Started on: 11-30-2022 08:01 PM
Replies: 16 (249 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-01-2022 10:04 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It turned around and went all Porsche on you! A GM brilliant move.

Corvette to Launch as a Brand in 2025 with a Four-Door and an SUV

https://www.caranddriver.co...corvette-brand-2025/

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 11-30-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if history and current lineup stands true, this should be another overpriced, plastic garbage, electrical nightmare cookie-cutter vehicle that takes the Corvette name. Don't worry about putting a high output V8 into any of the current lineup of SUV's they already sell. This is the prime example of brilliant marketing to hook stupid idiots.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-30-2022).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Corvettes ceased to be "cool" when a manual transmission option was no longer offered.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Corvettes ceased to be "cool" when a manual transmission option was no longer offered.

Corvettes stopped being cool when steel bumpers went away in 1973. After that the "heritage" is a complete joke.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Corvettes stopped being cool when steel bumpers went away in 1973. After that the "heritage" is a complete joke.

I could be quite happy with a steel-bumperless Corvette, but not with a stick-shiftless one.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, the manual trans thing is completely spot on (Patrick) (No self-respecting sports car would come with an auto-smat-icky)

Second, the C7 and C8 with styling by toy-O-ta look ugly while spitting on the Vette heritage....

Third, they have now surpassed 3600 lbs.........so "Fat boy" is it's new moniker.

The last Vette I liked was the C6 Z06 w/ 427 CI engine and weighing under 3200 lbs.....

If they really were doing the Mid-engine Vette right they would have used the AeroVette styling.....

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember when 'porches' started becoming boring - they looked like "Normal" boring cars, except for an occasional model here or there. a four door vette? hope it has at least 16 cup holders to hold the baby bottle for the men childern inside being driven by their wives... and a trunk large enough to carry home all that milk and TP!

I took a short drive in my Fiero tonight and enjoyed it. Han shot first. There are only 6 Star Wars movies and 2 Alien movies. The world ended in 2012, or maybe sooner (Y2k?) I'm STILL affirming this is a minor timeline we're in. *checks his watch*

Eskimo.*
*Oh man... Glenn Shadix died back in 2010?!? wait, corvettes with 4 doors?

Next thing you gonna tell me Mustungs are "lectric" now...

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

There are only 6 Star Wars movies

Six? After 1983, no Star Wars movie has been made AFAIC.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My uncle has a 69 Corvette Stingray, which is super cool... convertible, side pipes, 427, etc. I definitely like that styling... and to be honest, I think I like the styling of all Corvettes from the first all the way until say early 90s. I'm just not a fan of the C6 and pretty much anything in between the new mid-engined version.

I also very much like the new mid-engine Corvette, but to be completely honest, I don't think I'll ever buy any Corvette. There just isn't the enthusiasm that I have for them. If I DID get one, it would probably be a mid-80s one.

Never the less, Patrick... totally agree that the new Corvette should still have a manual transmission, but I do understand why they didn't bother. The number of people buying manual transmissions is decreasing rapidly. The overwhelming vast majority of cars today can't even be purchased with manual transmissions, and the overwhelming vast majority of Millennials, Gen-Zs, and even a good half of Gen-Xers don't even know how to drive one.

In 2016, Ferrari announced they would completely eliminate the manual transmission from all new models... and this was their way forward until there was intense backlash. They're still doing it, but there's only 2 models currently where you can special order a manual transmission.

The truth is they just don't perform as well, and in a time where literally the run of the mill Tesla Plaid can outperform every single vehicle mentioned in this entire thread... these car companies are not going to spend throw-away money on something that makes their vehicles perform less. I mean, literally... the fastest production Z06 Corvette you can buy right now... gets absolutely DESTROYED by a dealer-special Tesla Model-X Plaid... beats it in the quarter mile by a couple of seconds.

It's sad, and I ultimately agree with you, but I understand it. They wanted the new mid-engine Corvette to basically be like a real exotic supercar. it both sounds like one, and performs like one.

As for the other stuff in this article? Completely retarded... it's an obvious excuse for General Motors marketing team to try to add interest to their new line of EV cars by looping them under the name of a new brand called Corvette. The problem is that it dilutes what a Corvette is. It's a failed comparison in the article to use Porsche as an example. Porsche has always had several models, with the exception of the early years post-WW2 where they only had the 356 because it was basically a company that built cars out of a bombed out garage. They've had tons of models, so it's not doing anything to the heritage of the brand.

Personally, I think this is only happening because GM is still essentially being run by the old "Task Force" appointees, none of which were car enthusiasts.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Six? After 1983, no Star Wars movie has been made AFAIC.

Three movies AND a Holiday Special!

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see the Corvette or Tesla beating lap records at Nurburgring. Not that I could/would buy any of those cars either.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I could be quite happy with a steel-bumperless Corvette, but not with a stick-shiftless one.

Different strokes for different folks. I agree that any sports car and real truck should have a manual transmission. As to specific models or years of Vettes, 69 was the last year I fell for. Although, a mid-engine was way overdue IMHO.

Rams
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there are only 2 and 1/2 Star War movies- when Luc-azz started advertising his teddy bears that was the end.

Here is a bit of info about the C8; It has Porsche 911 weight distribution- 40% up front and 60% in back.....How did it get this bad with the MID-MOUNTED all-aluminum V8? Because the stupid potty-matic trans weighs>>>>>>>>>>THREE HUNDRED and FIFTY POUNDS! The only thing that makes it (Relatively) safe to drive is all the electronics!

If they made a manual trans version, they could eliminate at least 150 lbs off the azz-end...

By the way, are we just into BIG NUMBERS...or does the actual experience mean anything? I like being ENGAGED in DRIVING my Fiero. I had never driven a manual trans car...ordered my Fiero with a stick...I suspect my father thought I was nuts (He would be right) Learned to drive a manual trans in my Fiero. And am still driving it 37 years later.

I can have a lot of fun on a windy road at 40-50 where the new Vette/Stang/Maro would have to be doing 60-70 to even break traction at all.

I make a mistake and may scratch the paint- they make a mistake and they TOTAL the car......
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

By the way, are we just into BIG NUMBERS...or does the actual experience mean anything?

It should (and does to some of us) mean EVERYTHING.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been hearing rumors of a Corvette "brand" for quite a few years, now. Probably since not long after Government Motors™ was created.
Do I think it's a good idea? Meh... I couldn't care less.
GM has not produced anything of interest to me since the 2018 Silverado. And that was only because I was window-shopping trucks. (Ended up buying a Ram. All the 2018s were gone, and I hated the 2019s.)
So... They're gonna do what they do, in spite of what the enthusiasts want. I accepted that when Pontiac went away. But they've been doing that for decades longer.
They have a long history of introducing half-baked vehicles, allowing the public to be the beta testers, and then killing the vehicle as soon as they get it right. The Fiero was not the first - or last - in a long line.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

It should (and does to some of us) mean EVERYTHING.

So you can take a super-fast-o car and a driver who's a real bad-azz (he thinks) and I can take my slow-mo Fiero.....Drive a windy road and he can't keep up with me....but, hey, he runs off the road and totals his S-f-o.....

Do you want quality, or quantity?

Like I said, I have a lot of fun driving backroads with my Fiero, or you can do something like this and be super-cool-E-O......

Quality vs quantity; The turbo engines...Lots-O-power, but also, including a helping of (Turbo) lag...I prefer good throttle response.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-01-2022).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

If they really were doing the Mid-engine Vette right they would have used the AeroVette styling...

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Thought I'd try altering the image a bit with Stable Diffusion. Eric, you like?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock