Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build by FierociousGT
Started on: 09-05-2007 09:11 PM
Replies: 351
Last post by: joshua riedl on 01-25-2009 04:15 PM
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build

Well here it goes.... Once upon a time.... in a far, far away place in Cyberspace (eBay) I purchased this awesome car I've always wanted but could never have it due to the wicket witch (my x)... It had lots of goodies:

- 1988 Fiero GT Fastback
- 3.8L series II Super Charged Engine
- Magnecor R-100 10mm Pure Silicone Racing Wires
- Custom Ceramic Coated Headers (West Coast Fiero)
- Borla Stainless Steel Exhaust (sounds mean but is not too loud at all)
- High Flow Cat Converter
- Height Adjustable Rear Koni Coil-Over adjustable struts with 325# Springs (Held Motorsports)
- Height Adjustable Custom Front Carrera Coil-Over shocks with 7” 300# Springs (RCC specialties)
- Professional Powder coating of all suspension components, roll bars, engine cradle, and front brakes
- Complete Urethane Bushings of all suspension Components and transmission mounts
- (New rubber engine mount used to help reduce vibration rather than all urethane)
- Centerforce Clutch

Actual eBay picture.

Well now reality... Fierocious is up at Archies shop. I will be heading there for CTHC-2 and specially to talk to Archie.

THE PLAN:
1- Choptop
2.- Install & finish Mad-Achies widebody.
3.- Some modification & install Fiero Warehouse IMSA front end widebody.
4.- Finish Driven Vision Extreme Extractor Hood Scoop install.
5.- Install Corvette C5 non-popup headlights.

Later when I save up some more I'll order the R.O.H. Wheels in 19" and redo the interior, brakes, etc. Let see how it goes... bit by bit. You should see some post in a few weeks...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
So are you basing it off that maroon car? Or did you get it?
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
Until you get the money for the new rims what are you going to use to fill out the wide body?

Chris
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Congratulations !

I know it has been a long time coming !

Can't wait to watch the progress.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I love it when a plan comes together. The happiest day was when I took my car to Archie's ...

Yours looks like it's going to be really nice.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Fierocious made it to Achie's shop. Thanks to the guys at AM/PM Car Carrier in Chic-a-go.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-06-2007).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Fierocious made it to Achie's shop. Thanks to the guys at AM/PM Car Carrier in Chic-a-go.

Correct, right now it's all warm & snuggly with all those other V-8, Chop Top & WideBody Fieros.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-06-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics of additional modifications besides the Choptop and the Mad-Archie widebody.

As I mention the front half of the car will have the Fiero Warehouse's IMSA widebody (fenders, bumper, bumper lip). The fenders side molding will be completely removed. The front bumper will need to be finished since I removed (cut) the intake lip to increase the opening size 2"+ and will be molded one piece with the bumper lip.

On the rear we will add the Camero style rear spoiler.

on the sides after the choptop the Fiero Stores's GT Turbo scoops will have to be trimed and/or cut in size.

On the top view the hood will have the Driven Vision's Extreme Extractor Hood Scoop.

I will be replacing the stock Fiero popup headlights with these Corvette C5 (Lemans Style) non-popups. They will need to be moved out towards the fender. I'm debating if I should move them a bit in to the front bumper.

After these headlights are in place I'm thinking of cutting out the P O N T I A C from the original popup left side headlight cover and molding it to the bumper, left side directly underneath the new HL. It's a Pontiac after all.

I'm still thinking what side marker lights I will be using. I like the LED ones from the Acura TL but concerned with the wire adapter.

And looking on eBay at these Toyota 2.5"x1.5" Universal Clear Side Marker Lights

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-07-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Well funds are on the way. I have broken this project to 3 main parts.

First- The Choptop w/ Sun/Moon roof.
Second- IMSA fontend, hood scoop and C5 headlight.
Third- The Mad-Archie widebody.
etc...

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-14-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

This is the first time in life that I have found outline drawing to be exciting. This is really going to be a nice build up!!

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
This is the first time in life that I have found outline drawing to be exciting. This is really going to be a nice build up!!

Thanks...

I just ordered the four L.E.D. (2 amber, 2 red) side markers that I will be using. They might be french into the fenders, depending their thickness. Size: 2.25"x1" under $30 on eBay for all four. Don't require any relay for the LED to work properly.

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

They might be french into the fenders, depending their thickness.

I'm struggling with this on my car...to french or not to french, that is the question. Right now they are not frenched and they look okay, but I think they would look better frenched.

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Here are two examples of french. In this example we will focus on the Lotus Europa (not the lady ) frenched side marker light. I like it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also noticed the front fenders are wide and round. IMO very similar to the Fiero Warehouse IMSA fenders that I will be using. I will french the side markers.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-15-2007).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Marker lights, are you going to keep them in front of the wheels or behind? I cant wait to see what you do.
Your car will look great hope to see it when its finished.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 09-15-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I like that single wiper blade thingie.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Due to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS # 108) I'm considering using these side markers:

Side marker lights and reflectors

In North America, amber front and red rear side marker lamps and reflectors are required. the law initially required lights or reflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and reflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1970. These side-facing devices make the vehicles presence.

Position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles. The lights are wired so as to illuminate whenever the vehicles parking and tail lamps are on, including when the headlamps are being used. Front amber side markers in North America may or may not be wired so as to flash with the turn signals.

Mini Cooper side fender markers for about $50 for all four on ebay. They have a modern Euro look to them IMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similar setup

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-17-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Archie, do you have a start ETA? Can we start with the front end first?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie, do you have a start ETA? Can we start with the front end first?

Remember that you stated that you wanted the 1st phase to take a couple of months, while you save up $$$. We'll likely start on it the end of next week.

The job was quoted to do it the most efficient way possible. So the plan is to do the chop 1st then start on the body. It won't be very efficient to start in the area where we were planning on ending.

Archie
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2007 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Archie, silly question. Are you aware of anyone putting a Roll bar in a CT?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FMVSS 216 - Roof Crush Resistance

FMVSS 216 is the roof crush performance test. It measures the structural strength required to protect occupants in the event the vehicle rolls over. One and one-half times the unloaded vehicle weight or 6,000 lbs. (whichever is less) of force is applied at an angle to the roof. The roof structure can depress no more than five inches to pass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The current law or requirement for rollover protection on US cars is rated on a late 1960's test put together by GM because there cars had about 8 inches of roof crush which caused bursting of the drivers spinal bones in the neck when dropped on there roof from a height of six inches. Today's cars still only have to meet FMVSS 216 which was composed by GM in the late 60's.

A 2007 car roof is no stronger than a car from the 1970's in fact a 1936 Chrysler Airflow has a stronger roof.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-19-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
Remember that you stated that you wanted the 1st phase to take a couple of months, while you save up $$$. We'll likely start on it the end of next week.

The job was quoted to do it the most efficient way possible. So the plan is to do the chop 1st then start on the body. It won't be very efficient to start in the area where we were planning on ending.
Archie

ok, but lets end on the rear. Lets start on the Choptop, then the IMSA frontend, and finally the Mad-Archie rear. Funds are available to cover most of the work. Don't want to eat up storage costs.... And then looking forward to do something with the interior sometime next year when funds are $aved up.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
It's looking better already.

Archie

P.S. You need a new windshield, the old one is mis-colored & blotchie.

a

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-28-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
mnstrfiero

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2007 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnstrfieroSend a Private Message to mnstrfieroDirect Link to This Post
archie,
i am seriously interested in the "mad archie" rear-end "wide-body" will you please e-mail me the cost of the kit? (kerist.abedi@asu.edu) Will you also quote me on a chop top cost (with paint and interior finished)? my car is an 85' notchie

thanks a lot for any imformation that you might be able to provide me!

looking forward to following this thread.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2007 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
P.S. You need a new windshield, the old one is mis-colored & blotchie.

a

I thought a new one that was included with the choptop?!..... Just joking I'll take care of it once the car is down here in FL. I'll be able to get a free one through my insurance.

Florida Statute 627.7288 states that the deductible shall not apply to windshield damages.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 09-28-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
The top is chopped we still have a bit of welding to do yet.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
All of the cutting & welding is done.....

Now we've started on the chop top bodywork.......

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Our goal is to get the 1st layer of fiberglass mat laid up on this tonight.

There is a problem with the paint that is on the car right now. Whoever put the last layer of paint on the car didn't prep the base surface very well & the paint is flaking off in chunks.

Archie
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Less sanding required I would think!
Keep up the good work.
Gary
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Can't bear to watch all the blood, seeing Fierocious cut up!... think I'm going to be sick!

Reminds me of pumpkin carving...

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-02-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I thought a new one that was included with the choptop?!..... Just joking I'll take care of it once the car is down here in FL. I'll be able to get a free one through my insurance.

Florida Statute 627.7288 states that the deductible shall not apply to windshield damages.

Just make sure the installer uses the same width when installing the rubber seal around the front windshield.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fierocious, do you plan on driving #025 back to FL once it's completed at Archie's?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
I may leave her up north. I'll PM you later.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-03-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Any newer pics?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post
Any plans or changes to your project to help you see over or around your new hips. F### maybe
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I'm a couple of days behind on posting pics.

Let's see if I can get caught up.

This is how Rob measures to make sure the top is low enough.....

Laying up the 1st layer of glass on the outside covering all the cuts.....

Once that sets up we take the clip off to put a heavy layer of glass mat on the inside of the rear clip

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
(continued)

While that sets up Rob worked on intalling the rear window.....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
He also worked on removing the scoop that was in the old hood.

We felt it would take less time & labor to reinstall it in a fresh hood than to make the original installation look good.....

This is what's left of the old hood....

Once the glasswork on the inside of the rear clip was cured then we reinstalled it onto the chassis for the last time & removed the metal clips & glassed a complete 2nd layer on the outside.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I was out of town most of the day today, so I didn't get any inprocess pics. today.

However when I got back this evening, you could see that they did the 1st fit of the MadArch WideBody.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-05-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:
Any plans or changes to your project to help you see over or around your new hips. F### maybe

You and Curly are a bad influence. I'm pondering but due to the co$$$$t of the F### mirrors, seem more no then yes ... Curly can I borrow a pair to make molds . I rather invest that money in the "Archie: Make My Fiero Wish Come True Foundation" and redo the interior dash.

PS
Will look into other alternatives...

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-28-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

FierociousGT

2307 posts
Member since Jan 2007
Surprise!

Archie, You have an email.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Simply beautiful guys. I even like the word "Formula" on the door. Hey Dave, you'd better hurry-up and decide on what type of mirror you're going to use so that the "Crew" can glass-over the old mirror opening. Archie, please keep-on posting pics!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-06-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock