Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  F. Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore Collapsed!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
F. Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore Collapsed! by theogre
Started on: 03-26-2024 12:45 PM
Replies: 17 (307 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-02-2024 10:38 AM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A ship hit it. just web search for more.

While cars can use the I95 Tunnel, Many Private & Commercial vehicles Can't because of HAZMAT Banning like any w/ just 1 15-20# Propane bottle must use 495 695 & that bridge.
I'm told Nearest HAZMAT allowed bypass is Rt40 or Rt1 but are out of way or traffic is going to crawl for Years at "rush hour" & more times @ every crossing even for cars stuffing the Tunnel(s).

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-26-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw the video, thats crazy! There were construction workers and vehicles on it at the time....
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fib's bullsheet story, for all the suckers out there willing to slurp their spoonful of nasty.
Watching the video, the container ship was making more than ten knots, far beyond the speed limit, the throttle was opened full, the smoke from the funnel the evidence, the rudder was turned to change course into the bridge pylon deliberately, terrorism, same as 9.11.
Planes into towers, ships into bridges, trains, planes, automobiles.
' We're sorry, we don't know what happened, we made a mistake, Captain Edward Smith III was not at the helm, being reclined in his quarters, having been on a bender for the last few days, it was Achmed, the second mate, the Yemeni, a true believer, a prankster, always with the funny business. '
The purpose of the Fib's lie is to misinform the people, simply.
Nothing to see here, move along !
Concealing the truth from the citizens who pay for truth, a ripoff by ripoff artists, conmen, grifters, pickpockets, thieves.
Explain to me why the entire crew isn't in custody, being deprived of their constitutional rights, their Geneva rights, tortured during interrogation, to discover the truth.. ' this hot poker will have you singing matey ! '
' Osama Bin Laden ! We did it to harm America ! Death to America ! '
That would mean an undeclared war, again.
They did it to show how weak Biden_Joe is, obviously weak.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the footage you can see the ship lost power twice before hitting the bridge. There's no On/Off switch a terrorist could simply flick so that hints to a true problem. Also and more importantly, the captain sent out a mayday minutes before the boat hit, saving a lot of lives since they were able to stop most traffic in time. There were only a few cars still on the bridge which had no idea what was happening.

If it was a terrorist attack they would not have send out a mayday. Everything points to it being "just" a terrible accident.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. An accident. My guess would be an electrical problem or contaminated fuel.. I hate the loss of life and even if one was to survive the fall, hypothermia would set in within minutes in that cold cold water. The black smoke was probably the crew trying to light off the emergency generator. If the report I read earlier is correct, the captain or pilot ordered the anchor dropped but a ship of that tonnage wou;ld drag anchor for hundreds of yards. It won't take long for a salvage company or Navy to clear a passage for ships but as Ogre said, it's going to be a huge disruption of commuter traffic and for freight trucks going to and from the warehouses. Till the wreckage is cleared, it will mean disruption in supply chain for weeks, if not months to clear out just the backlog.

Terrorist wouldn't have chosen 1am when traffic was light on the bridge.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-27-2024).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many Bridges on the East Coast are "controlled" or Owned by Amy Corp of Engineers regardless who collects tolls or maintains upper sections & I'm betting they won't take long to clear the Channel by cutting large sections to move then cut more to scrape later. Or 1 crane to hold then cut parts off w/ hyrdo shears very fast like many tearing down a lot of buildings now.

Ground Traffic is another story & will have problems likely for years before get a new bridge. Many used 695 just to bypass Baltimore entirely.

As to protecting the bridge... Watch Video from NTSB a few hours ago... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgOHpZlxvc
Was basically Nothing there to protect. Unlike many others w/ huge blocks of concrete known as Dolphins & other terms, "islands" around supports, or in many areas Deep Draft ships simply Ground themselves moving out of the Channel because river etc is Dredged only for the Channel so very little or no extra protection needed on many Bridges. Example: For Decades ACofE was Fighting Delaware to Dredge DE River Channel from 40 to 45 feet deep so "Post Panama" & other Ships can get to Philly & Wilmington Ports & oil refineries. Outside of the Channel almost every large ship will Ground even before got the Deeper Channel. Shallow Draft items like many Barges can Ground easy in many parts of DE River along the Channel so they avoid traveling out of the deep channel too. Even then some DE River bridges & many others have Dolphins etc. to stop or deflect a ship.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Full throttle, steered directly into bridge !
' Rolling Coal, Ghost Mode ! Tee Hee ! Ha Ha ! LoL ! '
Fibs are telling you to disregard what you think you see, and trust them to be honest.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The black smoke didn't appear until after the first and during the second power outage and could have been that the pilot went full reverse to stop the ship and that would have put a tremendous load on the engines. Some of the videos were speeded up in order to show the full span from the time of the first power outage until the crash, thus making it appear that the ship was at full speed. But there will always be conspiracy theorists.

And now the liberal media is smearing Francis Scott Key because his family owned slaves.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-28-2024).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if there is something suspicious about this incident, but I 100% know for sure it is not terrorism.

"Terrorism" does not work if the victims do not know it is an act of terrorism. And as far as I know no terrorist groups have claimed responsibility.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:

I don't know if there is something suspicious about this incident, but I 100% know for sure it is not terrorism.

"Terrorism" does not work if the victims do not know it is an act of terrorism. And as far as I know no terrorist groups have claimed responsibility.

I would come closer (maybe) to believing an act of sabotage by a crew member that had personal reasons...harbored a grudge or just didn't want to go back to sea yet, but didn't want to actually jump ship and lose his job or standing within the maritime union...
Terrorism..false flag..a hard no.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-29-2024).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's true !
Half the people out there have to be told what to think, thinking being so painful, makes their brains endure high pitched humming sounds, causing headaches, the reason they take drugs for pain relief.
' Nothing to see here, move along, ' ' Really ! It's just a tragic accident ! How dare you speculate intentional sabotage of infrastructure by foreign conspiracy ! '
That couldn't possibly be true ! Never happened before, ever, like.
The concept of a navigation light switch is then impossible to contemplate, Lights on ! Lights off !
' That will make it look plausible ! Fake like. '
' How could a team take down the Golden Gate ? '
' You can't, you would need a Magnitude 9 Earthquake to knock it down ! '
' So, then all the other bridges and highways would be knocked down too ? '
' Yes ! '
' Do you propose any other targets that are vulnerable ? '
' There are hundreds of bridges, just sitting on their pedestals, waiting to be pushed off. '
Nefarious schemes of nasty plotters, plotting to damage America.
If you can't get your head wrapped around that, you should maybe enroll in a college course on reality, truth like, history mostly.
Vladimir Putin denies any involvement, denies revenge for gas pipeline bombing, categorically.
' Nyet ! We didn't do nothing like that ! We wouldn't do that ! That's just ridiculous ! '
' Bribe a ship's Captain with 500 million ? Naw.. that couldn't happen, we wouldn't do that ! '
' Make it look like an accident ! '
I'm so sorry, it was an accident !
JFK wasn't assassinated by LBJ, you can trust the fibs to tell you the truth.
' You could trust JE Hoover ! '
You would have to choose to believe them, openly lying to you, half of all you suckers.
' I repeat what I am told ! '

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll wait for some facts instead of childish rhetoric.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some people everything is a conspiracy.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

Half the people out there have to be told what to think, thinking being so painful, makes their brains endure high pitched humming sounds, causing headaches, the reason they take drugs for pain relief.

Must be something in the Toronto drinking water. Perhaps Lake Ontario has been filled with some mind-altering chemical. It might help explain why people back there still root for the Maple Laffs. OMG... I'm starting to sound like Valkrie himself!

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Men are from mars.
Women are from venus.
Conspiracy theories come from uranus.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we are downstream of the entire American Great Lakes Industrial sewer pipes, so there's that.
Our water supply is pumped from deep in Lake Ontario, to be filtered, swirled, chlorinated, tested, then consumed.
So, sure, nasty plotters could conceivably mess with the water supply, then bottled water would rise in price, buy Evian stock tomorrow !
Nasty plotting poisoners, mofos.
Erin Brockovitch
Water is important, right.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marine engineer..
So, it's true then, there is a plausible reason for the turn to starboard.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure I wholly buy the paddlewheel (prop walk) effect. A ship loaded as heavily as Dali was, sits way down in the water. The paddlewheel effect happens mostly on ships sitting high with the top of the prop barely under the water or even with the blade coming out of the water as it makes it's turns. I've seen that on empty tankers going up the Houston ship channel on their way to get a load at one of the refineries.
On a loaded ship, sitting low in the water, the paddlewheel effect from the bottom side rotation is almost equally offset by the reverse force as the other prop blade(s) rotate across on the top side of the revolution. (I think this ship's prop has 3 blades) The 2 (or 3 if 3 blade prop) forces offset each other...

I spent several years on a low rpm tugboat and by design and ballast, I never saw paddlewheel effect. I spent 2 years in the gator Navy and never saw it there either except maybe, in small craft, under 50' long that weren't loaded down.

Now, on a Navy LCU, or newer LCM you see it but only because they had flanking rudders. Flanking rudders allow the vessel to pretty much move sideways (crab) while keeping bow and stern aligned straight perpendicular to the shore or come up adjacent to a dock and just move sideways right alongside the dock and tie up.. The main rudder behind prop controls the bow and the flanking rudders control the stern.

This ship had no flanking rudder, but did have bow thruster which would be useless above 5 knots forward speed..

Meanwhile...

As expected, the ship's owners have filed legal requests invoking a many decades old claim to limit liability.

An excerpt from a Fortune news article follows:

"The owner and manager of a cargo ship that rammed into Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge before the span collapsed last week filed a court petition Monday seeking to limit their legal liability for the deadly disaster.

In a federal court filing on Monday, the ship’s owner Grace Ocean Private Limited and operator Synergy Marine PTE denied any fault or neglect over the collapse that claimed the lives of six construction workers.

“The [bridge collapse] was not due to any fault, neglect, or want of care on the part of [ship owner & operator], the Vessel, or any persons or entities for whose acts [ship owner & operator] may be responsible,” it reads.

The companies’ “limitation of liability” petition is a routine but important procedure for cases litigated under U.S. maritime law. A federal court in Maryland ultimately decides who is responsible — and how much they owe — for what could become one of the costliest catastrophes of its kind.

Singapore-based Grace Ocean Private Ltd. owns the Dali, the vessel that lost power before it slammed into the bridge early last Tuesday. Synergy Marine Pte Ltd., also based in Singapore, is the ship’s manager.

Their joint filing seeks to cap the companies’ liability at roughly $43.6 million. It estimates that the vessel itself is valued at up to $90 million and was owed over $1.1 million in income from freight. The estimate also deducts two major expenses: at least $28 million in repair costs and at least $19.5 million in salvage costs.

The companies filed under a pre-Civil War provision of an 1851 maritime law that allows them to seek to limit their liability to the value of the vessel’s remains after a casualty. It’s a mechanism that has been employed as a defense in many of the most notable maritime disasters, said James Mercante, a New York City-based attorney with over 30 years of experience in maritime law.

“This is the first step in the process,” Mercante said. “Now all claims must be filed in this proceeding.”

Cases like this typically take years to completely resolve, said Martin Davies, director of Tulane University Law School’s Maritime Law Center.

“Although it’s a humongous case with a very unusual set of circumstances, I don’t think it’s going to be that complicated in legal terms,” he said. “All aspects of the law are very clear here, so I think the thing that will take the time here is the facts. What exactly went wrong? What could have been done?”

A report from credit rating agency Morningstar DBRS predicts the bridge collapse could become the most expensive marine insured loss in history, surpassing the record of about $1.5 billion held by the 2012 shipwreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship off Italy. Morningstar DBRS estimates total insured losses for the Baltimore disaster could be $2 billion to $4 billion.

The wreckage closed the Port of Baltimore, a major shipping port, potentially costing the area’s economy hundreds of millions of dollars in lost labor income alone over the next month.

Experts say the cost to rebuild the collapsed bridge could be at least $400 million or as much as twice that, though much will depend on the new design.

The amount of money families can generally be awarded for wrongful death claims in maritime law cases is subject to several factors, including how much money the person would have likely provided in financial support to their family if they had not died.

Generally, wrongful death damages may also include things such as funeral expenses and the “loss of nurture,” which is essentially the monetary value assigned to whatever moral, spiritual or practical guidance the victim would have been able to provide to their children."

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-02-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock