Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Baby Armadillo... should I do anything? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Baby Armadillo... should I do anything? by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 05-11-2023 10:35 AM
Replies: 57 (664 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-20-2023 04:08 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2023 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I didn't even realize it was weird.

Well, it seems weird only because I've never seen one out in the open like that before. They're always right beside the house here, just before the gas line enters the house. The electricity meter (usually called the hydro meter here) is normally in the vicinity as well.
IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2023 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Well, it seems weird only because I've never seen one out in the open like that before. They're always right beside the house here, just before the gas line enters the house. The electricity meter (usually called the hydro meter here) is normally in the vicinity as well.

Water and gas meters.; Usually, in the southern USA, are near the property line, but not always. In subdivisions they are often near the structure (house) but in larger 'normal' neighborhoods, they are out close to the road or other property line.

I spent years 1-6 in a small town (then) of Channelview Tx.

My one of my few memories of that home and yard was the hissing sound and smell that came after I smashed the gas meter with a claw hammer.

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2023 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
... I smashed the gas meter with a claw hammer.

C'mon. There is a story there, .

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2023 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there is, I don't remember it..just the results of it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2023 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Water and gas meters.; Usually, in the southern USA, are near the property line, but not always. In subdivisions they are often near the structure (house) but in larger 'normal' neighborhoods, they are out close to the road or other property line.

It actually makes more sense for meters to be outside of the yard. No need then to need to allow meter readers access to the property.

The hydro (electricity) meters here are now "online", and no longer require anyone to take a visual reading off of them.

Years ago I owned a duplex, and the water meter was out by the front sidewalk. Single family dwellings here don't require/have a water meter.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2023 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It actually makes more sense for meters to be outside of the yard. No need then to need to allow meter readers access to the property.

Placed at or near the property line, it probably was outside or at the edge of the yard and accessible until that privacy fence was built.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-07-2023).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2023 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My trapping skills are top notch. Naked and Alone here I come.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2023 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My trapping skills are top notch.

Dinner!

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2023 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how much that counts in regards to being a trapper.
You trapped domesticated poultry...inside a fenced-in yard.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2023 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure how much that counts in regards to being a trapper.
You trapped domesticated poultry...inside a fenced-in yard.

Yeah. They're not smart.

I set my trap properly last night. When I came in at 0500 it was triggered. It looked like a huge one.

It was actually 2. VERY large rats filed mice? Little graphic.

I didn't much like killing something I wasn't eating. Must be getting old.

My house backs up to about 5 acres and it has rained a lot. Pretty sure that's what got my much smaller chickens.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2023 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Caught a second bush tit today. When I was younger, a pair of tits seemed much more tantalizing.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2023 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Caught a second bush tit today. When I was younger, a pair of tits seemed much more tantalizing.

I don't know man. I don't think I like then bushy.

Tensing the meters. They are close to my back property line. This is a rental, but it is like that on my other houses.

This one has my elect meter on the front of the house and no external garage door.

I for real thought you were messing about calling that a "hydro"

Sorry for why typos. My Dane and I broke my phone screen and I refuse to fix it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2023 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I for real thought you were messing about calling that a "hydro"

No, wasn't kidding at all.

By far, most of the power generated in this province is provided by huge hydroelectric dams... so electricity meters here have almost always been referred to as hydro meters, electric bills as hydro bills, etc.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-16-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2023 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Caught a second bush tit today.

Caught another bush tit today. I'm glad I've been releasing them as I catch them, 'cause dealing with three tits at once might've proven awkward.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-17-2023).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2023 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's that gas meter again!

This got me noticing...

My rental has 3 stupid eyesores.

This "hydro" meter attached to the front...

My best friends house has at least 1.

I just mow and don't weed eat at my rental and do my neighbors too, they are a hassle to go around, but it is so common around here and I never even thought anything of it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2023 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This got me noticing... My rental has 3 stupid eyesores.

What's in those metal boxes? I've never seen anything like that before.

The hydro meter is at least mounted in the "usual" location... but again there is still a difference from how it's done here. In this rather poor quality image of my neighbor's house (zoomed in Google Street View), notice how the hydro wires are all hidden. The only wires evident are the phone and cable wires.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2023 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's in those metal boxes? I've never seen anything like that before.

Hard to judge their size, but they look like cable/phone line boxes but they may be powerline (hydro) transformers.
(On the other hand, he did say "3 eyesores" and then posted a photo that had 3 chickens in it... )

Ls3Mach, I see I'm not the only one that has to deal with retaining walls made of old rail road cross ties. They are a pita to mow next to. One mis-step, and over I would go and that would not end well...

(my house and yard is on the left. Pictures are from last summer which was deep drought. We just moved in June 2 last year, so Google Earth must have taken the picture immediately afterwards. My wife's black car is in the driveway)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-20-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2023 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(On the other hand, he did say "3 eyesores" and then posted a photo that had 3 chickens in it... )

I count four chickens... so I think he is indeed referring to the metal objects.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-20-2023).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock