Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Breaking down Bluegrass – What is it...and is it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Breaking down Bluegrass – What is it...and is it? by williegoat
Started on: 12-04-2022 11:52 AM
Replies: 4 (71 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 12-10-2022 11:41 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2022 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am far from a Bluegrass expert, but I really enjoy listening to it and some of my favorite, most talented musicians started together, playing bluegrass.

I think this video is both entertaining and informative. The guy knows his stuff. But it’s all in fun, don’t take it too seriously.

By the way, this video is just under 30 minutes and there is very little Bluegrass in it.

------------------
Let's go Brandon!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2022 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These guys are some of my favorite musicians, the best of the best. They were the young upstarts back about 40 years ago, now they are the old guard.
Bela Fleck is an absolute genius, Mark O'Connor is the best fiddler I have ever heard and Jerry Douglas is in a class all his own, I can pick him out of a mix, blindfolded.
Tony Rice was a groundbreaker. Sadly, he passed just about two years ago.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-04-2022).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2022 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19533 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Della Mae is one of my favorites. There are two in this band who have always stood out to me and both have gone on to other things.

At 1:40, Courtney Hartman steps up, starts pushing the Bluegrass envelope by 1:50 and the crowd goes wild. The bass player is Shelby Means, she is the sexiest thing I have ever seen on on stage and now plays with Molly Tuttle.

Molly Tuttle's Golden Highway includes Bronwyn Keith-Hynes, one of the best fiddlers I have heard. This is the new, young face of Bluegrass.

I hope the banjo player sued his barber.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2022 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a big fan of Old and in the Way.

Additionally Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice put out some amazing stuff on The Pizza Tapes, Shady Grove and Grateful Dawg.

Garcia started out as a young bluegrass banjo picker. Bill Monroe gave him some good advice early which led to the formation of the Grateful Dead, a VERY unique bluegrass band.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2022 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Garcia started out as a young bluegrass banjo picker. Bill Monroe gave him some good advice early which led to the formation of the Grateful Dead, a VERY unique bluegrass band.

Yep, the Dead, the Byrds and CCR had a bunch of hippies listening to country music and they never suspected a thing.
Sneaky

I have posted this interview here before. I can't stand Ralph Emery, but this video cracks me up.

The song about Ralph Emory:

with Lloyd Green on steel and Clarence White on the B-bender
https://bb.steelguitarforum...488c32b8b94fba72c92e

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-10-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay