6th Annual Vine Run - Moaning Caverns, CA by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 04-24-2023 09:05 PM
Replies: 8 (261 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 05-22-2023 11:14 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark your calendar for Saturday May 20, 2023.

The 6th Annual "Vine Run" is on!

Primarily, this is a run through the gold country foothills from the Sacramento area to the Moaning Caverns attraction near Angels Camp, and on to Sonora, in Northern California. This should be a nice leisurely drive along Hwy 49 which will also feature a visit to the Columbia Historic State Park just outside of Sonora and then a short hop to downtown Sonora for a nice meal.

The official departure point will be the home of the organizers of the event, Ron & Jenny, the address will be shared with confirmed attendees. We encourage everyone to meet us here for coffee and pastries at 8:30 PM and before our 9:00 AM departure time. For those who may not want to make the trip to the Sacramento area, you may also join the run at one of our destination stops along the way, according the the times listed below.

From our home in Citrus Heights ( adress to be supplied to confirmed runners) we will travel to our first stop at the Starbucks located at 4311 Town Center Blvd, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762 with a planned arrival at 9:45 AM. This is a meet up point for anyone wishing to join the run from this location. We will depart Starbucks at 10:00 AM for the run to the caverns via Latrob Rd and Hwy 49. Please note that there are no fuel stops planned for the remainder of the run. There are two gas stations ( Valero and Chevron ) on the corner near Starbucks so you are encouraged to top off your tanks before departure.

From Starbucks we will travel about 90 minutes (65 miles) to Moaning Caverns at 5350 Moaning Cave Rd, Vallecito, CA 95251, arriving at approx. 11:30 AM.
Our tour at the caverns will be the NOON one hour tour.

YOU MUST MAKE YOUR OWN RESERVATIONS ASAP IF YOU WISH TO TOUR THE CAVERN!

Book online at https://moaningcaverns.com/

It is highly recommended that you make your individual reservations for this specific tour as soon as you decide to attend, as they will likely sell-out prior to our scheduled date. Tickets are $23 per person. Be aware that this is not a walking tour. It is a descent down a long spiral ironworks staircase to the chamber floor and may not be visable for those with mobility issues. There are picnic tables available for anyone not wishing to descend.

Following the tour we will depart Moaning Caverns at 1:30 PM for the 15 minute trip via Parrot's Ferry Rd for a two hour visit to Columbia Historic State Park outside of Sonora. We plan to arrive at 1:45 PM and Entrance adepart at 3:45 pm. Park admission and parking are FREE. The parking situation may be unpredictable. Our plan is to park in the Lower Lot at the corner of Parrot's Ferry Rd and Columbia Street. If the lot is full there are other parking lots nearby. Details on the prk are available at... https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

A bit about the park follows...

Columbia was once known as the "Gem of the Southern Mines." Between the 1850s and 1870s over one billion dollars in gold (at today's value) was mined in the area. For a time, Columbia was the second largest city in California. Unlike many other settlements that disappeared due to fire, vandalism and time, Columbia survived. It was never completely deserted. In 1945 the State Legislature made the site a State Historic Park in order to preserve a typical Gold Rush town, an example of one of the most colorful eras in American history. Today visitors can take a step back in time to experience life in Gold Rush era of the 1850's and 60's in California.

Parking and entrance to Columbia State Historic Park are free. Additional fees may apply for special events in the park.
The park itself is still a bustling town with many local business to explore. Visitors can taste hand-dipped chocolates, a superior cup of coffee, savor fine dining, family fare or purchase picnic provisions. Stagecoach rides are available, season and weather permitting. There's also the chance to relax at one of two comfortable hotels, listen to music in historic saloons, or take in a performances at the Fallon Theatre. Visitors can make a candle or purchase Columbia soap, wooden toys, old fashion clothes, or dress-up for a photograph.

Other highlights include taking a walk to the two-story brick school house and cemetery overlooking town, or hiking the one-mile nature trail where mule deer and wild flowers may be seen.

We will depart the park at 3:45 pm for our final destination in Downtown Sonora, arriving at about 4pm. There are many shops to visit along S. Washington St. Upon arrival we will be dining at the El Arroyo Cantina and Mexican Kitchen at 126 S Washington St. where we will wrap up the run with good food and conversation. You can view the restaurant and menu at... https://www.facebook.com/Elarroyocantina

As always, this is a free gathering of Fiero enthusiasts. All expenses including, but not limited to fuel, meals, hotel, insurance, towing, or any other expenses are on you. The organizer accepts no responsibility for the suitability or roadworthiness of your vehicle, the condition of the roads, traffic conditions, weather, or anything else. Let's just have a great turn out and enjoy ourselves!

Please confirm your attendance and meetup location to me in order to facilitate planning!

Approximate arrival and departure times are listed below:

Departure from our home at Citrus Heights : 9 am (8:30 am arrival)
Departure from Starbucks meetup point at 4311 Town Center Blvd, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762 at 10am
Arrival at Moaning Caverns at: 5350 Moaning Cave Rd, Vallecito, CA 95251 at 11:30 AM
Cavern tour: NOON
Departure from Moaning Caverns at: 1:30 pm
Arrrival at Columbia Historic State Park at: 1:45 PM
Departure from Columbia Historic State Park at : 3:45 PM
Arrival at El Arroyo Cantina and Mexican Restaurant, 126 S Washington St, Sonora at: 4 PM
Departure from Sonora: your preference.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 05-01-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gldkarma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In the summary of points of departure at the bottom it says you're departing the Starbucks in El Dorado Hills at 9:00. The narrative above says 10:00 and I hope that's correct! We're anxious to see who will be going from here and if we can get a caravan plan together.

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gldkarma:

In the summary of points of departure at the bottom it says you're departing the Starbucks in El Dorado Hills at 9:00. The narrative above says 10:00 and I hope that's correct! We're anxious to see who will be going from here and if we can get a caravan plan together.

Thanks for the heads up. The departure from Starbucks El Dorado Hills is 10 am.

Dccarguy05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dccarguy05Send a Private Message to Dccarguy05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to attend but it is me and my wife’s 18th wedding anniversary and will be in Ft. Bragg . Keep me posted if any other events are planned in the Sacramento area. P.S hopefully you made good use of those seats!
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2023 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going- but driving my van- and I will meet you at the cave....I can slide down the railing to get down in the cave- not sure how I will get up outta the cave ("Moaning" indeed)

Also, I am bringing my neighbor's son- he is 16 and going crazy for cars- and adventures.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2023 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I am going- but driving my van- and I will meet you at the cave....I can slide down the railing to get down in the cave- not sure how I will get up outta the cave ("Moaning" indeed)

Also, I am bringing my neighbor's son- he is 16 and going crazy for cars- and adventures.

Glad you can make it. See you both there!
gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2023 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay, I just talked to a girl over at Moaning Caverns about the viewing platform 65 ft. down.  She said yes, we could go as far as the first viewing platform and decide at that point if we wanted to go further.  If not we would have to exit the cavern at that point as they turn the lights there off as the descenders proceed down the 100-ft. spiral staircase, which is lighted, to the lower platform at the bottom.  And we're aware that what goes down must come back up, so we will have to think about that also and can decide when we get there and see it!

JC
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2023 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all (Basically) survived.....Moaning cave caused a lot of ...moaning....100 feet spiral staircase- going down was a bit trying...coming back up....Arrggggggg!

Columbia, old gold rush town, was as spectacular as I remembered it from my visits (last one in 2003)

And the food at El Arroyo was great! (Even if I had to eat separate from the group because of my dog (We were outside on the "Patio")

5 to 7 Fieros (Plus my van (My Fiero doesn't have AC) during most of the trip...Nice seeing some of my Fiero-compatriots! (Hope some of you will post some pictures)

My neighbor's son who accompanied me was, as he told his father after he got home, "In heaven"...
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to those who organized this. Those who organized this know who organized this. (I guess that could have gone without saying.)

After my unexpectedly early departure from the group, at Columbia State Park, I was able to drive all the way home in my Fiero without roadside assistance of any kind. The engine was stalling consistently every time I had to take my foot off the throttle, but it wasn't stalling under part throttle. When the temperatures outside came down after the mid afternoon highs, the stalling condition subsided.

I'll be taking this up with an auto mechanic and repair shop owner whose been helping me take care of my Fiero for many years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock