Started on: 02-28-2024 10:12 AM
Replies: 14 (237 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-27-2024 09:39 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my latest issue of This Old House Magazine... but piece of paperboard stuck to the front stating...

DESPITE OUR BEST EFFORTS, THIS IS THE LAST PRINT EDITION OF THIS OLD HOUSE MAGAZINE, WE WERE UNABLE TO MAKE THE MAGAZINE SELF-SUSTAINING GOING FORWARD.

I realize stuff in print is difficult, and it's probably better for the environment... but man, they aren't even producing a "digital" magazine. It's just gone. They'll just periodically add articles to their website (which I've never really been to except to pay for my membership). They did this to Forbes also...

First 9/11, then Speed Vision, and now This Old House...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The list of things disappearing is exponentially growing. Brick and Mortar establishments, Media companies. Hardware.

If you like something, buy a few of 'em.

Part of it is "progress", and I've been feeling more and more like Abe every day!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes- everyone "prefers" to stare at their schmart phone all day long.......My favorite mag was Earth Magazine- about geology.....They shut down back in 2019. What really fried-my-fritters was that they had a thing called "Where on Earth?" where they would show a pic of a geological feature, and then you would try to guess where/what it was....I had taken a pic of the Abert Rim on my way up to eastern OR to see the eclipse....The editor was impressed with the pic and was planning on using it....

The Abert rim is the longest exposed fault scarp....Over 30 miles long and up to 2500' high....

At the base to the right you can spot Highway 395.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 02-28-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

The list of things disappearing is exponentially growing. Brick and Mortar establishments, Media companies. Hardware.

If you like something, buy a few of 'em.

Yeah, I'm definitely sad. It seemed very sudden... matter of fact, their magazine doesn't even make a mention of it at all. It's like they had absolutely no idea it was coming, and it was an afterthought. This concerns me to the extent that I'm worried that the This Old House franchise is itself going away.

I'm a pretty secure person... meaning that, I understand my place in life. But I jokingly added 9/11 to the thing above because growing up... I had a real stable household. At 22 or whatever I was during 9/11... everything I'd had growing up was readily available as an adult. Nothing had changed... I might change... I moved 1,400 miles away from home, but everything still stayed the same. My reference point of course is not much... you go from high school to 22... that's like... what, 5 years? Nothing.

But 9/11 was a shock to me because I realized that things don't always stay the same. Even our country is fragile and can change in an instant.

So things like... Speed Vision, or This Old House, no matter how accustomed you get to them... they can just up and disappear from one day to the next.

I grew up watching This Old House with my dad... every Sunday, he'd have it on PBS and we'd see what new project Bob Villa was working on, and then Dave Thomas. Now... I watch it on Roku, but I also have the subscription, so I can watch them whenever I want... but half the crew is gone because they're old as **** now, haha... and their kids have taken over... which I'm OK with. But I do worry that the entire franchise is having a hard time competing in today's market where every Dick and Jane has a YouTube channel...

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22765 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Yes- everyone "prefers" to stare at their schmart phone all day long.......My favorite mag was Earth Magazine- about geology.....They shut down back in 2019. What really fried-my-fritters was that they had a thing called "Where on Earth?" where they would show a pic of a geological feature, and then you would try to guess where/what it was....I had taken a pic of the Abert Rim on my way up to eastern OR to see the eclipse....The editor was impressed with the pic and was planning on using it....

The Abert rim is the longest exposed fault scarp....Over 30 miles long and up to 2500' high....

At the base to the right you can spot Highway 395.

That is an AWESOME picture... really, really nice.

I have a cell phone, but i make my wife pay for it because I hate cell phones. I told her, if you want me to have one, you have to pay for it. But I really yearn for the days when I was much younger... in my Fiero, where I could drive wherever I wanted, and didn't even think about the fact that I hadn't changed my oil in over a year. No cell phone, work couldn't bug me... I was truly "free."

Granted, I love my family, and I don't want to escape from them... but I liked the freedom of not being "digitally attached." My daughter loves her phone, she's always on it. But she doesn't know the freedom I've felt. For her to not have her phone is like a punishment.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When was the last time any of us went to a library?

Here we are visiting my childhood library last fall.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 02-28-2024).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And yet, look back, at the comments some of the same ones in this thread, made some year's ago...welcoming this 'new age'...even working hard to enable it. Be careful what you wish for.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Here we are visiting my childhood library last fall.

I just went last week. And I was happy to find that they have INCREASED services! Now I can get books from all over San Diego county delivered and held at a branch near me, for FREE.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stack of books I need to carry down to our local library. Some, like the extra Win 11 for dummies and office 365 that Amazon erroneously sent but didn't want returned are brand new.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think public libraries have had to reinvent themselves. Physical books for many people will still always be a thing, though I do suspect at some point they'll go the way of tablets.

We go to our public library maybe once every couple of months, and it's usually got quite a few people in it when we go. They also have a used book store there (which helps fund them getting new books), and they also use it as a type of community center in the back, which is also where my polling location is. They also have research computers (which will probably be less useful as time goes on), but that's at least my observation. I like going to them...

I'm just glad I no longer have to use the card catalog system... haha...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SHHHH you! No talking!
The Dewey Decimal System is still alive and well at our local library. Cards and all, tho they also have it digital at a little kiosk type terminal.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-25-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I think it was, ummm... three days ago!

Libraries are now more than just books. On a semi-regular basis I borrow DVDs and Blu-ray discs. (Everything is cataloged and available to browse online.) I also discovered that the central branch has facilities for recording music or shooting video and/or digitizing audio, video, as well as film. All for free. It's pretty amazing actually.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-25-2024).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I go as often as I can... \\\
The world is currently caving in
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend teaches a Crochet class in our local library. She also does private tutoring for those that want a one on one class.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Just got my latest issue of This Old House Magazine... but piece of paperboard stuck to the front stating...

DESPITE OUR BEST EFFORTS, THIS IS THE LAST PRINT EDITION OF THIS OLD HOUSE MAGAZINE, WE WERE UNABLE TO MAKE THE MAGAZINE SELF-SUSTAINING GOING FORWARD.

I realize stuff in print is difficult, and it's probably better for the environment... but man, they aren't even producing a "digital" magazine. It's just gone. They'll just periodically add articles to their website (which I've never really been to except to pay for my membership). They did this to Forbes also...

First 9/11, then Speed Vision, and now This Old House...
Many people stopped watch the Show before PBS etc Fired the host that shilled for Sears and others. Yet PBS is still flogging that dead horse likely trying to claim is not a bias org & hoping to get new sucker believe PBS cares...
In turn numbers for the Mag dropped until can't sell Ad Space that makes most money for print media. And who Really Owns that rag that seen the money dropping? Not PBS & likely not "This Old House Ventures, LLC." either. Most LLC in media are shells & vast part on money made goes to real owners.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock