Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  ZZ4 TPI Swap right here, right now (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
ZZ4 TPI Swap right here, right now by Archie
Started on: 06-13-2003 10:47 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: $Rich$ on 11-05-2003 11:18 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Today a customer dropped off his Fiero for a ZZ4 TPI swap.

We plan to hae it done in about 2 weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone wants to see a daily play by play on this swap as we go.

Here is the victim

Archie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KRMFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
We want to know every little detail!
JEDI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JEDISend a Private Message to JEDIDirect Link to This Post
ARCHIE! Of coarse we want to see the details! EVERYONE OF THEM even the stacks of beer cans!

PS: Would that Small block 454 in Hot Rod mag fit?

[This message has been edited by JEDI (edited 06-13-2003).]

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Of course.. Play by play baby!

James Z

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
C'mon, give it to me. I can take it!

Sour

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
no, we dont like that kinda stuff on here. Take it to the mustang forum.

yes we want to see it

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • chevy S10 Parts Fetcher-getting a new engine to haul my fieros(and others)
  • 87SE V6 auto-L4 to V6 done, Daily Driver
  • My Shower Cam
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
DO IT!!!!!!

Tyler

------------------
85 LT4 GT
Custom Everything
in progress

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Well, since you twisted my arm about it.........
Convertable Indy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Convertable IndySend a Private Message to Convertable IndyDirect Link to This Post
Let the transformation begin! And don't forget, pics,pics,pics!!

------------------
'84 Indy-'85 Convertable-'87 GT-'86 GT

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i think the owner works here in Sioux Falls SD, can you confirm that archie what town in iowa is the car from?

------------------
Rich
* '86 se: , 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's., ported manifolds
* '86se: ,350 bored .030 over,World Products s/r Torquers - ported, Manley valves, edelbrock 750cfm, carb sanderson cc90's,4:10,Spec stage 3copper puck clutch , adj.Koni's, Eibach's,polly. and lots more!!
*'92 BMW 325i : borla exhaust, ST brace, cold air intake

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
YES YES YES YES!!
PFF
System Bot
HOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HOSSend a Private Message to HOSDirect Link to This Post
What is the white rebody beside it, GT-40?
L67Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67FormulaSend a Private Message to L67FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if you're being kind or cruel.

If you will take the time to post it, I will commit to an equal amount of time drooling over it.
jp

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2003 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
What?!!! Are you kidding?!!! Of course we want to see it happening.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Well We managed to get started on the swap yesterday (Saturday). One of the guys (Rob) wanted to work Saturday and we managed to get a running start on the swap.

Some of you have heard me mention that sometimes I have so many visitors that stop by the shop that I sometimes call it "Archie's Clubhouse".

Well Saturday was one of those days, there were people coming and going all day. So all of the progress you see below was done by Rob alone.

Starting at 8:30 AM He removed the decklid and worked at dis-assembling everything that can be reached from the top. Remove Battery, fuel lines, air cleaner, throttle/cruise/shift cables etc......

We take the wire harness out with the engine, so we remove the center console & disconnect the harness from the ECM. You can see the harness laying on top of the engine in the above pics. The following interior pic shows the missing console and the area where the ECM was disconnected. The harness pulls right out thru that driver's side hole between the seats.

Jack the car up in the air, remove a few things, unbolt the tops of the struts, remove the calipers and lower the engine/transs/cradle assembly out onto a dollie and roll it out from under the car. Just 2 hours & 22 minutes after starting on the car, Rob has the whole unit out of the car and ready to put up on a workbench and proceed with the rest of the swap.....

more to come

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Among the visitors at Archie's Clubhouse were these 2 guys..... They wandered in from someplace..... can anyone correctly identify them?

more to come

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Next we set the engine/transs/cradle assy. up on a work table and start disassembling it. We remove the wire harness in one piece & the Alternator, A/C Compressor & suspension from it....

Total time 3 hr. 45 min. To get to this point.

Tomorrow, I'll report on tomorrow's workday....

Archie

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
You guys are slow! I removed the engine/Cradle/Tranny in less then 30 minutes... All you have to do is take a sawzall, cutoff wheel and cut through all the wiring, connections and then take a torch and cut through the cradle... J/K, i did do that before on a car i was sending go the crusher anyway.

Nice work! That is some damn good time... I really like the look of that Notchback in yellow, makes me want to do a paint job.

Kyle

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
PM sent
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Archie:

Archie

What with the Ford GT 40/Avenger? bodies in the background?

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

What with the Ford GT 40/Avenger? bodies in the background?

Those are not Avengers they are correct Mark I bodies mounted to modified Fiero chassis'.

Check out this thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/024195.html

Archie

PFF
System Bot
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Archie??? Someday you do this with the auto tranny, for us auto guys???? Thanks Gary
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GKDINC:

Archie??? Someday you do this with the auto tranny, for us auto guys???? Thanks Gary

We can do that.

Actually we have an LT1 with a 440 O.D. chop top swap coming up in a few weeks that we can document for you.

Archie

88GT5.0KILLER
From: Watching a once great nation become a 3rd world slum. The power of stockpiles of ammo.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2003 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT5.0KILLERSend a Private Message to 88GT5.0KILLERDirect Link to This Post
I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Where do you put your jack stands at in the rear? I want to know so I can drop the engine and other mods to my car without putting the jack stands in the wrong place from the get go. How high do I need to go to drop the engine out? Thanks.....That zz4 is.....well u cant see drool but you get the idea.
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Any pics of the ZZ4 engine?

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Maroon/Silver

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
hey arch....

www.worldcastings.com

you gotta do it

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
yes im 17
yes this is my first car
no im not rich

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2003 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GT5.0KILLER:

I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Where do you put your jack stands at in the rear? I want to know so I can drop the engine and other mods to my car without putting the jack stands in the wrong place from the get go. How high do I need to go to drop the engine out? Thanks.....That zz4 is.....well u cant see drool but you get the idea.

The front jackstands are located on the crossmember and the read stands are on the frame rail just ahead of where the front of the engine cradle bolts in.

The rear is 45" from floor to the top of the rear wheel well.

Archie

Doesn't anyone have a guess who the 2 guests I had on Saturday were?

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2003 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
It's the guy from the AARP table.
Last time I seen him he had a bunch of beads around his neck.
Call 'em THE PREZZ I believe.
Young guy next to him is his son.
For the life of me can't remember his name now, but I do remember him from the Dells.
Came up to me asking for a ride in my car for a friend of his.
Wanted to convert him to a Fiero Lover.
Think we managed to do so.

Tina

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 06-16-2003).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tina:

It's the guy from the AARP table.
Last time I seen him he had a bunch of beads around his neck.
Call 'em THE PREZZ I believe.
Young guy next to him is his son.
For the life of me can't remember his name now, but I do remember him from the Dells.
Came up to me asking for a ride in my car for a friend of his.
Wanted to convert him to a Fiero Lover.
Think we managed to do so.

Tina

There you go, glad to see that someone is reading this thread.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2003 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Today's progress report starts with a bit of an apology. We got a lot done today & I took about 50 pictures of the progress. However I left one of the discs (about 14 pics.) at the shop tonight when I came home. I will give a description of what we did, then tomorrow I'll edit this post to insert the pics.

The 1st thing we did today was to finish disassembling the engine/trans. from the engine cradle.

Since we are replacing the 4 speed with a 5 speed we Didn't have to remove the trans from the original engine. This is a good running engine/transmission combination and I'm happy to report that the customer is taking that assembly back with him when he picks up the car.

After seperating the engine cradle from the engine/trans we cleaned it and the replacement transmission.

more to come.........

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-21-2003).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2003 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
The only thing we have to do to the engine cradle to get it ready for the fitting of the new engine is to trim off the original front motor mount pad. This makes more room for routing the exhaust system.

The transmission getting preped and painted.

The engine is a 355 HP ZZ4 crate engine. I've shown the detailed assembly of the V-8 engines before, this time I'll show pictures of it with the items mounted.

The starter and remote oil filter system are mounted....

more to come........

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
The adapter plate, Flywheel & clutch are mounted up.....

The alignment of the starter is easier to do at this time.

The Polished TPI "Big Mouth" intake base manifold is mounted up to the engine.

The transmission is bolted up to the engine.

Now it's time to fit the engine/trans assy. to the engine cradle.

more to come......yeah, we got a lot done today.....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
A bit of aligning and bolting and measuring and the engine is mounted up to the cradle ready for the 1st. trial fitting.

We also got some of the engine compartment cleaning done today. Tomorrow you'll see the 1st trial fitting of this engine into the Fiero.

Yes, we got a lot done today. One of my guys put in 4 hours today on this project and another guy got 9 hours in on it. They were both complaining that my picture taking is slowing them down.

C U tomorrow.

Archie

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Not to hijack Archie's thread...but did anyone else notice the black GT40 in the background? Arch...a possible targa?

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 06-17-2003).]

BigLittleV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigLittleV8Click Here to visit BigLittleV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigLittleV8Direct Link to This Post
Archie , I noticed that the trans. mount in the pics. is a soild mount. Is something new or are you just using it durring the setup process?

Mark
84 V8 383 4 speed
85 gt auto

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Not sure how I missed this topic yesterday (I love these threads).

A few things... the two guys in your picture ("that guy from the AARP table & his son") happen to be Tom "The Prezz" and Jon Podziemski from the Wisconsin Fiero Fanatics

I'd also like to 2nd the idea that we'd love to see an automatic buildup - bring it on!

Archie- keep up the awesome work & pics... I'll be calling you soon!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Just wondering, what auto tranny is that?

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Maroon/Silver

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:

its not, notice the pic of the clutch install and the shift cable brackets on the tranny itself

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

It's a 5 spd isuzu.

Great pics Archie!!!

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 06-17-2003).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2003 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
We can do that.

Actually we have an LT1 with a 440 O.D. chop top swap coming up in a few weeks that we can document for you.

Archie

The 440t4 is the non computer controlled 4speed automatic. Its similar to a stock fiero 125 with an overdrive. Very popular swap for automatic guys. MinnGreenGt has on in his car.

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 06-17-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock