Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  For the love of electric guitar sound - the thread (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
For the love of electric guitar sound - the thread by 2.5
Started on: 08-18-2022 11:57 AM
Replies: 49 (580 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-06-2024 09:19 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2022 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fun
What do you got or like?
More to come of course.
Riffs, solos, jams? Whole songs or albums even.

Though not a rich a sound he covers alot of metal ground here

Hey this one even shows some notes

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2022 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brian May is one my favorite guitarists...He is very underrated. Here is one of best songs off the first Queen album- when they were thinking of going Heavy Metal. Great guitar and drumming (Roger Taylor) "Great King Rat"

I don't know how to "Load Media" (Except my photos) so here is the link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHC85XWII7E (Thank you 2.5...It worked- even with me doing it (I fixed computers at Atari back in '82...'puters have never forgiven me for that)

Side note; Brian plays a guitar he and his father built...It has been scanned/X-rayed numerous times to try and figure out why it sounds like it does....A combination of amazing talent- both he and his father, in building the guitar and playing it.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-18-2022).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2022 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you havent heard these I bet youll be pleasantly surprised

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-18-2022).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2022 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I don't know how to "Load Media" (Except my photos)

Hit edit on one of mine to see, its just the word youtube in brackets around the link with a backslash in front of the last one. (can't be a mobile link though afaik.)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2022 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Breakin it down.
3:35 min mark he plays

Some shredding is greatest slower

I wonder what was written and practiced and what was ad lib jam on these things.

from 5:22

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2022 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe Walsh has a sound all his own.
I have often said that any band that Joe Walsh ever played in sounded just like... Joe Walsh.

I also like Joe Satriani. "Shredder Extraordinare".

Brian May also has a sound of his own, as already mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-18-2022).]

Marko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2022 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happened to read an article regarding the unique guitar sound of Brian May and Queen.

Apparently Brian uses extra thin banjo strings to get the flexibility to make his guitar scream.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2022 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marko:
Apparently Brian uses extra thin banjo strings to get the flexibility to make his guitar scream.

Hah! Never heard that. Everybody has their tricks...
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2022 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fav' band....went to see them twice (79 & 81)...Fav' guitar player....And I never knew that!

Here is a great Roger Taylor (Drummer for Queen) rocker....with some content that makes it fit on this forum;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-20-2022).]

Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2022 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://guitar.com/news/mus...-with-banjo-strings/

Here is a link to the article I read earlier this week.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2022 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive because he actually has 4 guitars here. One is at the back of the guitar and sounds like a harp.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-20-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2022 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Randy Rhoads.. My personal favorite of all time.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2022 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roxette - I love the sound of crashing guitars Album: Crash! Boom! Bang!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr5OJPoJd5U

Side Note: Full version wasn't available in the US at the release but Short Version of Crash! Boom! Bang! including that song sold over 1M copies thru McDonald @ $1 each. McD sold other albums during the promotion where only back library songs like most of "Best of" albums. Even now is hard to find the full version thru many places.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2022 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is something unusual, I got to mess around with one of these at a music store in Daytona back around 1968.

and another oddity from the same era:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2022 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2022 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Randy Rhoads.. My personal favorite of all time.

Amazing for sure.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2022 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is so good, even though I've shared it in the past...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ycEXkNQlWs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2022 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scoYY4vt5T8

Posted this a while back too. But its so good. No lyrics, just sweet sweet sounds.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2022 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mind-blowing skills making me feel...
Yeah.

There's more...
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2022 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1479 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Al Di Meola
From ' Elegant Gypsy ' 1977
Midnight Tango

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2022 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

Al Di Meola

Thanks for mentioning Al Di Meola. He's an artist I sort of forgot about over the years, and probably haven't listened to for a couple of decades, but I recall I quite enjoyed his 1982 Electric Rendezvous album. Damn, that was 40 years ago!

This cut was kind of a fun song.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-14-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2022 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funky Fusion - RTF with Bill Connors on Guitar, 7th Galaxy
Difficult to comprehend in 2022, half a century later.
Groovy stoners and heads at college experiencing mind blowing talent so far out there, they are still in awe,
blasted off in '73, still approaching that far destination.
Heavy tunes.

Far out man !
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2022 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Discriminating epicurean tastes, ' Played Radio City Music Hall with Morgan James and Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox '.

You Know, You Know - Mahavishnu Orchestra John McLaughlin '71

You Know, You Know - Jeff Beck

John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia, Al DiMeola, Friday Night in San Francisco '80

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2022 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1479 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2022 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guitar (music) is subjective.
I personal love acoustic guitar sound.
But you put some nice gear together and it will get my brain tingling. Some nice rich sounds from a stack with the right amount of chorus, delay and over drive.
There is so much hardware to choose from.

But with the right amount of chorus/delay the notes just blend together more. The vocalization of the guitar reaches a new level. Less feel of a standard timing and more just feeling the song. Then punch it home with the right amount of fuzz.

Break out that wallet
https://equipboard.com/pros...?gear=effects-pedals
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2022 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great song, and I love the sound of that big Gibson archtop. The guitar player is David Barbour and the recording is from 1950. Dave Barbour used to work for Benny Goodman, but the story is that he was kicked out for hooking up with a coworker . I kind of think it might have been worth it.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2022 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to catch up on all the posts above, but meanwhile... I enjoy browsing the Documentary category in Tubi on my smart TV at home, and Saturday I watched a thing narrated by Kevin Bacon about electric guitars. It could have been better, but it was worth the time spent. Then yesterday I saw a documentary on Duane Allman. I didn't know much about him before that, and it was very interesting.

Okay, that's all I wanted to say.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2022 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has to be said, an integral, originative part of 20th century rock, heavy metal, tunage.
Still tappin' my toes, to this day when I listen to it, a zeppelin sized influence in musical appreciation.

Acoustic Guitar Track Isolated

Ramble On Tracks - courtesy of James P

Ramble On
: more thinkin' :
: profound introspection :

Recreating the Sound

The Sound, Recreated

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 10-22-2022).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2022 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1479 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Hmmmmnnn... nice .
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2022 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Innovative craftmanship.

' All the news fit to print '

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 10-20-2022).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2022 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Elvis Tribute - Liz Sanchez
Tribute - Liz Sanchez
Evolution of the Electric Guitar

You know, you know, Elvis had an early Sportster KH.

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 10-25-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2022 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

You know, you know, Elvis had an early Sportster KH.

A KH is not a Sportster. It is a flathead. The "Ironhead" replaced the K model in '57.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2022 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep !
You're right.
' Before the OHV Sportster, there was the side valve, true. ' '52 K

Before there was rock, there was country.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2022 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most everyone has heard of the Isleys, but I'm not sure that everyone knows that Ernie is a hell of a shredder. (I didn't.)
I had to go out and buy the album, after seeing this very performance, on Letterman.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2022 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2022 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you've never seen it the documentary It Might Get Loud is great
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2022 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Most everyone has heard of the Isleys, but I'm not sure that everyone knows that Ernie is a hell of a shredder.

I have to admit that I'm not 100% positive what the term "shredder" means in regards to a guitar player... but the way Ernie plays guitar in the 1973 song below has always blown me away., No doubt he was heavily influenced by Hendrix. It's great!
For those of you who are impatient , the solo begins at 2:11 (The video and audio were obviously recorded at different times, but IMO this is the best sounding version of the song on YouTube.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-11-2022).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2022 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

' You better listen, anybody
'Cause I'm gonna make it clear
That my life is unimportant
What I've done I did through fear
There's a river running through me
On its tide I tried to hide
Nonetheless I could not shake it
And in the end, it swept aside

All my feeble unimportance
I can't say it, never mind
Can't you hear me, mother, calling you?
I'm cold, I'm deaf, I'm blind
And if only 'cause you're lucky
We both know that's no find
I did think I'd be an actor
What I am I'll leave behind

You better listen, anybody
'Cause it's me and you, that's it
And in case you find your Maker
Perhaps you'll plead for us a bit
All my sick is in my stomach
All my sweat is clearly fear
And if you could see inside me
I don't think you'd have me here

Tell the helmsman, "Veer to starboard"
Bring this ship around to port
And if the sea was not so salty
I could sink instead of walk
And in case of passing strangers
Who are standing where I fell
Tell the truth, you never knew me
And in truth it's just as well '

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 11-23-2022).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2022 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason I really was into Queen was because of Brian may, the guitarist....among other things, he used an echo box to create layering of guitar on stage...Finally, on the third album (Shear Heart Attack) the on-stage echo box jam was incorporated in a song; "Brighton Rock"

The best version of this song was on the live album, Queen Live Killers....(there is a bit of a Timpani drum jam by Roger Taylor in it also)

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2022 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first time I saw this band on YouTube, I didn't believe they were real. I thought it was an act. It took me a couple of days of watching and listening to figure out that they are indeed real.
That was the middle of 2019 and here is the thread: Why has no one informed me of this?

Well, they are still going strong. Here is an instrumental from just a few days ago.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-28-2022).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock