Started on: 01-16-2023 11:13 AM
Replies: 24 (449 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-09-2023 01:24 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gina Lollobrigida, Italian Bombshell Movie Star, Dies at 95

If you have never seen "Beat the Devil", it is a fun movie.

------------------
Let's go Brandon!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a very unforgettable experience with Ms. Lollobrigida in early 1971, but not directly with the actress.
Lam Son 719. Among the LZs and Fire support bases in that disaster of an assault into Laos, 4 were named after movie celebrities. LZ Sophia East and Sophia West (which we called Sophia 1 and 2 at the time). Sophia Lauren.
LZ Hope was the final objective of Tchepone. Bob Hope.
Lz Liz was named for Liz Taylor.
And lastly, LZ Lolo. Lollobrigida

LZ Hope

I think this was Sophia1 (east)

The arty was abandoned by the S.Vietnamese forces when that LZ was over run.

Lolo:

Sophia and Lollo were absolute hell holes. The first time I flew into Lolo, there were already 2 helicoptrs down in the lz, the 2nd time there were 2 more and the last time we went in, there were 5 shot down altogether. The nva arty and mg fire just came in continuously and LZ Sophia 2 was just as bad but I think lost only 1 helo there. Lz Hope was actually outside of Tchepone a little ways and that's the only time I ever saw Russian made tanks.
All this, mostly lost to history and one of those 'you woulda had to been there' things..a blip and gone from the radar compared to ai and robots and printers and electric scooters and cars etc.

RIP Ms Lollobrigida..

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-17-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

All this, mostly lost to history and one of those 'you woulda had to been there things'..a blip and gone from the radar compared to ai and robots and printers and electric scooters and cars etc.

Don't ever think your contribution is not appreciated. It will not be forgotten.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2023 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Don't ever think your contribution is not appreciated. It will not be forgotten.

X2
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2023 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dub
del

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 01-20-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2023 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1475 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Glamorous beauty of my childhood.

When I became interested in the late '50s.

An admirer's comprehensive collection.

How I remember her in her early movies, at the Roxy Theater.
Great memories, that I had forgotten, a nostalgic interlude, will watch one of her movies, again.
'59 Ford.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2023 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The photo that inspired the naming of the hills.
'54
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2023 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sophia, Everest and K2

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2023 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sophia Loren had a sister named Maria. Pretty nice looking herself. Was married for a time to the son of Ital's Benito Mussolini.
There is a fairly hot picture of the 2 sisters kissing, staged & campy.

May have slipped her a little tongue there.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-21-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2023 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Gun of Navarone.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2023 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

The Gun of Navarone.

of Avila.

That city's wall stands yet.

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2023 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

of Avila.

That city's wall stands yet.

I knew I had seen the movie, I just couldn't remember the name. I had to look it up.

"The Pride and the Passion"

Not really my kind of movie, but I remember there were some funny moments.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2023 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A great movie and at least they had a true British actor (Archibald Leach) to play the Brit naval officer..aka Cary Grant.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A classic film I hadn't seen.
Sophie's entrance scene was... pert, interpreting classified naval letters.
Avila, Spain
A few hundred years of building walls, withstanding the malevolent intent of the horde without, the siege.
A travel destination for those interested in the history of war, war for all time.

There in Spain, you may meet by chance Gina Lollobrigida's double, descended from the Roman Legio IX Hispana, bound for Albion.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sophie's entrance scene was... pert, interpreting classified naval letters.

Been a lot of years since I watched the movie but IIRC, they were found crated up, in the back of a shed, behind a fancy green open-top ox cart....

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-23-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Summer Print Dress 1955, Kodak Tri-x, long telephoto lens.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Summer Print Dress 1955, Kodak Tri-x, long telephoto lens.

I'm pretty sure Tri-X was Black & White film.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19450 posts
Member since Mar 2009
I would guess 80-100mm focal length and big (small number) aperture.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

' A woman at twenty is like ice, at thirty she is warm and at forty she is hot. '

Yep, looked it up, sure enough, I was wrong.
Tri-x was bw.

Likely one or the other of these.
EASTMAN Color Internegative film, 5245. False sensitized. Replaced 5243. Discontinued in 1956.
EASTMAN Color Print film, 5382. Replaced 5381. Better definition. 7382 replaced by 7383 in 1961. 5382 replaced by 5385 in 1966.
History of Film from 1889 to present
Learn something new every day.

As one of the most photographed actress' from the '50s, It is certain that all the films were used, by all of the cameramen.

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 01-23-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2023 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I would guess 80-100mm focal length and big (small number) aperture.

Which aperture you talking about?

Aperture Definition & Meaning - Dictionary.comhttps://www.dictionary.com › browse › aperture
Aperture definition, an opening, as a hole, slit, crack, gap, etc. See more.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-24-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2023 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which aperture you talking about?

Aperture Definition & Meaning - Dictionary.comhttps://www.dictionary.com › browse › aperture
Aperture definition, an opening, as a hole, slit, crack, gap, etc. See more.

I'll never tell.

I'm thinking that Valk9 got his info mixed up. Gina Lollobrigida was an avid photographer and often shot 35mm black & white, sometimes with a long lens. She also shot medium format.

A portrait like the one in question is best done with a short telephoto in the range I mentioned above because it is most flattering. Shorter focal lengths tend to over exaggerate some features, like a nose.
Also, a shallow depth of field emphasizes the subject by blurring close in and background objects. This is achieved with a big aperture.

What I know about focal length is limited to 35mm SLR and DSLR photography.
The portrait is almost certainly not 35mm. It is likely large format.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-24-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2023 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That then makes total sense, the ' Summer Print Dress ', may very well be a self portrait, the Hasselblad on a tripod, the shutter cable actuated.
Note the depth of field of ~ 2 feet, the vines to the left and right outside the focal length.
At 28 years old in the photo, she looks very much a warm tomato, a nice young woman enjoying the summer in Umbria.
Castel Rigone
This is the place where Hannibal cornered the Romans, with the elephants, it was warmer in that time, globally.
Deep history back to centuries before AD.
A nice place to visit in the summer, cooler at night.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was the first I heard of her, as just a wee lad.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2023 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

' Where's that confounded bridge ? '

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2023 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Solomon and Sheba

Almost didn't recognize Yul Brynner with hair!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock