Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  Tips for a fresh college grad on the prowl for work? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tips for a fresh college grad on the prowl for work? by nitroheadz28
Started on: 07-25-2013 09:24 PM
Replies: 121 (2292 views)
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 08-07-2013 01:30 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that not everyone is intelligent enough to make use of a college degree, so yes, for some, it is indeed a total waste of time and $$.
IP: Logged
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that not everyone is intelligent enough to make use of a college degree, so yes, for some, it is indeed a total waste of time and $$.

Well of course! We've got living proof in this thread
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:
Well of course! We've got living proof in this thread

I don't see you working in your field now are you, or does waiting tables count,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-29-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Steve, just a thought. I'm sitting here on my young smart ass having fun reading your drivel, don't let the bitterness kill ya!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Steve, just a thought. I'm sitting here on my young smart ass having fun reading your drivel, don't let the bitterness kill ya!

hey I'm sitting here on my old smart ass because I know You will never amount to anything because You think you know it all. make fun of a handicapped person again in any thread you post and I will make sure you never get a job other than waiting tables.

just how funny do you think that is kid.

Steve

------------------

NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

hey I'm sitting here on my old smart ass because I know You will never amount to anything because You think you know it all. make fun of a handicapped person again in any thread you post and I will make sure you never get a job other than waiting tables.

Steve

I've only given negative ratings a couple times in 4 years. You are one of them. I wish I could give you another.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

make fun of a handicapped person again in any thread you post and I will make sure you never get a job other than waiting tables.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

make fun of a handicapped person again in any thread you post and I will make sure you never get a job other than waiting tables.

In order for a threat to work, the person has to believe not only that you're willing, but capable of making good on the threat.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

In order for a threat to work, the person has to believe not only that you're willing, but capable of making good on the threat.

Not a threat a promise, I don't threaten people,
he don't know me very well now does he, yet.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-29-2013).]

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not a threat a promise

I've used them meme too many times but it is appropriate yet again.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He trashed my thread anyway so why not have some fun and keep watching him get negged little by little

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dearest Steve.

Do you agree that Nick is a better welder?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not a threat a promise, I don't threaten people,
he don't know me very well now does he, yet.

Steve

threat: a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course; menace

You may consider it a promise, but a lawyer would consider it a threat. Just an FYI.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve

You have to be the most bitter pot smoking handicapped person I know.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patiently waiting for the next wave of stupidity to ensue
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Steve. Tony Kania here. Just thought that I would let you know that while you and I have always gotten along, and we had a common enemy, you ARE being an azz. Tom is a really great young man. Sure he doesn't have 30 years of experience at anything, he is not that old yet.

Also, quit using your "handicap" as an excuse. We get it. You are in pain. Do not forget that others have pains also.

I mentioned a week or two ago to just breathe. Well, ****ing exhale once in a while. You really have fallen as of late when it comes to manners. Not that you were chock full of them before, but we are all "members" here, and you need to show some ****ing courtesy to us. Period.

BTW, you are still rated as a positive. Not that that matters to you, but it does to me.

Tony

Tom: get off of your azz boy! You worthless POS. *sarcasm*

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 07-30-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Hi Steve. Tony Kania here. Just thought that I would let you know that while you and I have always gotten along, and we had a common enemy, you ARE being an azz. Tom is a really great young man. Sure he doesn't have 30 years of experience at anything, he is not that old yet.

Tom: get off of your azz boy! You worthless POS. *sarcasm*

Gracias amigo

Hey if you want you can hire me so I can undermine that neighbor full time without you having to worry about a thing
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.

!

Amen!

Use a professional resume service or start from a good template if you can do it yourself. Don't use a cookie cutter resume or be too artsy. You can start with a good template using MS word or something but it needs to be changed enough to NOT look like it came from MS word.

Prepare for the interview. Dress appropriately, know the companies background, know what is expected in the job and make sure you ask the interviewer a few questions.

Remember the interviewers names and send a thanks you letter after the interview.

Interviewing is like going out on a first date and is a game of numbers. Learn from your mistakes and constantly improve your game.
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread makes me LOL. So much for "the last word" hahaha
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

This thread makes me LOL. So much for "the last word" hahaha

Right? Where'd the entertainment go?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fun's all over here boys. Might as well head 'em up and start for Montana.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Steve. You can be a ****ing idiot at times mang.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This must be the first "help me find a job" thread to end up in the Trash Can.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets not forget that apparently from now on he will be hounding me in every thread I make with this:

Oh that's it you arrogant little twit, I will make sure you never have any thread that I don't post that last post in every time you post.

Sigh, well at least many of you were helpful and I really appreciate it guys. Hopefully I can find something soon enough.
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually hate to post here after this ignorant mess. I'll start out by congratulating you on getting your degree. Higher education is a difficult choice to pursue after having gone to school for 13 years already. I for one am proud to have paid my taxes in order to help you to achieve this goal in your life, I'm sure your parents are very proud as well. Looking at job options around your area does not seem to be paying off so well at the time. You have a few choices, you can either wait for the job market in your area to grow stronger or strike off on a new adventure and go to where the jobs are. The automotive industry is booming in east Tennessee at the moment. There are good jobs all over the place that the migrant worker influx is not qualified to do. There are few union shops here so there is little chance of the companies folding up to go to a more employer friendly area. The cost of living is quite a bit lower than you used to. The weather is a bit more comfortable as well. There is good money to be made in such an area. There are of course other parts of the country that are also recovering at a faster rate than the norm that might suit your needs.
Do you have what it takes to take that chance? I'll be trying to keep up with future threads to see what you have decided on.
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this is unconventional: In after trash can!
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't understand how such a nice and helpful topic went to the trash so quickly. So what, if he went to college or not, that's HIS choice. There was no reason for any of this to happen. As the old saying goes: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And just because someone insults you, that doesn't mean you retaliate. This is the internet. You can easily scroll down and ignore the hate.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nazareth:

I actually hate to post here after this ignorant mess. I'll start out by congratulating you on getting your degree. Higher education is a difficult choice to pursue after having gone to school for 13 years already. I for one am proud to have paid my taxes in order to help you to achieve this goal in your life, I'm sure your parents are very proud as well. Looking at job options around your area does not seem to be paying off so well at the time. You have a few choices, you can either wait for the job market in your area to grow stronger or strike off on a new adventure and go to where the jobs are. The automotive industry is booming in east Tennessee at the moment. There are good jobs all over the place that the migrant worker influx is not qualified to do. There are few union shops here so there is little chance of the companies folding up to go to a more employer friendly area. The cost of living is quite a bit lower than you used to. The weather is a bit more comfortable as well. There is good money to be made in such an area. There are of course other parts of the country that are also recovering at a faster rate than the norm that might suit your needs.
Do you have what it takes to take that chance? I'll be trying to keep up with future threads to see what you have decided on.

Thanks a lot sir! Its really too bad that one man was able to destroy the thread as much as he did , it was supposed to be a productive outlet for myself and the other few youngins here in a similar position). Heh my one living parent doesn't even know where my school is located let alone what the name of it is. Thanks for the pointer about TN, I will definitely become more aggressive in the hunt and will take whatever measures I deem necessary. Thanks again for the support
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If all else fails nitro', remember, I will hold you tight during the darkness.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If all else fails nitro', remember, I will hold you tight during the darkness.

Yes, you'll probably have to do that because Steve vowed via PM that he will track my every post and report any more disability remarks to the ADA and Special Olympics so that its forwarded to any job I might apply to

Oh cause I was obviously making fun of the disabled and do that on a regular basis if at all , gotta love keyboard warriors
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, you'll probably have to do that because Steve vowed via PM that he will track my every post and report any more disability remarks to the ADA and Special Olympics so that its forwarded to any job I might apply to

Oh cause I was obviously making fun of the disabled and do that on a regular basis if at all , gotta love keyboard warriors

ADA: The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation

Special Olympics Mission: The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. We give them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and share personal skills, gifts of spirit, and friendship with their families, their fellow Special Olympics athletes, and the world.

Sounds like neither of these two really have an interest it what you have to say. Just ignore Steve's PM's, nothing but negativity. The only PM from him I've received is him telling me WhiteDevil was a bad bad man.
Have you tried putting your resume on the larger job search engines such as Monster? Doing a quick search finds a few entry level jobs. Good Luck with the search!

PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Sounds like neither of these two really have an interest it what you have to say. Just ignore Steve's PM's, nothing but negativity. The only PM from him I've received is him telling me WhiteDevil was a bad bad man.
Have you tried putting your resume on the larger job search engines such as Monster? Doing a quick search finds a few entry level jobs. Good Luck with the search!

I haven't tried putting my resume up on the net, I looked on Monster and a few search engines in my area and there wasn't anything I could even apply for. Regardless putting it up on those search engines can't hurt.

I looked into the career resources section of my school's website and was able to find an NYS Dept of Labor job bank, out of 500+ engineering related jobs I was only able to apply for 2 , but its better than nothing. I'll have to call my school and see if there are any other resources because there isn't much on the site.

Apart from that I'll get into it more seriously this coming week and be looking for jobs I could possibly relocate for.
goatvenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the company i work for is hiring mechanical engineers like mad currently and after reading this tread i would be embarrassed to put my name out for you. i wish you luck in finding a job and i certainly hope you and others on this forum don't act like this off of their computers. pm me and ill pass you some info BUT I WILL NOT VOUCH for you after reading this thread.

Ryan

and not to single any one out or to hurt feelings i dont promote people on there behavior or their lack of sometimes, as we all are dummies sometime.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatvenom:

the company i work for is hiring mechanical engineers like mad currently and after reading this tread i would be embarrassed to put my name out for you. i wish you luck in finding a job and i certainly hope you and others on this forum don't act like this off of their computers. pm me and ill pass you some info BUT I WILL NOT VOUCH for you after reading this thread.

Ryan

and not to single any one out or to hurt feelings i dont promote people on there behavior or their lack of sometimes, as we all are dummies sometime.

Draw your own conclusions, I'm not sure exactly what here constitutes as embarrassing behavior on my part with the exception of having fun with Steve's BS. But this is the interwebz, had I known I was doing a job interview for you- I would've at least wore something with lace

Thank you for the tip but I'll save you the embarrassment of dealing with the likes of me

So instead of running errands and going to the body shop to get some progress going with my Trans Am today, I've been applying left and right to entry level positions all over the country. It can't hurt and someone's bound to be foolish enough to give me a chance

Plus I could really use a change of scenery, I've been tired of NYC for a long time.

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 08-02-2013).]

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I don't understand how such a nice and helpful topic went to the trash so quickly. So what, if he went to college or not, that's HIS choice. There was no reason for any of this to happen. As the old saying goes: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And just because someone insults you, that doesn't mean you retaliate. This is the internet. You can easily scroll down and ignore the hate.

I tried this very thing awhile ago when I was unemployed in TOTand got the same deal. If I had not abandoned my own thread I most likely would have gotten banned. That experience has kept me away from that section since and I have no intentions of going back. To the OP just keep at it and follow up until you are getting annoyed at yourself and keep going. Currently am trying to get on CSX myself and talking can be your best friend. I actually keep my job at the hardware store just to keep hounding the CSX workers that come in so that my name will get in the air. Delivering pizza is a good way to get out there too. it keeps some change in your pocket and if you throw a resume in the box you never know who joe schmo that likes anchovies works for.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
testing sig

------------------
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view. My first KO

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find companies in your area that have people in the field you want to go into. Research the company. Write a cover letter specific to that company and a position you're interested in. Take that and your resume to HR. Repeat as many times to different companies. Don't expect a job, hope for an interview and a second interview.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:

I tried this very thing awhile ago when I was unemployed in TOTand got the same deal. If I had not abandoned my own thread I most likely would have gotten banned. That experience has kept me away from that section since and I have no intentions of going back. To the OP just keep at it and follow up until you are getting annoyed at yourself and keep going. Currently am trying to get on CSX myself and talking can be your best friend. I actually keep my job at the hardware store just to keep hounding the CSX workers that come in so that my name will get in the air. Delivering pizza is a good way to get out there too. it keeps some change in your pocket and if you throw a resume in the box you never know who joe schmo that likes anchovies works for.

Wow I'm sorry to see that, some guys on here are toolbags and get away with quite a lot. Thanks a lot and good luck getting into CSX.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2013 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knowing a bit about you, and al of the conversations that you and I have had, I believe that you would do well with a change of scenery.

Personally, I have no issues with vouching for Tom.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Knowing a bit about you, and al of the conversations that you and I have had, I believe that you would do well with a change of scenery.

Personally, I have no issues with vouching for Tom.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock