lb injectors and 5# of boost = 290hp stock internals
im looking at 300+hp on stock internals
http://www.force-fed-fabrications.com/index2.htm
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.6lvvt6spdgt:

3.4L WITH 24lb injectors and 5# of boost = 290hp stock internals
im looking at 300+hp on stock internals

Not quite.
every 14psi of boost is equal to your NA power. So if your 3.4 is 160hp. Add 14psi and your at 320hp. It sounds too simple but that's how it works out. 7psi = 50%NA power. So that's why you have 2.8's with 7psi actually producing 210hp. These are gross figures ofcourse and assume all other conditions are good and efficient, such as proper fueling.

You will not make 290hp with 5# of boost unless your 3.4 is the TDC. I'm assuming it's the pushrod motor. Forgive me if I am wrong.
maddoggie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maddoggieSend a Private Message to maddoggieDirect Link to This Post
So, if my math is correct 8 lbs. boost should give about 251+hp. Am I figuring this correct? I want good added power yet don't want to compromise my reliability.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
At 14 PSI you are effectively doubling the air allowed into the engine. This does not mean you are doubling the power though.

There are still heavy losses due to intake restriction, head flow, and especially exhaust flow.

Datalogger estamations put my 3.4DOHC with 7PSI at ~290-300 HP, or %70 increase, but thats with an intake and head system that is vastly superior to the OHV 60* V6. I doubt you will see as favorable gains with a more restrictive top end, especially the Fiero intake, even considering its boosted. Additionally the gains are not linear, so 7 to 14 PSI is not going to give you the same increase as 0 to 7.

That being said, good luck keeping the bottom end in one piece.... Or the tranny.... or the axels.... Ive gone through all three, and multiples of some.

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Red

Nice build.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 12-28-2007).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
i under staind about boost and the 7% rule BUT there are a cuple of sites that say at 8psi it will be putting out 300+ hp
here are the sites please look and correct me if im wrong

this one is used for calculating turbo size and gives you an estamated hp rating
http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html

this is a 94 iron headed 3.4l push rod firebird running 5psi stock intenals and 300+hp

if you have any documentation on turboing a 3.4l please bring it to my attention i want to do this rite the first time.
thank you

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-28-2007).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

3.6lvvt6spdgt

678 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by maddoggie:

So, if my math is correct 8 lbs. boost should give about 251+hp. Am I figuring this correct? I want good added power yet don't want to compromise my reliability.

im trying to figure why the 3.4l seems to respond better to turbo than reagular engines i think its becaust the heads have bad flow when NA but when you add boost the engine gets the air it should have.
the ony thing i can think of is for you to keep checking in and see how it goes.

here is the calculation that i thought was correct
stock hp X 7% 0.07 = hp % X lbs of boost = hp gian + stock hp = total hp with turbo
so 160hp X 0.07% = 11.2hp X 8lb = 89.6hp gain + 160 stock hp = 249.6total hp with turbo at 8lbs
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

im trying to figure why the 3.4l seems to respond better to turbo than reagular engines i think its becaust the heads have bad flow when NA but when you add boost the engine gets the air it should have.
the ony thing i can think of is for you to keep checking in and see how it goes.

You find this with many motors, but its really only directly aparent around the 2-3 psi range, anything more than that does not help that much... It can turn motors that previously were quite useless due to head design (aka the 3800), into a 500WHP drag car.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
ok i contacted Tiago and he says his 3.4l at 8psi made 270hp but he goes on to say
Tiago said "With correct fuel and timing they will take alot of boost. I ran as much as 15 psi on mine"
so i will be running at around 250hp on a 3.4l turbo until..............................lol
PFF
System Bot
maddoggie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maddoggieSend a Private Message to maddoggieDirect Link to This Post
Could the response of these engines to turbos be related to the fact that the boost increases the volumetric efficiency (over 100% due to FORCED induction) of our little power plants.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maddoggie:

I'm planning a similar build myself. I'm looking for about 250hp though. What are the specs on the turbo?

hey maddoggie if you turbo your 3.4l remember to get 30# injectors, 255lph fuel pump, a 7730 ecm and custom chip tunning.

maddoggie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maddoggieSend a Private Message to maddoggieDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, I'm compiling a list of things I need to consider and or acquire. I'm still unsure as to what size and specs to look for in a turbo. In my particular situation a T3/T4 would probably be my best choice. As far as the other specs I am unsure. I feel 8 lbs boost will accomplish what I want to achieve. The iron head 3.4 is from a 94 firebird. The cam will be stock or maybe slightly larger (very conservative) to push a few more RPM. Head studs for gasket reliability.
maddoggie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maddoggieSend a Private Message to maddoggieDirect Link to This Post

maddoggie

19 posts
Member since Dec 2007
CompuCam Duration @ .050" Adv. Duration Lift LC
Intake Exhaust Intake Exhaust Intake Exhaust Int. Ex.
Crane CompuCam 2020 198 204 258 264 .401 .423 104 104
Low and mid-range torque and horsepower. Great Choice for cars and 4X4 trucks, highway or off-road. Works really great for trailer towing. Basic RPM 1000-4000.

If I am correct this is just slightly larger than stock but, with tighter lobe centers.

[This message has been edited by maddoggie (edited 12-28-2007).]

maddoggie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maddoggieSend a Private Message to maddoggieDirect Link to This Post

maddoggie

19 posts
Member since Dec 2007
that didn't come out right. it's the Crane CompuCam 2020
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
for the turbo i wouldent go lower then t3/t4 A/R 0.60 on the Exaust Turbine Housing and a wheel trim of 58mm is as low as i would go thats what i got.
and as big as T04 70mm if you cant find a 60mm also keepin mind that its got to fit in the car.
my t45 was way to big lol
also the ball bering type work better then journal berings so like a GT28 with a 60mm trim/exaust
if you went smaller you will lose power at the top end

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-28-2007).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

if you have any documentation on turboing a 3.4l please bring it to my attention i want to do this rite the first time.
thank you

Robert Wagoner's book, High Performance Fieros, may be of interest to you.

On pages 11 through 19, he outlines his pushrod 3.4L engine swap.

On pages 21 through 40, he outlines what he did in turbocharging that 3.4L, and perhaps more importantly, what didn't blow up that engine, versus what did.

SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
that 3.4L put out 290 WRHP on 5lbs from a T61... Sure it has a stock short block but i bet there is a ton of money in EVERY other piece of that motor. I am building my DOHC, a pretty "decent" build up I would say with some good stuff and i am hoping to make about 400RWHP on something like 10-12 pounds. However that is bored, fully balanced, lightweight lifters, ported and polished heads, ported and polished lower intake, custom upper intake, 75mm throttle body etc... along with a good tune.
I dont see how or WHY someone would put that much money into a boat anchor like the 2.8/3.4 PR motor. For the money spent he/she could do an LS1 swap and make that power right out of the gate. Or just od a 3800SC swap, ditch the blower, add a turbo and go ape **** with the boost and get more power for about half the price.

To each their own i guess...
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

that 3.4L put out 290 WRHP on 5lbs from a T61... Sure it has a stock short block but i bet there is a ton of money in EVERY other piece of that motor. I am building my DOHC, a pretty "decent" build up I would say with some good stuff and i am hoping to make about 400RWHP on something like 10-12 pounds. However that is bored, fully balanced, lightweight lifters, ported and polished heads, ported and polished lower intake, custom upper intake, 75mm throttle body etc... along with a good tune.
I dont see how or WHY someone would put that much money into a boat anchor like the 2.8/3.4 PR motor. For the money spent he/she could do an LS1 swap and make that power right out of the gate. Or just od a 3800SC swap, ditch the blower, add a turbo and go ape **** with the boost and get more power for about half the price.

To each their own i guess...

i like the look of the fiero motor and i like the sound of a v6 v8s dont sound rite to me the 3800 is ugly in my eys and the 3.4dohc is exspecive and i dont meen a used motor why would you want to put a motor in your car that has 80,000 miles in it already my long block cost me 1200$ fully rebuilt.

most of the money ive put into this build is on replacing the crappy parts on the car not the engine the engine build has cost me 3000$ est thats with the turbo, ecm, injectors, programing equip, and headers. can you say its the same for any othe build? and i know my engine has at least 60.000 more miles in it can you say the same. so i look at it the most bang for the buck. i wish i could have done the 250hp 3.6l vvt swap but i did not have the 6500$ just to get the engine to work in the fiero.

oh and if you look more at that site his final hp was 336whp and 398wtq

here are some pics of the headers

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 12-29-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay