3100 v6 engine swap by redneck56
Started on: 10-24-2006 01:14 PM
Replies: 219
Last post by: redneck56 on 05-09-2007 12:56 AM
redneck56

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
HI I have a 3100 v6 and tran from a 96 chev lumina car will the hole thing swap in ??? thanks

[This message has been edited by redneck56 (edited 10-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
I also have been wandering if a 3100 is a direct swap... Out of a 94 corsica...
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Yep but its a lot of work due to water pump location causing air locks in the coolling system and accesory holes in the head do not line up properly with V6 Fiero mounts. It is easier than the older 3.1's and 2.8's due to the smaller plenum, I would reccomend wiring it as it comes and not take the easy way out by using older ECM's the sequential injection makes for a better engine and better fuel mileage. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
I have the hole motor and tran on the floor will start and runs as i removed it made shure all keeped togeather .
is there a way round the water pump location causing air locks like vent pipe with a cap .
yes i figered you would have to make all new mounts .
how to get the gauges to work right??
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redneck56:

I have the hole motor and tran on the floor will start and runs as i removed it made shure all keeped togeather .
is there a way round the water pump location causing air locks like vent pipe with a cap .
yes i figered you would have to make all new mounts .
how to get the gauges to work right??

The only mount I'm aware of will have to be made is a dog bone connection, everything else will fit into place with a little trimming; a notch for the alternator in the decklid unless you relocate it, and a small notch in the aluminum oil pan to clear the front "L" bracket mount. Although I've not heard of the air pocketing in the coolant system, that issue was probably addressed in the 3100 series already from the previous 3.1s, my 3500 has a pipe coming out the top of the water pump housing that has a bleed screw on it for air pocket release, your engine may have it also. I don't suspect you will have a problem with that if you use the complete engine. The inlet for the water pump on the fwd engine is in pretty much the same location as on the 2.8L and since the thermostat housing is on the opposite end you will be able to eliminate the water pipe that runs diagonally across the side of the engine for a more direct return.

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
The best way to deal with the air build up is to use that line off the top of the thermostat housing and run it to a rear mounted overflow jug. You need one with two lines one small enough to fit the small hose from the T-stat housing and the other the size fo your heater hoses to allow the coolant to drain back into the system and a cap that holds the pressure. I found some Saturns in the wreckers with an overflow jug that works do not have any photos as the last 3100 swap I did was before I got a digital camera. Dan

------------------

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like no big deal on the colent problen .What about the gauges what will i have te change to get them to work ?
will i the fiero ecm and the 3100 pcm?? THANKS for the help so far ..
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Its similar to a 3800 swap toss the Fiero ECM and engine harness just keep the C203 and C500 connectors with a little wire for connecting the 3100 harness. What ever went through each pin in the connector for the Fiero still goes through for the 3100 engine. Remove all the loom and tape from the 3100 harness connect every thing that is needed and move the wires around to reach the needed connector feeding back into the Fiero. Just take your time follow the wiring diagrams and deal with one wire at a time. Dan
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Thank Dan. cant find the book mark to the web site for the C203 and C500 connectors .i have the the fiero servive information book to much info in the book ? i will try to put up pic on my fiero as i start on it this week end .Found the axels that will work
is there a way to keep the ac from the 3100 or do i have to use the one from the fiero thanks
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
The A/C hose fittings are barbed once you cut away the sleeve and remove the hose after the system is discharged, so you should be able to mix and match the ends or just have an A/C shop make the correct hose combo to use the later design compressor. I installed a 3400 with cast iron heads in my 84 and had to move things around including modify the A/C hose which is how I found out about the ends.
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
HI thanks will look at to see that shops will do ac lines .
Can some tell me where to find the the C203 and C500 connectors and the colors that will go with my
How do you put up pic ??? thanks
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Get a hold of the 3100 diagrams you will need them. The C500 is the one on 84's attached to the fire wall and on 85 and up's its over by the battery one half the connector is engine the other is tail lights. The C203 is inside the console it is the two part one that is near the ECM.

------------------

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Have a chilton book has sum in it kind of veg is there some place to get better info on it??
would it work best to cut ? or try to use new pins and use the old plug??
fiero is 87 4

my fiero

[This message has been edited by redneck56 (edited 10-27-2006).]

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post

redneck56

181 posts
Member since Oct 2006
HI got some pic will post more later this is what im working on coments??
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
The 3100SFI was the first engine swap that I did in a Fiero. GREAT engine swap for better MPG and a "little" more power. The 4 speed auto is a GREAT upgrade from the stock Fiero 3 speed. I even bolted the 5 speed to the 3100SFI for a while. Just take off the flexplate and bolt on a flywheel from an 88. Ran awesome.

------------------

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
how about some wiring links so i can look at wiring the 3100 ??THANKS all help needed
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of GM diagrams for a 96 Beretta with the 3100 SFI, I could mail a copy of them to you but would need an address. I tried E-mailing to some one before but I am on such slow dial up it takes hours to send them. I could also send along a copy of my notes from the last 3100 swap I did. It was bolted up to an Isuzu 5 speed and worked pretty well. Dan

------------------

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Thank sending you a email thanks for the help
hear is a pic of what i have started
my 3100
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
I'll be putting an engine just like that in my wifes 87 coupe. On the wiring, if you really think about it, it could be really easy. If you have the complete wiring harness you will notice that there is a connector similar to the C203 harness connector. I recently completed a 3800 sc swap into my GT and learned the hard way on the wiring. Good luck on your swap.
dustin
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
i have one from an 86 think they mite be the same?
Should i start matching wire before i put it in so that it will work out of the car or wait till it is in ?????
it will run now on the floor
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post

redneck56

181 posts
Member since Oct 2006
NEW question? If i use the hole wiring harnes from the 3100 lumina is there something that i need to do to hook it
up to speed, tac, volt,??? as i do not need the old ecm ?? right
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
You will need the small buffer circuit used for your speedo to function which is very easy to make, tach feed comes from the ignition module and for the rest of the gauges just wire it up feeding through the C500 and C203 connectors the same way it was with the Fiero engine. Will include all the diagrams I have that you will need including the diagram for the buffer. Dan
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Thanks sounds like it should work.
I Have engine started and need to add some more mounts it moves a lot on the frame.

Better pic later

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Some more ??? will the stock springs hold pu the 3100 and the 4t60e ???
if not what will work found some link listed as 200 to all most 300 more ??
will something from something else work thanks
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
You shouldn't have a problem weight wise, you've gained some more pounds in the transmission but lost 30lbs going to the aluminum heads, and if you have the new design small starter you've saved about another 10 lbs.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 10-29-2006).]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
No problem at all the heavier 3800's and their 4T65E HD trannys don't even add enough weight to be a problem. If you can get a hold of Fiero V6 mounts they can be modded to fit as well as the Fiero V6 alt bracket can be used by getting an extra pulley and mount it to the harmonic ballancer can't remember right off which one works just search the wreckers for one with the right number of bolt holes and spaceing from balancer. I think I used an Astro van one or some thing along that line. This way you have to run two belts but it at least gets the alt down below out of the way. Dan
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
I do have brackets off of 2,8 will dig it out and start looking at the fit.
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post

redneck56

181 posts
Member since Oct 2006
Just to start off BIG THANKS for all the help so far .
now some more ??? what to do about the exhaust it is on the worng side.
I do not want to cut the trunk .l would like it as stock as l can and quite to . should i just flip the cat to the back and pipe it
around ?? this is that im looking at

help ????? thanks
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I did for my turbo setup yesterday, finally cranked the car today after sitting for about 4 months. I drilled a 2" hole in the side of the Cherry bomb adjacent to the side of the inner pipe that does not have perforations in it so the exhaust has to go around it to the opposite side that it entered and then through the perforations in the pipe and then out the ends and the tail pipes, I had to remove the fiberglass packing of course. It's not loud at all, I will not be able to make a wide open throttle run until some time tomorrow after I finish the missing odds and ends to get an idea of how it performs under boost. It should work well with the location of your exhaust outlet. What you see has two joints that are connected with clamps and the way it sits in the car is with the pipe from the muffler angled at about 45 degrees towards the back of the engine then the long end with the O2 bung running paralle to the ground just over the end of the transmission to the back of the turbo sitting close to where the air filter canister is normally located.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 10-29-2006).]

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
very simple and quick .
i need to keep cat and exhaust to pass all states codes thanks
seen some where on this form about exhaust
ALL help welcome
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
There should be enough room to fit a small converter in that area, you may have to turn it side ways to run parallel with the tube or you can use super trapps at the tips, the muffler is not an emissions item but if the noise level without one becomes to loud that can make it one by default, some states may vary.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I have played around with many different types of exhaust and mufflers some swaps have kept the trunk and some removed it. Personally I do not like running the cat on the firewall side its way too close to the fuel tank for me and keeps the engine bay hot. With enough work you can get a small cat in there and still use a decent muffler. I have tried using various types of resonator tips to quiten down the exhaust but none made any real difference, bets way is to run a good muffler with no cat and hope the emissions guys will pass it with out the cat. I know in Ontario Canada the 3800SC Fiero gets classed as a hot rod so as long as it can pass both a full emission test and a road side sniffer test a cat is not required. Dan

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redneck56:

very simple and quick .
i need to keep cat and exhaust to pass all states codes thanks
seen some where on this form about exhaust
ALL help welcome

Just something to think about: I used the stock Fiero exhaust system on my 3100 swap. With very minor mods to the bolt holes on the exhaust header flanges they will bolt directly to the aluminum heads. The rest of the system will bolt on. The only thing that needed any real mods was the pipe that goes under the oil pan. The oil pan and engine mount under the crank pulley did not let the 87 V6 pipe fit as is. So I reshaped the pipe to fit. I also used both exhaust gaskets from the Fiero and 3100 on the header. That allowed me to cover the HUGE exhaust ports with the MICROSCOPIC Fiero headers and use the stock 3100 heat shields. I don't recommend this as a "power upgrade" but it did get me to pass smog and got the car on the road in short time. I would it it differently if I were to do it again.

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned the port mis-match would be pretty big and would certainly reduce exhaust flow efficiency considerably, Check to see if their is enough clearance to loop a pipe from the end of the rear manifold back around over the transmission to tie into the OE exhaust. A muffler shop can handle that with ease and without a fuss since it is tieing back into the catalytic converter.
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
Something to think about .what kind of error code will i get ?? the 3100 had 2 oxygen sensors one was after the cat
something else as you can see from the pic only one exhaust port from the back

Will it still work ?? hard to teal as i all ready have it mounted to the frame .just trying to find out things like this so i do not
have to take it in and out to get things to fit .Thanks
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
If programming is not available to tune one out or disable the error code, putting both in line might ward off any problem depending on what the signal is being used for in addition to O2 sensing.
BJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BJRSend a Private Message to BJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

You will need the small buffer circuit used for your speedo to function which is very easy to make, tach feed comes from the ignition module and for the rest of the gauges just wire it up feeding through the C500 and C203 connectors the same way it was with the Fiero engine. Will include all the diagrams I have that you will need including the diagram for the buffer. Dan

Would it be possible to send all the stuff listed above to someone who could post it here. That would be very helpful to a lot of us contemplating a 3100 or 3400 swap. Thanks Brian
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I just dropped off a package with every thing in it if the reciever of the stuff wants to put it up thats fine by me. As for the second O2 it is not required it may throw a code but it doesn't effect any thing. The PCM samples the second O2 once in a while to make sure the cat is functioning. Dan
redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post
IF i can reamber just be for i puld the moter i was geting some code about the back o2 but it was still working
l will try to keep it up to date as what i have got done

[This message has been edited by redneck56 (edited 10-31-2006).]

redneck56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redneck56Send a Private Message to redneck56Direct Link to This Post

redneck56

181 posts
Member since Oct 2006
About the colent l have a vent pluge looks to be low will this get the air out

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave