Started on: 05-04-2024 02:01 PM
Replies: 4 (66 views)
Last post by: BingB on 05-05-2024 10:23 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1) Nozzles
How do you know when it is time to replace a nozzle? I have had my printer for about six months and have printed maybe three or four kilos of PLA, TPU and PETG.
How many different thread sizes/lengths are there? I have an Ender 3 V3 SE. Is that a common nozzle tread/length? How do I know if a nozzle will fit?
How do I know I am not buying a cheap trash nozzle?

2) Is it safe to move the print head by hand?
I have heard some people say that moving the motor will create voltage that can damage the electronics. That makes sense to me. What precautions should I take?

Here is a picture, just 'cause I like it.

------------------
"Ain't no rest for the whiskers."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1) Nozzles are cheap. Even good quality nozzles. I've bought a whole bunch of them and I replace them as soon as I see an increase in print artifacts like stringing. The Ender 3 uses a standard thread size (M6) so most, if not all, should simply fit. I did see a difference in print quality with different nozzle heights however. I now use a nozzle height of 1/3" height (tip to base). Higher nozzles didn't give me the best results. As for which are good quality and which are bad, don't look at their prices. I've bought expensive nozzles that were complete and utter crap while the ones I'm using now are cheap and very good.

2) Yes, it is safe to move the head (and bed) by hand if you move them slowly. Moving anything will cause the steppers to generate a voltage. On my Ender 3 Max, that voltage is enough to light up its display so I always try to make sure I don't move anything too fast. If I move something from one end to the other, I'll take about 5 seconds. If I move it faster, then the display lights up.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

1) Nozzles are cheap. Even good quality nozzles. I've bought a whole bunch of them and I replace them as soon as I see an increase in print artifacts like stringing. The Ender 3 uses a standard thread size (M6) so most, if not all, should simply fit. I did see a difference in print quality with different nozzle heights however. I now use a nozzle height of 1/3" height (tip to base). Higher nozzles didn't give me the best results. As for which are good quality and which are bad, don't look at their prices. I've bought expensive nozzles that were complete and utter crap while the ones I'm using now are cheap and very good.

2) Yes, it is safe to move the head (and bed) by hand if you move them slowly. Moving anything will cause the steppers to generate a voltage. On my Ender 3 Max, that voltage is enough to light up its display so I always try to make sure I don't move anything too fast. If I move something from one end to the other, I'll take about 5 seconds. If I move it faster, then the display lights up.

Thank you very much!

I will swap out my first nozzle this afternoon and then order an assortment.

EDIT: I just swapped out my spare nozzle and realized that it is not the same as other ender 3 printers. The nozzle on the V3 SE has longer threads and is less common. Luckily, the printer included one spare.

I will probably buy these: https://www.amazon.com/KOYO...qv5prOGrQx1LeI8RAtw8
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That set should be fine Willie. You'll have a good assortment of sizes too.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got one of those new 4D printers, but I am not sure if am using it correctly.

Everything it prints is in the future so I have not seen them yet.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock