Started on: 02-22-2024 11:57 PM
Replies: 20 (283 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 03-01-2024 08:02 PM
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2024 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...don't judge me.

Just having a few drinks and watching Days of Thunder and wondering WTF happened to the world of automobiles. I'll return with Petuxanny Phil for the rest of winter.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2024 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Winter is over.

1985 Fiero GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2024 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Winter is over.

Not for everybody, that snow is what's left after a week of melting! Next week gets cold again!

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2024 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Winter did provide me with a break in mowing. The last mowing of 2023 was in mid-December, mowing started again the first week of February. Was a longer and cooler winter than we normally experience. Now, just waiting for the pollen to start floating in the air. I really hate "Pollen Season" but mowing beats the hell out of shoveling snow.

Rams
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2024 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't realize that Hattiesburg was "warmer"(?) than west-central GA.
Our bermuda grass is starting to show little bits of green. Enough to give the yard, as a whole, a bit of a yellow-green tint. The areas with fescue are going nuts.
The purple dead-nettle and other weeds are, of course, running rampant. Needed mowed two days ago. Probably this week.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-24-2024).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2024 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I didn't realize that Hattiesburg was "warmer"(?) than west-central GA.
Our bermuda grass is starting to show little bits of green. Enough to give the yard, as a whole, a bit of a yellow-green tint. The areas with fescue are going nuts.
The purple dead-nettle and other weeds are, of course, running rampant. Needed mowed two days ago. Probably this week.

If you have nettle, you probably have a lot of dock and henbit too. (like curly dock) Dock are weeds that resemble nettle.
Pretty easy to control kill if you use the right stuff and do it before they bolt. (bolt happens when a plant gets too warm suddenly and prematurely begins the reproductive stage--blooms and seeds) The henbit will die off if you mow it but will be back like gangbusters next fall and spring. It annoys me some ...but not as much as it hates me. where Don goes, nothin grows..
Otherwise, use a pre-emergent...now!

Something with Quinclorac works pretty good without harming most grasses.

Fescue. Beware of fescue toxicity if you have livestock or dogs. Do not allow it to go to seed! Fungal endophytes-ergot alkaloids.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-24-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2024 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll keep my mouth shut about the perfect 60-70 degree weather we've had the past 2 months with sunshine down here in Florida... I mean, I'll try my best to not talk about the fact that I also don't have to mow my lawn but once a month in the Winter, and it still looks green. But just ignore all of that...

Yeah... I like EVs, but I've been less and less enthused about things like Formula-1 and stuff since the engines keep getting smaller. Every time I go back and look at the early to mid 2000s when they still had V10s... the sound was just unbelievable. I went to two F1 races when they were in Indianapolis... and "feeling" the car is as much a part of the race as the win.

My opinion... the "tech" required to make a gas powered car go fast is much more sophisticated than the "tech" required to make an electric-motor car go fast.

Perhaps it's a lot like comparing a mechanical watch movement to a Quartz watch movement. Sure... the quartz watch is probably better at telling time (let's be honest), but there's just something about the mechanical watch that's intrinsically more sophisticated. Haha...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2024 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember the uproar over Granatelli's Indy 500 turbine car ("whooshmobile") Parnelli Jones drove? 'Almost won' .
You may be too young to remember it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Remember the uproar over Granatelli's Indy 500 turbine car ("whooshmobile") Parnelli Jones drove?

I seem to remember that everyone was chapped about it. Didn't run too many races before it was outlawed. Or "classed" out of existence.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40728 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Fescue. Beware of fescue toxicity if you have livestock or dogs. Do not allow it to go to seed! Fungal endophytes-ergot alkaloids.

Thanks for that. I've never heard that. And we have sheep that graze all over the place - even the lawn, when we let them.
And the cows have been here, literally for decades. Tam's parents kept them when they were still around.

I guess it's fescue. It slowed way down, but never really went dormant like the bermuda did. Grows fast as hell in the summer.
But I'll look into what you posted. Thanks again.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw the turbine car run at Indy.
The tires on the pavement made more noise than the car (not really, but it sure didn't sound like the Offys)
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, if they turn EV, in my opinion, why go to the race? The pure sound & feel of a line of NASCAR stockers starting up & racing is part of the appeal , no? Heck, years ago in Flemington, it was great to hear the dirt track guys race on a Saturday night, especially the modifieds, from my home in the borough.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Sorry, if they turn EV, in my opinion, why go to the race? The pure sound & feel of a line of NASCAR stockers starting up & racing is part of the appeal , no? Heck, years ago in Flemington, it was great to hear the dirt track guys race on a Saturday night, especially the modifieds, from my home in the borough.

And, who doesn't miss the old radio commercials for the other type venue................

Saturday..SATURDAY NIGHT! Top Fuel Dragsters and NITROMETHANE burning funny cars!! SATURDAY! Kids get in free, gates open at 11...

[youtube]https://youtube/96_PXc9NA5w?t=1301[/youtube]
https://youtube/96_PXc9NA5w?t=1365

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-27-2024).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was 12 years old when the Indy turbine first ran and I thought it was very cool, but my perspective on racing changed over the next few years, in part because we moved to Daytona (Ormond Beach) in the spring of '67.

Now, this stodgy old fool would call it a most fowl form of sacrilege.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Sorry, if they turn EV, in my opinion, why go to the race? The pure sound & feel of a line of NASCAR stockers starting up & racing is part of the appeal , no?

Agree 100%.

A few years ago when EVs first started to appear at autocross, it was amazingly boring to watch the EVs navigate the course. With no sound of an accelerating/deaccelerating internal combustion engine to accompany the action, it was a total non-event with each EV.

Heck, one of the reasons why I bought a Subie STi to use at autocross was for the glorious noise its flat-four turbo engine makes with an aftermarket exhaust system.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of like driving a sports car with an automatic transmission- part of the fun of driving on windy roads is shifting the transmission...you become "One with the machine"....The new all electric cars with a computer watching over your every move is like playing a video game....

Back in 2017 the GGF club went on their Coast Run down on SoCal coast...Highway one was closed due to a very large landslide so instead of a nice drive up that windy road, we instead went to the Estrella Air Museum in Paso Robles....Being ex-Navy and an aircraft nut I walked around the aircraft telling some of the club members interesting stuff- but it was very hot so I went into a building to cool off....and came face-to-fender with a 300 SL Gullwing...turning, I spotted a 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen...Then saw a Allard, etc...walked down the isle (Cars, engines, etc) and at the end of the hall was looking at a BMW Isetta- and then the curator/guide tapped me on the shoulder and stated "We are closing now" (I did not fall on the floor and start screaming but it was close.

We went back for a full tour in 2018- and I spotted the car that (to me) is the best car in the museum; A 1957 Ford Fairlane STOCKcar......found in a field- not restored- floor rusted out, mud, etc. Driven by Al Tasnady.....To me, this was when stock-car racing was REAL- about STOCK cars, and the driver's skill...

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2024 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And, who doesn't miss the old radio commercials for the other type venue................

Saturday..SATURDAY NIGHT! Top Fuel Dragsters and NITROMETHANE burning funny cars!! SATURDAY! Kids get in free, gates open at 11...

And "FIREY SMOKEY BURNOUTS!"
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2024 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Heck, one of the reasons why I bought a Subie STi to use at autocross was for the glorious noise its flat-four turbo engine makes with an aftermarket exhaust system.

Guy across the street from me (before we moved) had a BRZ, which is also a flat-four.
Since he worked in a Subaru service department, he was always doing something to it.
The last mod (not too long before he bought his STi) made it sound just like - no kidding - a hotrodded VW bug.
I'm pretty sure that's not the sound he was after.

I hope yours sounds better than that.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-29-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2024 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The last mod (not too long before he bought his STi) made it sound just like - no kidding - a hotrodded VW bug. I'm pretty sure that's not the sound he was after.

I hope yours sounds better than that.

An engine just idling and revving a bit isn't really a fair representation of how good an engine sounds under load, but this is what my turbo Subie sounds like (with an aftermarket exhaust). Doesn't sound like a VW bug to me, but I'm probably a little biased. Crank up your volume. Listen for the siren going through your room!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-29-2024).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2024 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock