Started on: 03-25-2024 07:07 AM
Replies: 25 (305 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-06-2024 08:57 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1997 BMW Z3 Roadster... runs great, 5-Speed manual. A few scuffs here and there (the wheels are a little galled up, but nothing that can't be polished out), and the front chin spoiler hit a parking stop (perfect, just paint is chipped). Has 120k miles on it (yeah, no big deal). Interior is perfect except for a small split in the seat between two upholstery panels. Top is in great shape, no leaks. No error codes.

$3,500

Now, I realize these cars have probably hit rock bottom for price / value... but I don't see these going down any further, and I honestly think they're probably going to go up in value. Question, what is your view on these cars? I think it would be something neat my daughter could work on when she's done with her Fiero, and my wife and I could drive it right now. I do recognize that cost is an issue for parts... but suspension stuff is pretty cheap, and there's a lot of good used parts on eBay.

Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My view is that Hitler would be happy to hear about it.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Because you need to buy this: https://www.hubbardautocent..._-used-11979952.html

Ugh, don't get me stared. In Fort Lauderdale, back in the late 1990s... I saw a bunch of vintage Porsches in the junkyard... including a couple of 356 models. These were real ones, not the rebodied ones. I distinctly remember... back in like.,.. 1998/1999... used cars like this were cheap as hell. You could get a Porsche 911, like one of the ones from the late 1960s, not particularly rare ones, usually for around $1,500 bucks. Usually not running well, if at all. But now a 68 Porsche 911 as a rust bucket will run you 40 grand, and a nice one is like over 100k. It's just insane.

I had a friend that had one of these (Beetle based). It's a company that made a bunch of them back in the day, really, really well done. It basically drove and sounded like a beetle, haha... but they were really nice.

I'm also considering a Porsche Boxster from this same era as this BMW (1997). Both of these cars, in my opinion, are at the lowest valued price point they'll ever get to. I see them only going up from here. Not that either one makes a good investment, but at least I know if I spend a little bit of money on one, I'm going to get the money back out of it.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A neighbor's son was buying cars at auction- "Cheap"- then fixing them up and selling them. He was very successful until he bought a Bummer (BMW)...That car cost him a lot in parts and such.

I had formulated a statement about buying luxury cars...."They are expensive (To buy) for the first 5-10 years of their existence...then they get cheap....Why?
Because parts and even certain operations are very expensive.....so stay away from "cheap" luxury cars!"

Years later, he was visiting his father and saw me and stated "You were right- I never touch those luxury cars for a "deal"!"

Another friend bought a 3 series- at one point he had to replace the battery; $150 for a quality battery and your done, right? Nope- you have to have Bummer-tech use a special device to tell the computer what kind of battery you installed; $370 fee!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest, I'd rather see you get the Porsche. They are easier to work on and the body kits are amazing if you are into that type of modification.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize that this is completely off-topic... except for the fact that a BMW Z3 was involved. From nine years ago...

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

To those that favor turbochargers...

This past weekend I had the opportunity to drive a friend's ultra-expensive track prepared turbocharged 1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe at an autocross event. The engine in this car is supposed to be putting out 500 HP or so.

When the turbo kicks in... it's exhilarating. However...

The car and engine have been set up for high speed track use. The huge turbo on this engine doesn't do anything until 4000 RPM. It was frustrating as hell at autocross this past weekend as I'd be putting the pedal to the floor and screaming at the engine to do something! I'd be waiting up to two seconds for the power to arrive. Simply wasn't suitable for autocross.

I'm just mentioning this as it was my first experience driving a turbo-equipped car, and it was a little disappointing. Turbo size is obviously critical for a car used on the street and/or at autocross.

I can add that once I bought my '98 JDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi, my opinion of driving a turbo-equipped car completely changed. The correct size turbo in this Subie turns its engine into a quick revving 8K RPM monster.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-29-2024).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BMW =
Bring More Wampum
Big Money Wasted

Please feel free to continue.

(Todd... you knew it was gonna happen. )

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-25-2024).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I started school for the 3rd time...
This was one of my goals. I "settled" for a Fiero. In the long run the BMW would have cost less.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something about those Z3's remind me of Jimmy Durante. I don't know why.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-27-2024).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want to buy a:

26 year old

German car with

120,000 miles on it.

You'll love it til you hate it. The guys I worked with a while ago all got used BMW's within one or two years of each other. Parking lot looked like a BMW owner's club meeting.

Two years later, they were ALL gone. "Can't afford the maintenance." But, boy, they were fun. Until they weren't.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope you buy it and have many trouble free miles.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Something about those Z3's remind me of Jimmy Durante. I don't know why.

The Z3 Coupes are... different, but I wouldn't say I hate them. Perhaps it's an acquired taste.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-29-2024).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
both the clown cars [coupe] and the roadsters just a standard BWM 6
SO A NEW MOTOR IS COMMON AND EAZY
just a junkyard away

911 PRICES ARE INSANE
SO ARE ALL THE PARTS FOR THEM
20K MOTOR REBUILDS ARE COMMON
if you can find a core to rebuild for an old air cooled 911
box cars are not much less to rebuild with D-chunks and mid shaft failures
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

both the clown cars [coupe] and the roadsters just a standard BWM 6
SO A NEW MOTOR IS COMMON AND EAZY
just a junkyard away

911 PRICES ARE INSANE
SO ARE ALL THE PARTS FOR THEM
20K MOTOR REBUILDS ARE COMMON
if you can find a core to rebuild for an old air cooled 911
box cars are not much less to rebuild with D-chunks and mid shaft failures

Yeah, I'm definitely not so into the coupe. I think it's a little odd looking. I do really like the roadster though. Man... it kills me. I looked at it on Friday, and it was a 2.8 L6, along with the 5-Speed Getrag as well. It did have the issue with the trunk frame separating, and all the spot welds breaking. I can fix that... but ultimately, I'm going to pass. I realized... I have another Fiero in a storage unit, as well as a Volkswagen Bus. It doesn't make sense for me to get yet ANOTHER car when I should be fixing one of these. I watched a couple of videos of people driving Fieros... stock ones with the V6 sound, and I was like.. maaaan...

So I'm going to get on my daughter so she can finish up her damned car so I can get my car in there.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have 2 BMW's, both are my wife's vehicles. Some years ago eh 2017 maybe she wanted a change and latched on to a CPO 2015 535ix M sport w/ ~ 27K on the clock, a lease return. Have to admit, that one has been pretty good. She was putting significant highway miles on it with minimum trouble. She wanted to move to an SUV so we did the same deal with an X3 and the 535 became a garage queen & it's still lovely. The X3 has about 115K now but not as trouble free as the 535. Several high buck repairs and it blows through expensive tires pretty quick so when we replace it, we'll probably move back to maybe a Buick or something else. As they say- BMW's & Audi's: "Great cars till they break"

------------------
1965 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2017 BMW X3 3.0 T
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe 220K miles
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous 235K miles

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 04-02-2024).]

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because you should buy this instead.
Feast your eyes on this baby. It’s what I call the BMW Z3 of Rat Rods.
Personally, I’m digging the piston coming up through the trunk lid look. 😊
Kit
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

A saw blade running across the top of the windshield? How is that car even allowed to be licensed and driven on public roads?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

A saw blade running across the top of the windshield? How is that car even allowed to be licensed and driven on public roads?

You could definitely get away with that in Florida, but I am surprised that California is allowing it.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate rat rods, rat bikes, ratted hair and ratatouille. But the Merc tail lights are cool.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

You could definitely get away with that in Florida, but I am surprised that California is allowing it.

Fixed (in place) hood ornaments were prohibited in most (all?) jurisdictions years ago due to safety regulations regarding pedestrians. Not only does that car have a saw blade across the entire width of the windshield, but it's also got several metal gears mounted up front as well. It's like the creator of this monstrosity hopes to shred a few pedestrians and/or cyclists.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2024 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fixed (in place) hood ornaments were prohibited in most (all?) jurisdictions years ago due to safety regulations regarding pedestrians. Not only does that car have a saw blade across the entire width of the windshield, but it's also got several metal gears mounted up front as well. It's like the creator of this monstrosity hopes to shred a few pedestrians and/or cyclists.

I think you're talking about the U.S., but if not... it's the same here. But I think the significant difference is... the Federal government banned COMPANIES from producing cars that had such things (like fixed ornaments, etc.). So, you couldn't buy a car like that from the factory. But this is a regulation from the NHTSA that regulates the manufacturing and design of cars. It does not restrict individuals from effectively doing silly things to their own cars. The Federal government has made it "federally" illegal to tamper with emissions equipment.

Generally, for things like this, it comes down to local state laws which either enforce or do not enforce certain rules. To a great extent, a local police officer isn't going to enforce a Federal law against a local state citizen in cases where there isn't also a state law. The obvious of course is anything that's a felony. The Federal government doesn't really have an enforcement mechanism to ensure that every Fiero has a catalytic converter (for example).

To a small degree, this is part of what makes us "free" is that, even though there's 100s of laws we likely accidentally break in a given year and don't even know it, there's no one enforcing them, as state law enforcement generally follow a "do no harm" principle as it relates to Federal crimes for which they could otherwise care less.
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend that is pro-BMW, but he also says he will never own one that is not under warranty...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...as state law enforcement generally follow a "do no harm" principle as it relates to Federal crimes for which they could otherwise care less.

That's just it though... those type of modifications to a vehicle could do a whole lot of "harm" if a pedestrian was struck. I'd think that the owner/driver of that vehicle would get their ass sued off if it could be determined that these mods caused grievous harm to anyone.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's just it though... those type of modifications to a vehicle could do a whole lot of "harm" if a pedestrian was struck. I'd think that the owner/driver of that vehicle would get their ass sued off if it could be determined that these mods caused grievous harm to anyone.

That is true... and I doubt liability insurance would cover it either...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and I doubt liability insurance would cover it either

You just know that insurance companies would be seeking any reason not to pay out.

"So you're telling us that a five foot long cross-cut saw you mounted on your windshield sliced up Grandma Jones? Looks like you totally invalidated your insurance coverage with us, Bucko."
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You just know that insurance companies would be seeking any reason not to pay out.

"So you're telling us that a five foot long cross-cut saw you mounted on your windshield sliced up Grandma Jones? Looks like you totally invalidated your insurance coverage with us, Bucko."

Haha... yes... not laughing about Grandma, but true... this is exactly what would happen.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock