Started on: 01-26-2023 01:59 AM
Replies: 4 (205 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-26-2023 06:06 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blast from the past! A trip down memory lane for some of us dinosaurs.

1961 NHRA US Nationals (Video unfortunately can't be embedded here.)

I was intrigued by the blower setup on the car at 12:04. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? It looks like a supercharger is mounted in front of two side-by-side Chevy small-block V8s!

[EDIT] Ah ha... I used my google skillz to track that car down. Great article Here about the guys that built that dragster (and many others). Here's a photo of the car (and the fellas) taken many years later!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-26-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I was intrigued by the blower setup on the car at 12:04. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? It looks like a blower is mounted in front of twin V8 engines!

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Front mounted blowers were common in the 1950s. A major supplier of kits was Potvin. There were three major advantages and two important disadvantages. The Potvin blowers provided better visibility and less aerodynamic drag, particularly for land speed record cars, and there was less power loss than a belt driven blower. However, the long runners created problems with fuel atomization, and changing drive ratios (and therefore manifold pressure) was not as easy as on a belt drive.

Twin engine dragsters were not uncommon in the late '50s and '60s, but when purpose built engines such as Donovan and Keith Black became common, there was no longer a need.

I think that particular picture is Dode Martin, worth looking up if you want to learn about early drag racing history.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19461 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I think that particular picture is Dode Martin, worth looking up if you want to learn about early drag racing history.

Willie, you must've posted while I was editing and updating my opening post. Jim Nelson and Dode Martin were really talented guys!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36403 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by williegoat:

Twin engine dragsters were not uncommon in the late '50s and '60s...

The very first model car I ever assembled as a kid (probably around 1965) was Tommy Ivo's four-engine dragster. His car actually makes an appearance going down the track at 16:47 in the video linked to in my opening post.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock