98+ camaro 12" brake swap by 1fastcaddy
Started on: 12-16-2006 10:38 AM
Replies: 105
Last post by: crazyd on 10-01-2009 01:38 AM
1fastcaddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of swapping on 12" brakes from the ls1 camaro as I got front rotors and brakes cheap off ebay and will be lookin for rears to keep my e brake. Does anybody know how different these are from the c5 corvette if any? How much different is it from the c4 12" besides the dual piston calipers? If anybody will be interested in adapters, I will be makin these myself and could make extras after I figure it out. Let me know, Drew

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
Low Original Miles at 41,506!!!
01 Cavalier Z24 16" wheels
KYB shocks
KYB struts with coilovers-coming soon

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I'm really interested in better brakes right now (and something better than Beretta/GA's) and want to keep my parking/e-brake as well. I'd be interested in brackets for something 10.25 or bigger... the question is whether it will fit my budget. What do you think the total cost of all parts is assuming I do it the cheapest way? (brackets, rotors, calipers) I don't mind rebuilding the calipers and such if it saves money. Thanks -Jason
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I spent $100 shipped for front rotors, calipers, and brackets; so it depends on how good of a shopper you are. I will be makin it for the 98+ v8 f body but I still need to research the e brake before I get the rears. I dont know if the fbody internal hub ebrake will work but I think that the mini caliper that bubbajoe used for his might be a good alternative. I will find out more later. Drew

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
KYB shocks

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
you've got my interest. how soon do you think you'll be ready to sell 'em?
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
depends how much time I have for spare time at work, I hope it wont take too long. Drew
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004

thats compared to a spark plug, I havent measured them but im pretty sure theyre 12". I will have to do some measuring to figure out what it will take for the adapter. I will let you guys know. Thanks, Drew

edited to add: yep, theyre exactly 12"
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I might be of some help here!
F-body brakes and C5 brakes. The F-body brakes are the same size! However, if you step up to the C5 Z06 brakes, the rotors are a full 1" larger! You need 17" rims to clear them. 16" rims to clear the F-body brakes. Now, the Corvette calipers are a little better made! Will you feel a difference? Probably not! I would stick with the F-body calipers. You already have them. The Corvette calipers cost don't make them worth it IMO! They are actually the same size, dual piston aluminum calipers.

Now, I would look into using some LT1 rear calipers! Why? Because the E-brake works pretty much the same way our Fiero's E-brakes work! You don't have to use/make up a "drum style" brake for an E-brake! The LT1 F-body's calipers look, and position themselves differently then the 98+ F-body brakes though! So I don't know how this would all fab up!

I would like to know what you are doing to mount them and use them! I'd be interested in this!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT 2.8 V6 4-sp (all stock)
2002 Firebird Formula 6sp (not stock)
1999 30th Ann. Trans AM (all stock)
3 other cars not worth listing.

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
well, I really havent looked into what it takes to mount them yet. I have been lookin into changin the bolt pattern but everything else would be the same and the adapters would be the same, that way I dont have 10 holes. I may drill them out just to show that my bolts do work. I will be keepin my 16s so thats why I picked these. that and their cheaper. I dont want that kinda flash of havin vette on them. I plan on makin a small profit as in 15-30 dollars maybe more dependin on how long it takes, over material cost. If I offered complete kits, I would either offer jy parts or new. I would also offer fiero bolt pattern or upgraded hubs for the camaro bolt pattern. If that sounds nice, let me know what you would be interested in. Thanks, Drew
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The C5 brakes (used on ALL C5's, not just ZO6's) are 12.75" in diameter. Except for the "Corvette" lettering, the calipers are dimensionally identical. The F-body calipers are gravity cast and the Corvette calipers were pressure cast, making them slightly stronger.

This setup uses all different part than the C4 12" brakes.

At least the adapters to Fiero knuckles are pretty simple.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-16-2006).]

02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

well, I really havent looked into what it takes to mount them yet. I have been lookin into changin the bolt pattern but everything else would be the same and the adapters would be the same, that way I dont have 10 holes. I may drill them out just to show that my bolts do work. I will be keepin my 16s so thats why I picked these. that and their cheaper. I dont want that kinda flash of havin vette on them. I plan on makin a small profit as in 15-30 dollars maybe more dependin on how long it takes, over material cost. If I offered complete kits, I would either offer jy parts or new. I would also offer fiero bolt pattern or upgraded hubs for the camaro bolt pattern. If that sounds nice, let me know what you would be interested in. Thanks, Drew

I'd be interested! I like the braking performance of my OEM F-body brakes! They'd be kick-ass on a 2700lb car! I'm doing the C5 upgrade with Hawk HPS pads on my F-body, which will free up some parts for my Fiero! So if you come up with some brackets or something, let me know!

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
will, you said the adapters are pretty simple, could you explain? Ive never looked at the stock brakes very closely to tell.
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I meant for the front knuckles.
I haven't put much thought into the rears since I already have the 10.5 x 1 vented disks from Pontiac 6000 w/ HD brakes back there.
There really isn't much to say about the adapters... a strip of metal 9/16" thick with holes for the knuckle and holes for the caliper. No fancy cutting required.

edit: correct plate thickness

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-20-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
thats it to adapt the 12" brakes? how would the rears be any different? cause the ebrake right? how about the spot calipers that bubba used and use 4 fronts reversed L to R? or try and do what 02som said and use the lt1 rears that are similar to stock setup? I kinda want to have a better idea of what its gonna take before I go searchin the yard. Everyone that wants these, would you want calipers that look the same front and back or not? I think I would rather have ones that look the same. I will figure somethin out before too long though. Drew
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
I just bought the hubs to convert to 4.75 so its begun.

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
KYB shocks

02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post

PICTURES!!!!!!! LOL! Keep us updated!
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The C5 brakes (used on ALL C5's, not just ZO6's) are 12.75" in diameter. Except for the "Corvette" lettering, the calipers are dimensionally identical. The F-body calipers are gravity cast and the Corvette calipers were pressure cast, making them slightly stronger.

Originally posted by 02SOMFormula:

... The Corvette calipers cost don't make them worth it IMO! They are actually the same size, dual piston aluminum calipers. ...

02SOMFormula, did you mean they're both the same size and dual piston aluminum calipers? Are there inexpensive F-body calipers that are aluminum? I like the bragging points for keeping light alloy brakes, even if there isn't much actual weight difference

Let us know how it goes! If/when you get it all to work, maybe do a quick writeup and parts list?
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

02SOMFormula, did you mean they're both the same size and dual piston aluminum calipers? Are there inexpensive F-body calipers that are aluminum? I like the bragging points for keeping light alloy brakes, even if there isn't much actual weight difference

Let us know how it goes! If/when you get it all to work, maybe do a quick writeup and parts list?

The F-body calipers for any 98+ car, are aluminum! they are 2 piston calipers. They are CHEAP compared to the Corvette calipers. The Corvette calipers are the same demension, they are just made differently, so they are stronger. But the way I look at it, is why pay that much more for a caliper if you aren't getting a huge return in it! The LT1 F-body's came with cast iron, single piston calipers and suck!

I've heard that the Corvette calipers can give a little more feedback! Is that true? I don't know. I can't speak from experience, I just repeating what I've read on F-body forums, and they just might be thinking that because they just spent money on an upgrade, and "want" it to feel better! But if those F-body brakes stop my 3450lb Firebird that good....I could only imagine how they would stop a 2700lb Fiero!!!!!!

The aftermarket brake pad market is HUGE for those calipers! But from what I've read, a good choice is the Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) pads with a nice blank rotor is the ideal setup, but an inexpensive price! the pads are just under $100 shipped, and the F-body rotor of choice is the Durastop from Autozone for about $25 each!

Hope I answered some questions here for ya!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT 2.8 V6 4-sp (all stock)
2002 Firebird Formula 6sp (not stock)
1999 30th Ann. Trans AM (all stock)
3 other cars not worth listing.

FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Uh oh.. I didn't think this required switching hubs, does it? I'm already running nice 17" wheels and tires in the stock Fiero bolt pattern, so I'd like to keep them
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
Thats what I bought, see the pics of the gray caliper, its pretty light, I might say less than the rotor but dont have a scale to prove it. I will try and get them weighed to find out. I will get pics of the hubs before and after moddin them to fit the fiero. For those that might be interested, the hubs are 1965 to 69 corvair front hubs. as soon as I get the hubs finished, I will get pics. This is a partial list so far.

1998-2002 Camaro Front Rotors - 2 - unconfirmed fit - $50/pair new
1998-2002 Camaro Front Calipers- 2- unconfirmed fit - $75/pair used
these can be had much cheaper

for those swapping bolt pattern to camaro, I will give the parts list for that also when finished.

1965-69 Corvair Front Wheel Hub - 2- unconfirmed fit - $15/per used
19?? S10 hubs-2-unconfirmed

uncomplete, but its a start.
I was wondering how many people would be interested in changin bolt patterns, I can buy some more hubs to mod to bolt on?
these are the wheels I plan on buying if I can find them at the local salvage yard. or even gta wheels
http://www.capitalwheels.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=1285&cat=&page=1
Let me know, Drew

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
KYB shocks

[This message has been edited by 1fastcaddy (edited 12-17-2006).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The F-body rotors are the same as used on GTP's and Monte Carlos with 12" brakes. They have an intermediate bolt pattern with large holes and will fit both 5x4.75 and 5x115 bolt circles.

The difference in casting methods between Corvette and F-body calipers make the Vette calipers stronger and stiffer. Some people with sensitive feet and other brake mods may be able to tell the difference. You won't be able to tell the difference in a Fiero because the rest of the system (like the FIREWALL) has so much give to it that the difference will be lost in the mess.
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I've just heard from an LS1 guy that LS1/C5 vette brakes may work with C4 conversion brackets. Can anyone verify this or rule it out?

Part numbers, for what they're worth. Correct, as far as I can tell. I don't know what the rear calipers are. Are they Vette numbers, or the same as the front?

Caliper FL: 18042491
Caliper FR: 18042492
Caliper Pin: 12530697
Caliper Pin Boot: 12530703
Caliper Pin Bolt: 18026164
Caliper rebuild kit: 18026160 (1 per piston / 2 per caliper)

Rear brake backing plates (assembly w/ ebrake, if not included w/ calipers):
w/ TCS RPO NW9, LH: 10434794
w/ TCS RPO NW9, RH: 10434795
no TCS, LH: 10434796
no TCS, RH: 10434797

Rotor, LS1 front L/R: 18060640

Edit: Interchange for front rotors!

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 01-03-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I dont know about the c5 to c4 but I know the 98+ fbody dont swap to 93-97 but that dont mean a lot. No help there.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

Uh oh.. I didn't think this required switching hubs, does it? I'm already running nice 17" wheels and tires in the stock Fiero bolt pattern, so I'd like to keep them

You can drill out your rotors to accept the fiero bolt pattern to keep your rims. I just hate the small bolt pattern and want corvette rims.
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I have a question about the hubs and bearings. I've heard that the bearings on the pre-88's were on the weak side! By switching to the Corvair hubs, are you gaining a stronger setup?
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
yep, thats the idea
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Ive got an extra set that I can mod for you, turns out I was a little off. you need the corvairs for the front, s10s for the rear
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
turns out you need a pontiac 6000 front upright and s10 outer stub and s10 hub, but then you can use s10 rotors and calipers which are a little bigger than 11" I think. I might be buyin everything from bubba, but I stil plan on either finding a solution for the rears or makin the c4 brake adapters with the caddy rear calipers for ebrake. I will keep you updated. Laters, Drew
jack_ink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkDirect Link to This Post
I have some of those wheels you were wanting... but I wouldnt charge no 200.00 ea (if thats what they were trying to sell for) they re on my bro's firebird right now and I could see if he'd wanna sell em cheap but they arent chrome....

--- And I went with the Zo6 brakes with 6 mini piston calipers on 13" rotors with "upgraded" brake lines and I felt a little difference in the way that it was grabbier but thats about it, oh yeah and I can slide like a madman now...

that I dunno if it was worth 1300.00 but thats my .02
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I was just using those for an example, how much does your brother want for those?
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

There really isn't much to say about the adapters... a strip of metal 3/8" thick with holes for the knuckle and holes for the caliper. No fancy cutting required.

Woops. That should read 9/16" thick. I have three pieces of 3/16, not three pieces of 1/8.
PFF
System Bot
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
thanks, I still havent decided whether Im gonna change the bolt pattern or not. probably not, I might save 1 set of hubs for the race car project Ive been dreamin of buildin. I am tryin to find some front hubs now so I can machine them off and not put my car out of service cause its my DD. I will keep you guys in touch, Laters, Drew
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
,___,
(*,*)
[`--' ]
="="=

Post-holiday bump... Any idea yet what to do with the rear brakes? I'd love to have the rear LS1 aluminum calipers, even if I had to use a mini caliper or hydraulic line lock for the parking brake. Even if someone called me on it during an inspection, I think I could convince them it was stock as long as it was rigged to the e-brake handle.

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 12-27-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
Thats actually exactly what Im plannin on doin, but I cant find a spot caliper wide enough. The brakes are 1 1/4" wide. If you found one, let me know and I will get that worked into my kit. Drew
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The Wilwood caliper is two piece. You take it apart, whip up a spacer to ge the width right and reassemble with longer bolts. Why do you need 1.25" rotors on the rear? That's just unnecessary unsprung rotating mass

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-27-2006).]

FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I found another forum where someone is using a Wilwood caliper on what appears to be an older Camaro, so I doubt the rotors are nearly as thick. This guy provided a link to a list of Wilwood mini spot calipers.

Will: I believe the rotors are so thick because they are well-vented and still need to be able to stop a car that can easily be 1000 lbs more than a Fiero without breaking or warping. You can't just take a rotor of a certain thickness, divide that by 2, put some venting between and then expect it to hold up to the same amount of stress without adding additional thickness on each side. The thickness also has to allow for wear and resurfacing

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 12-27-2006).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
What on earth are you talking about?

I'm asking why he felt he needed rotors that thick on the rear.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-27-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
thats just the rotors I have, well, dont have yet but maybe the rears on a camaro are thinner in the back, dont have any to check. Does anybody else know? Drew
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm asking why he felt he needed rotors that thick on the rear.

I'm talking about the thickness of vented rotors because it sounded like that's what he was talking about. Unless I missed something, he's entertaining the idea of using LS1 brakes on all wheels. Are the rear Camaro calipers not vented, and therefore not that thick?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock