Route 50 by State - This month: Missouri by Just Say Go
Started on: 02-01-2009 07:49 AM
Replies: 17 (432 views)
Last post by: thefierofarm.com on 02-09-2009 11:44 PM
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case you missed or need to revisit the earlier state topics:
Maryland & DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Ohio
Indiana
Illinois

Last month, we talked about staying away from East St. Louis. Allthough we'd be alright if we stay on the interstate, there are a lot of great things to do in St. Louis if we wander a short distance from US-50, such as touring Anheuser Busch, the Arch, and Gateway International Raceway.

After all that, we'll get on I-44 which is also Route 50 for 30 miles until exit 247.

We then come to the state capitol, Jefferson City.

If time allows, we might take a side trip to see the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks.

Then it's on to Sedalia.

At Knob Noster, there's a very slim chance that we can take a tour of Whiteman Air Force Base. I say it's a slim chance, because they only give tours one Friday each month, and you can't just drop in, it has to be arranged far in advance, with the names & detailed information about each guest.

As we approach Independence, we'll visit with That Todd Guy at The Fiero Farm.

Kansas City International Raceway Park is very close to Route 50, so I hope to line up something for us there, depending on when we expect to be in the neighborhood.

Route 50 then crosses into Kansas on I-435.

So, who's going to join us in Missouri? Who can submit some pics of the highway there?

You can help me out by getting some GAS stickers, mugs, keychains and mousepads.

------------------

---------------------
The Fiero Store is the
exclusive sponsor of GAS

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in the lake of the ozarks, and have followed 50 from Jeff city all the way to KC. Some of it is typical 2 lane missouri roads, and some of it is nice 4 lane. Overall the roads are not too bad. When will you be coming through? If my fiero is up and going, and the wife isn't too close to her due date, I'll try to join in for at least part of the missouri leg. Thanks, William

------------------
Hmmmmmmmmm.......now if I can just talk the Army out of an engine, I bet I can get it to fit hehehehehehe >

chaosfinity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chaosfinitySend a Private Message to chaosfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey i live right here by kcir and can get pictures of 50 hwy in lee's summit and kansas city by the raceway. The pontiac club here does pontiac only days at kcir we could possibly talk with them and work it out for when everyone is in the area.
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thumper_64735:

When will you be coming through?

Middle of June, 2010. Exact date not known yet. These topics are to help determine such things.
Be sure to check out the GAS website.

Originally posted by chaosfinity:

Hey i live right here by kcir and can get pictures of 50 hwy in lee's summit and kansas city by the raceway. The pontiac club here does pontiac only days at kcir we could possibly talk with them and work it out for when everyone is in the area.

Awesome! You can post pics here and/or send them to my email. Thanks!
jgrotzin

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jgrotzinSend a Private Message to jgrotzinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in Columbia, but teach in California, which is a small town about 30 miles west of Jeff City. It's where 50 stops being 4 lane although they are working on bypassing California right now I don't know when they plan on being done with it. If we needed a meeting point for several cars the school parking lot would be a great place and I can talk with administration about letting us use it if people were staying overnight in the area. There's cameras everywhere so it'd work out pretty well. I also think there is a campsite near there that people to drive to (curvy road). If you need any info about the area pics/vids just let me know I drive 50 from Jeff to California about everyday!

I think you'll find east 50 (StL to Jeff) is far nicer than west 50 (Jeff to KC) becuase most of west 50 is 4 lane. There are also some very nice wineries in Hermann, MO might be another good meeting point for people. Although it's not on 50 there's a shortcut to catch back up with 50 in Jeff City.

If you need anything else let me know I am by no means an expert but I have driven all of 50 StL to KC a few times.

BTW I am thinking about joining up with gas in either StL or in MD, Nice thing about teaching I get the whole summer off! As long as gas isn't rediculous it shouldn't be a problem.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chuck... where is that car warehouse that you, me, & cadero hooked up with Hosler, Stricker, & Amir going to the 20th?

Is that off route50?... Maybe that was in Illinois...

.... wonder if the nearly new Grand National I was drooling over is still in there....

------------------

<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember what it was like, but I don't remember what it was called or exactly where it was. Didn't we meet Paul at Effingham (IL)? That's on I-70, more than 33 miles north of US-50. But it was very interesting.
thefierofarm.com

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ask for input from the KCFOG members at the last meeting but I am still waiting for feedback.
There is a burger place in Sedalia that is world famous for their Guber Burgers. They have peanut butter on them. I know it sounds funny but don't knock it till you try it. They are really good as long as you don't HATE peanut butter. It is called The Wheel Inn. It used to be at the intersection of hwy 50 and hwy 65 but they had to move it down the road a little ways to allow for road construction.

Have any of you heard of it or even eaten there?

There are a few historical things in Independence like the stuff about Harry S. Truman.
chaosfinity--- This is your que. Please supply more info on this.

There is a place called Powell Gardens that would be fun that time of year.
http://www.powellgardens.org/
It is on hwy 50 right before where you turn off to go to the Fiero Farm.

The Fiero Farm is about 10 miles north of hwy 50.
www.fierofarm.com
I have a lift and about any tool needed to do any repairs that might be due while on the trip.

There is a place called Union Station In Kansas City that would be a good stop. They always have some event goning on there.
http://www.unionstation.org/

I found this on the web
http://www.roadfood.com/

I will see what else I can come up with.

------------------
That Todd guy

The Fiero Farm is not officially open but if you need parts, Email me at todd@thefierofarm.com
www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
www.smokehouse.com is a little south of Jefferson City. A deli at the place to eat fine pork products..bacon, bacon, bacon... Check out "The Smokehouse" link on their site.
jgrotzin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jgrotzinSend a Private Message to jgrotzinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot about central dairy, probably the best ice cream in the area and it's in Jeff too...

The guber-bugers are pretty good only been once though... They moved a little south on 65. Across from the fairgrounds or close to there if I remember correctly.
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in Cinci and have relatives in StL. Count me in on that leg of the trip.
PFF
System Bot
DRWBRTq19

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in Jefferson City, and I hope to meet up in STL and at least do the Missouri leg, hopefully more.

I would definitely recommend a stop at Central Dairy, and its right off of 50.

Drew

[This message has been edited by DRWBRTq19 (edited 02-03-2009).]

thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, by June 2010 my car should be done (over a year away) and hopefully the wife isn't pregnant again by that time, lol. Count me in, and maybe I can get her interested enough to join us.

------------------
Hmmmmmmmmm.......now if I can just talk the Army out of an engine, I bet I can get it to fit hehehehehehe >

thefierofarm.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP--A--ROOO!!!!!

------------------
That Todd guy

The Fiero Farm is not officially open but if you need parts, Email me at todd@thefierofarm.com
www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I have spent much of the day working on when & where the tour is likely to stop for lodging. I'll make a new topic about it soon, but regarding Missouri, I have this question:

If we spend the night in Collinsville IL, east of St. Louis, and then spend time at Gateway International Raceway, the Arch, and Anheuser Busch, how far down the road are we likely to get before stopping again? Jefferson City? Sedalia?

And just what are the lodging options at those places?

jgrotzin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jgrotzinSend a Private Message to jgrotzinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's tons of places in Jeff... basically all the chains+ some... I think the Ramada near the capital is nice (not sure about that)?

There's also Columbia and there are tons of places here (30 mins north). I don't know about Sedalia, there's quite a few places but I dunno about condition. My guess is if it's nice there'll be people camping (?) that's most likely what I'll do (sometimes), and there's tons of those places too... I know this region well enough that we can find either a town with quality hotels or a good campsite in 30 mins...

Depending on how many people there are we might be able to settle up for dinner and camping or whatever in Rocheport on my parents property. But that'd be up to everyone.
thefierofarm.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sedalia has a bunch of hotels. It is where the Missouri State Fair is. As long as your not looking for a room is August there is always plenty.

I am not sure about time schedule. I would guess St. Louis to Sedalia is 3+ hours of road time. Can anyone confirm? I don't take HWY 50 when I go. It is about 2.5 hrs if I take I-70.

------------------
That Todd guy

www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

thefierofarm.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock