Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  I'm glad I don't have to worry about this stuff much anymore..

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I'm glad I don't have to worry about this stuff much anymore.. by maryjane
Started on: 05-05-2024 05:30 AM
Replies: 8 (154 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 05-07-2024 11:36 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
East Texas is flooded...again. My old place is under water, with near record river levels. Glad to be out of there, as Lake Livingston 2 days ago was releasing more water out it's floodgates than it did during Hurricane Harvey. My 2 sisters and nephews/nieces still live there but are on high ground and doing ok, but can't get into town easily, as still too many roads under water. I do have friends there, who have had several feet of water in their homes, and I do feel for them. My old property began just 45' off to the right of this picture.

This, is why ya don't drive thru high water. You never know what has happened under the surface of the water, no matter how well you know the road and I know that road extremely well. 2 days ago, photo taken by my old County Constable Sam Houston while manning a roadblock to keep morons from trying their luck. .

Earlier Saturday afternoon, the water had receded enough to see the blacktop and center stripe, revealing a washout about 14" deep and around 100' long. Asphalt and a good bit of the substrate is gone. Ya don't have to be a genius to figure out what would have happened if some local had tried to make it in his bubba truck 2 days ago.. Almost same spot as the above picture, just a little more light.

I got another 4" of rain here in Central Tx last night. Not sure how much we've gotten in the last 2 weeks but probably pushing 20" now. Every cell that came thru here, moved on over to East Texas.

The same river, crossing a different highway, about 10 river miles upstream from my old property.

Winter's Bayou 2 days ago, which is a tributary of the East Fork San Jacinto River, the same river which was my East property line. The bayou dumps into the river about 1/4 mile south of my old place.

(Not unusual to have waterways come up under clear blue skies when there has been lots of rain on the upper watershed, many miles away)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-05-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As soon as I heard "San Jacinto flooding" on the news, I thought of you.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

(Not unusual to have waterways come up under clear blue skies when there has been lots of rain on the upper watershed, many miles away)

I was camping in Utah one time not far from the Canyonlands. Very arid almost desert region. Some people about 100 yards away were camping down in a dry gorge. A big storm passed to the north of us but we got no rain. Soon they were flooded out and it came so fast they did not even get all there stuff out. We helped them but the water rose crazy fast.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you are out of there. I remember years ago you posting flooding on your property almost to the house. This seems really bad.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

East Texas is flooded...again. My old place is under water, with near record river levels. Glad to be out of there...

If you had any reservations at all about your move, this should confirm that you made an excellent decision!

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If you had any reservations at all about your move, this should confirm that you made an excellent decision!

Not really. I LIKE challenge. There's little to none to overcome here.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not really. I LIKE challenge. There's little to none to overcome here.

So you'd rather be dealing with a flooded out house? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My house, was built above any known flood level. The fences, the machinery etc as well as livestock were not.
I'm just not much on doing 'easy'. Never have been.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-06-2024).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So you'd rather be dealing with a flooded out house? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

This is true. Not too far from where my son lives is a strip of land close to the banks of a tributary to the Raritan river. At one time, I understand there were several homes on that strip. Now one remains. Storm Ida came along a few years ago and zap, that house's 1st floor was underwater. Can surmise that had occurred before & that's why the other houses were abandoned. You would think the remaining guy would have bugged out after Ida but no, soon after Ida the dumpsters arrived and reconstruction began. Now it looks nice again...waiting for the next Ida to come along . As you say...

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 05-07-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock