Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Any fitness and health nut jobs in here?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any fitness and health nut jobs in here? by ls3mach
Started on: 04-25-2022 01:24 PM
Replies: 38 (512 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 01-20-2023 02:44 PM
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not looking for Vax information rofl.

I don't know enough about the subject to know which questions to ask.

Goal is to drop weight. I'm hoping to not need to do much strength training. I know that's what it seems all beginners want to start with. Ideally I just hit a treadmill and watch Netflix, but I doubt that'll achieve desired results?

Any help?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stop drinking soda pop.
Stop using refined sugar.
Stop eating prepackaged snacks.
Stop eating fast food.
Limit alcohol intake.
Eat sensible amounts of real food that you prepare at home.
Meat, vegetables, salads, fruits, nuts
Drink lots of water
Other beverages in moderation such as coffee (black), fruit juice (the real stuff that is 100% juice), tea (not sweet tea)

Watch Netflix and use the treadmill.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-25-2022).]

SKJSS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm a gym rat and bit of a health nut.

A treadmill isn't the way to loose weight and be healthy. It can be a part of your exercise routine, but should not be the sole source. You don't need to go to the opposite extreme either and "pump iron" for 2 hours...grunting the entire time. Sorry to say that you should do some strength training. You can do lighter weights if you want. The point here is that weight training has long lasting benefits that cardio simply doesn't. Muscles burn calories. Do strength training and your body will naturally burn more calories all day, every day. Don't worry, you won't be "jacked" unless you lift and eat like a bodybuilder. I'm not saying you shouldn't do cardio, as it is a good part of an exercise program. Just don't rely fully on it. Doing excessive cardio can lead to being "skinny fat"...you look skinny, but aren't actually healthy.

Nutrition is just as important, if not more so, then strength training. You do NOT need to starve yourself, in fact that's a terrible mistake many people make. A well balanced diet high in protein, healthy fats and carbs (yes carbs, just in proper amounts) will take you where you want to go. Tons of great examples out there. I'm typically pretty rigid with my nutrition, and allow myself a "cheat meal" every Friday night and a cheaty snack Saturday night.

I'm 50 years old and have been a gym rat for about 16-17 years now. I'm getting to the point in my life where I just don't care as much about being "ripped". At my best, I was around 7% body fat. I'm 5'8" and float around 175-180lbs, so I'm not a bulked up guy. Just fit. You can do it!!!
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Stop drinking soda pop.
Stop using refined sugar.
Stop eating prepackaged snacks.
Stop eating fast food.
Limit alcohol intake.
Eat sensible amounts of real food that you prepare at home.
Meat, vegetables, salads, fruits, nuts
Drink lots of water
Other beverages in moderation such as coffee (black), fruit juice (the real stuff that is 100% juice), tea (not sweet tea)

Watch Netflix and use the treadmill.

Basically can't outrun a diet?

I don't even have Netflix, rofl, but I am thinking that isn't going to be enough. I walked in one day at work well over a marathon. My water consumption while working is typically a minimum of a pint an hour for 12 hours. The job is QUITE physical, but in no way would I consider it manual labor. I walk a lot anyway, I knock down 10k steps without much effort from pacing and just generally don't mind walking. Unfortunately I just moved to be right on top of that particular job and now there isn't many destinations to walk to. I used to walk to the dollar store, park, convenience store, etc. Now it is almost a mile to a convivence store of which I need nothing from. I COULD walk to work. It is an 8 minute walk and .4 miles. Given that I already walk a TON while there I think the inconvenience of not having my truck when I get off, an emergency, or inclement weather aren't worth it.

No alcohol.
I was completely off sodas and need to get back to that. It is probably 10 a week now, which is a lot considering it was 0.
I have heard the term refined sugars, but I don't know really what they are, just an educated guess. I am not a candy or sweets guy.
I can cook and try to do extra meals and this goes average to pretty good, though sometimes what I make does contain processed components. Don't drink coffee. LOVE sweet tea, but haven't even had it in years except maybe a sip of someone's at a restaurant to see how it is there. When I make tea it is just a bag and water.
Don't eat out, especially fast food too often.
My fruit intake is 0 and basically always has been. My vegetable intake certainly could be much better.

Originally posted by SKJSS:

Yes, I'm a gym rat and bit of a health nut.

A treadmill isn't the way to loose weight and be healthy. It can be a part of your exercise routine, but should not be the sole source. You don't need to go to the opposite extreme either and "pump iron" for 2 hours...grunting the entire time. Sorry to say that you should do some strength training. You can do lighter weights if you want. The point here is that weight training has long lasting benefits that cardio simply doesn't. Muscles burn calories. Do strength training and your body will naturally burn more calories all day, every day. Don't worry, you won't be "jacked" unless you lift and eat like a bodybuilder. I'm not saying you shouldn't do cardio, as it is a good part of an exercise program. Just don't rely fully on it. Doing excessive cardio can lead to being "skinny fat"...you look skinny, but aren't actually healthy.

Nutrition is just as important, if not more so, then strength training. You do NOT need to starve yourself, in fact that's a terrible mistake many people make. A well balanced diet high in protein, healthy fats and carbs (yes carbs, just in proper amounts) will take you where you want to go. Tons of great examples out there. I'm typically pretty rigid with my nutrition, and allow myself a "cheat meal" every Friday night and a cheaty snack Saturday night.

I'm 50 years old and have been a gym rat for about 16-17 years now. I'm getting to the point in my life where I just don't care as much about being "ripped". At my best, I was around 7% body fat. I'm 5'8" and float around 175-180lbs, so I'm not a bulked up guy. Just fit. You can do it!!!

Howdy and welcome aboard.
Skinny fat is a term I have been using for YEARS I didn't know it was actually a common phrase. Just something my friends and I call each other when one of us gets wildly skinny too fast.

Plenty people know personal information about me on and from here, but I am going to drop you a PM if you have time to offer some tips. I won't repeat what I replied to ole. but give some extra information that is probably pertinent.

Thanks both of you.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not a health nut...But I always "Took care of myself" which includes eating (Relatively) healthy and exercising. I like to go for bike rides, etc.....

One of the biggest problems we have in "modern" society is "Labor saving"......We are proud of having got the parking spot closest to the store or door, we proudly drive our cool car anywhere we go, etc. I go to the store a lot on my bike.

Years ago I noticed something; I would go to Stoneridge mall and park out at the edge of the lot- there were trees for shade and rarely was anyone parked next to me (Door dings) (Not on the Fiero)...I would see some lady driving up and down the lot-isles looking for a close spot....I would go in and come out 10-20 minutes later from buying (Usually) a DVD or CD, and she would finally have found her spot....Then she would climb (Barely) out of the car and waddle towards the mall door.....

My point is, simply doing less "Labor-saving" will burn a lot of calories......

Also, eat "low salt" foods, and then you need less sugar to counter........My favorite juice is Langer's Cran-Raspberry...But I always add approx' 10% water to each glass.

One more thing; Don't switch over to "All-Healthy diet!!!!" at once.......Start by switching a few things at a time...slowly you will get used to each thing. I went back and tried some of the old things I used to eat and actually don't like a lot of them.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I am not a health nut...But I always "Took care of myself" which includes eating (Relatively) healthy and exercising. I like to go for bike rides, etc.....

One of the biggest problems we have in "modern" society is "Labor saving"......We are proud of having got the parking spot closest to the store or door, we proudly drive our cool car anywhere we go, etc. I go to the store a lot on my bike.

Years ago I noticed something; I would go to Stoneridge mall and park out at the edge of the lot- there were trees for shade and rarely was anyone parked next to me (Door dings) (Not on the Fiero)...I would see some lady driving up and down the lot-isles looking for a close spot....I would go in and come out 10-20 minutes later from buying (Usually) a DVD or CD, and she would finally have found her spot....Then she would climb (Barely) out of the car and waddle towards the mall door.....

Also, eat "low salt" foods, and then you need less sugar to counter........My favorite juice is Langer's Cran-Raspberry...But I always add approx' 10% water to each glass.

One more thing; Don't switch over to "All-Healthy diet!!!!" at once.......Start by switching a few things at a time...slowly you will get used to each thing. I went back and tried some of the old things I used to eat and actually don't like a lot of them.

I've been driving a super duty for years, so parking close hasn't been an option. Only time I ever did was when we had a handicapped sticker, still not in the truck.. My significant other had liver issues. She was only allowed 2000mg a day, so I stopped salting heavy probably 8 years ago. I really like juice, but legit fresh is either too much work or cost prohibitive. Brad mentioned something years ago about NAKED brand and how it is a complete farce (not to mention overpriced), I do enjoy how a few tasted, but I think he said they pasteurized or something, thus cooking and ruining the nutritional value. Jenny juiced off and on and I never minded making it for her, but I don't feel that would ever be sustainable for myself and it wasn't for her either. I had no plans to make drastic changes. I've witnessed others and even done it myself on this and other things. My height and weight has my BMI at "overweight".

I've been considering a bike myself. I am worried about, and no idea if it is true, damaging that nerve and having impotency issues. Maybe that was just a myth I heard forever ago. I made an offer on a 7 speed tricycle today, but it was declined. It isn't something I need even a little, but it looked cool, had a basket and I could see actually riding it to the grocery store (2 miles each way) instead of taking a vehicle. Still can't see riding it to work though.

I guess I'll just keep plucking away. Kind of hoping to get a mild regiment or game plan. I am a big fan of tracking metrics, so if I find something that I notice gives considerable gains/losses I'll for sure be doing that.

I remember when everyone started buying fitbits and such and trying to hit 10k steps a day and they acted like it was the hardest thing ever. I worked a grocery store forever and about 2004 or so got a waist pedometer and was doing 8-9 miles even then, so the 10k step thing has always been a joke in my eyes. I get anything is something and it probably is a lot for someone older, heavier or with actual medical conditions. I am really none of those, just don't exercise self control and consistency.

I tried to keep at with the people on Livestrong or similar forum years ago, but there was something I didn't like. I need a place like PFF except for health.

That trike seemed cool. I might find one that needs TLC and give myself a custom project. Nothing flashy. I am more about form over function. Put me some "chromies" on it to get stolen at recess.
SKJSS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Have to say I only very partially agree with this.

Sure, our society has become a bit lazier, there's no question about it. But parking 15 spaces further away isn't going to make or break being healthy.

Salt and sugar may counter each other from a taste perspective. From a health perspective, they don't. Either one of them is fine in moderation. It's just excess that get people into trouble.

I definitely don't agree with "don't switch to a healthy diet all at once". Why not??

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mitochondria eat fat, so get more of those in your body. how?

"exercise creates a positive feedback loop for your mitochondria: Not only does it increase the number of mitochondria in your body, it increases the quality of those mitochondria, according to ​research​ published in the ​Journal of Applied Physiology."

Check out Taskhuman. They can help get your act together. costs money, but so does a personal trainer and/or prostitute.

Don't worry about impotency, just get a nice gel seat. You'll get more impotent by not riding.*

*that's not true, but lets pretend it is

"butt" really, just get a nice gel seat and your vessels will be ok and not all squish-i-fied.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 04-26-2022).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have known a lot of people who have tried to go "ALL IN!" on a healthy diet.....and then give up and go back to bad habits while stating "I can't eat all that crap!" I am not saying don't switch over- I am just pointing out to not think this can be done "Over-night" and suddenly you are going to be super-healthy. It is something you have to work at and it takes time. Every once-in-a-while I enjoy something that is not specifically healthy- and that is OK...because I eat relatively healthy overall.

I have been trying new- and healthy things....Some I have liked, some I have not....and some took a bit of time to get used to. I tried several veggie-burgers and didn't like any of them (I don't eat burgers with "all the trimmings") Then I tried Amy's All-American burger...I liked it so much that I eat it plain (I will admit it does not taste like a BURGER- but it has a good taste on it's own)

I have to eat Gluten-free now because of Lupus....There are several different crackers and breads that are gluten-free.....Took a while to find which ones I like. A neighbor also must eat Gluten-free- but she does not like the same things I do.

Take your time, be patient- but diligent.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While we are in here.

Obviously water is best, but what is everyone's take on beverages?

Gatorade etc VS sugar free.
The powder drink additives.
The Mio etc. These are especially appealing to me because they have no nutritional facts to speak of printed on the package. There has to be something in there though.

I don't like coffee, but if I stomach one is there any health benefit?
I enjoy tea. I really like sweat tea, but rarely make it. Is there a health benefit to just drinking tea with no additives.

Chris,
I have no idea what you are talking about...If I thought a tape worm would help I'd get one from Creed Bratton.

I haven't done an intentional controlled exercise in about 1.5 years. After doing 2, I've decided weight loss and endurance are my primary goals. I am not small in stature and I am not looking to bulk any larger.

I've heard a lot of controversy over BMI and I am not sure if it is something I should care about. I caught a bit of David Spade's new special and he said he has always weighed 140. Went to the doctor at the age of 54 and the doctor scoffed, laughed and made him weigh at 165lbs. Internet says he is 5'7", but to me next to other actors, I am betting that is wearing his "tall" shoes. Kind of like when Trump was mad about someone saying he wasn't 6'2". Anyway. BMI put him at overweight and he definitely didn't seem that to me. I didn't think he was in/out of shape or anything, but has he ever been?

As of 4/24 I have been 100% off energy drinks (those have always varied between 0 and excessive. No in-between. Soda water is next.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My drink of choice for lunch and dinner is Langer's Cran-Raspberry....I mix it with 10% water and 10% Raspberry Lemonade...I have let several friends try this and all have really liked it....A few ask for it every time they come by.

For breakfast I have low-sugar OJ (W/added calcium and vit-D) At first, I thought the low-sugar OJ tasted kind of funny...But I got used to it and recently (By mistake) grabbed a regular OJ...And I do NOT like it's taste anymore. (Had the same thing happen with some Cheddar crackers- first hand-full did not like....But towards the end of the box (A few days later) I actually started looking forward to them)

I don't drink coffee, tea or Alcohol at all. And I try to drink a lot of water, also.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2022 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're getting too "in the weeds."

Calories in, calories out. If your goal is to lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn. You can burn ~800 calories with a really good hour-long workout, but 800 calories is probably half a burger from a restaurant. Simply said, your diet is the most important component of the equation.

Reduce your caloric intake and you will lose weight, period. You need to maintain some balanced meals, so the rest of the info in the thread is fine, but it really comes down to calories. Once you want to start doing weight cycles and working on more specific components of your physique, you'll want to start looking at more nutritional information and count your macros.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2022 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Try taking a protein shake before bed and asap when awakening.

When you sleep you brain heals the body so your protein levels are rather low in the morning. It helped me jumpstart my metabolism. I stopped only cuz I hurt my shoulder and HOPE it works again when I start working out again.

Also, perhaps the craziest thing about workous is that you need to find what worx best for you....

Thanx all,

Aireek

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2022 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in the military so still able to drink beer and smoke and still pass the pt test. butt... i have found a rowing machine if you have your form right 20min a day is way more fruitful than treadmill and you still netflix and chill for some low impact cardio to start with or use to maintain a exercise regimen.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2022 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

You're getting too "in the weeds."

Calories in, calories out. If your goal is to lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn. You can burn ~800 calories with a really good hour-long workout, but 800 calories is probably half a burger from a restaurant. Simply said, your diet is the most important component of the equation.

Reduce your caloric intake and you will lose weight, period. You need to maintain some balanced meals, so the rest of the info in the thread is fine, but it really comes down to calories. Once you want to start doing weight cycles and working on more specific components of your physique, you'll want to start looking at more nutritional information and count your macros.

I think popular consensus is calories+/- isn't all there is to it. The food pyramid introduced in the 90s has changed so many times it is ridiculous. Especially considering grains were like 20 servings a day. I have noticed depending on what I am eating though I an fluctuate my weight close to 20lbs in just a matter of days. I don't think this is thyroid or diabetes as I have given plenty of blood in the last year for testing. I also do not for a moment believe anyone of normal weight and fitness level is burning 800 calories in an hour. I read a list of things that can do that and all need to be very vigorous and most need you to be over 200lbs. At 200lbs you start getting back into people who have nowhere close to that level of fitness. For me I never plan on living a life where 1 hour of intense exercise is required daily.

After exercising and changing some things in life I have noticed a fistful of things. My energy levels are all over the place. I can't get a consistent sleep pattern. My dieting habits are a train wreck. Mood swings. Lethargy. I can walk to the store and if I grab a soda I can feel the energy difference from just the trip back home. My breathing is noticeably more labored after drinking only a few ounces.

Weight fluctuations are my biggest worry.

Not sure what happened with SKJSS. Must have been one of Patrick's shills. ROFL.

Eric I am not looking to get into protein drinks and other supplements. I take a multivitamin. I simply want to be in shape in that I can do functional exercises. Not die because I can't pull myself up from a ledge. Things like that.

cvxjet: I love juice. I even like cranberry. It isn't super healthy and loaded with sugars. No need for me to inject it into my body. It isn't cheaper than soda and I have seen reports showing it to be no better or worse when comparing directly. I of course take all studies with a grain of salt.. I've tried juicing in the past and it is great as far as fad diets go. Dropped 20lbs rapidly and probably would stay that way if anyone could commit to that hell. I know you weren't suggesting that route, but I just would rather have a soda or nothing if I am just throwing down empty calories. The processing kills off most of the good stuff and according to Brad I don't want to get anywhere near the Naked brand of products.

Jake if you get in here, let's talk bikes.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2022 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are my takes on bikes.

You have to ride it for it to be any benefit.
Let me explain, you need to get something that you can get on and ride. Don't worry about anything fancy. Get something that fits you and is convenient to get on and go.
For a starter bike you need something that you can ride local, a good comfortable street bike. I would check thrift shops or goodwill.
Ride when every you can and as much as you can but don't push it. You should feel tired after a ride but not so sore that you feel it after an hour or so.
Once you find out if you like riding a bike then you can start riding further and setting goals.

Now if you have made it to the point where you enjoy riding.
Figure out what kind of riding you like and find somewhere you can go and have fun.
This will take some thought, you need to figure out how you are going to transport your bike.
That is something I never did so you are on your own. But it has to be convenient or you will stop doing it.
You may even end up with a couple different kind of bikes.

For me I just like the freedom, would get on the bike and ride around town. Didn't keep track of how far or anything like that I just rode.
Break up the routine and find new places you can ride.

Take care of your bike, keep good tires on it and keep it lubricated. Get some comfortable gear and just have fun.

If you have not been on a bike in a while do not push it too much, remember you want to enjoy the ride not punish yourself because you think you are out of shape.
If you enjoy it then you will ride more, the more you ride the more you will get into shape.

End of the day if you are going into this as a hobby then enjoy it don't think of it as something you need to do.
Last thing, just have fun.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2022 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't live in an area conducive to riding as my means of transportation. I don't need a 3 mile Dufour trip to be closer to an hour. Riding to work isn't for me as it's only .4 miles and after 12 hours the weather can be anything. I'd be just as well to walk (no sidewalks) and catch a ride home no bike. I have a truck so transporting isn't an issue. I've been wanting a bike for probably a year. I just got a dog though and honestly taking him for the hour on a bike is probably more enjoyable than I'll ever have on a bike.
None of my people have any interest in this, so I'm really flying solo.
I also hate that prep before exercising. I'm not interested. I want to go to it. It's like when people go camping and it is more work and expense than not going camping and they end up miserable.

I really don't mind walking and just finished a 90+ hour book if that gives you an idea of how much I don't mind it.

Typos = doggy licked screen.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2022 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two of the latest Diabetic meds have a "Lose 15-50 LBS" as a side effect, sometimes actually cause the Type 2 person to go into remission. I know three people who lost 30-40 lbs just from one med. they went from being "morbidly obese" to kinda having to struggle to maintain their weight. They also stopped snacking and "lost the love" from a lot of the "comfort foods" they once enjoyed.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2022 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
/
Two of the latest Diabetic meds have a "Lose 15-50 LBS" as a side effect, sometimes actually cause the Type 2 person to go into remission. I know three people who lost 30-40 lbs just from one med. they went from being "morbidly obese" to kinda having to struggle to maintain their weight. They also stopped snacking and "lost the love" from a lot of the "comfort foods" they once enjoyed.

I rarely if ever see any broadcast television, but I had an internet issue last year and it was overwhelming the number of medication commercials I heard. I cannot say which were which, but I heard weight loss on many of them and I don't think they ever made it sound positive.

I have to my knowledge 1 diabetic family member. I have never been told I was even prediabetic. I have asked because I drink a LOT, I am not exactly skinny, I binge on things. Think ice cream.

I know I am going to die, but I have spent so many years developing bad habits and I have to ask, was this the best use of my time? Was it of any use to my time? I am not trying to prolong my life artificially, but I'd like to be less miserable and overall healthier. I 100% don't remember the flavors of the 6 pints of ice cream I had in a weeks time, but I do know throwing up from being so out of shape in the heat.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2022 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. If Ice Cream is your thing, (I enjoy it but I can easily go a year without it)

then get a thingie to make yourself some icey treats. It can be a half hour ritual and at the end...yummy icey treat!

They have machines that can turn *stuff* into "frozeny" stuff. Small batch.

so you look and see what your favorite flavors are. Then look for recipies. Vanilla or chocolate or fruity... play around and experiement and see what you enjoy...

Watch Sick Tired and Nearly Dead Its not perfect but it helps a lot of people start their journey.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2022 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Hmmm. If Ice Cream is your thing, (I enjoy it but I can easily go a year without it)

then get a thingie to make yourself some icey treats. It can be a half hour ritual and at the end...yummy icey treat!

They have machines that can turn *stuff* into "frozeny" stuff. Small batch.

so you look and see what your favorite flavors are. Then look for recipies. Vanilla or chocolate or fruity... play around and experiement and see what you enjoy...

Watch Sick Tired and Nearly Dead Its not perfect but it helps a lot of people start their journey.

My doctor left me a VM. I guess I already had an appointment for next week. I know I am seeing more physical activity overall, but the fluctuations are suspect.
I'm not trying to get into making confectionary treats. I'd rather just cut the out altogether and only eat them for special times. No need for me to make it cheaper for me to consume unhealthy things. 40 years of bad habits certainly won't leave me overnight though.
Been seeing a chiropractor too. I am hoping in conjunction with regular exercise my strength goes up.

I hooked up with a kid I went to school with today. He has physical disabilities (spina bifida?). It was very leisurely as I don't think this Great Dane can keep up yet. I think we only did about a 5k, but I was coming off a 12 hour shift this AM and on low sleep too. It was right at an hour. He let ne se his numbers pre-pandemic, and close to 8 years ago for I think the OKC marathon. He averaged at just over 10mph and finished second, even crashing and getting a concussion. I will never be on that level for running and it isn't a goal of mine, but I think we're going to do my first together.

To clarify he was in his chair.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2022 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Weight fluctuations are my biggest worry.

Not sure what happened with SKJSS. Must have been one of Patrick's shills. ROFL.

Weight fluctuations are among the least of your issues.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2022 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Weight fluctuations are among the least of your issues.

You're right. They are checking me for colon cancer. I am sure your comment was with all good intentions

Brennan the only psycho in my life now is CICO.

Crushing the game. I am sad I didn't document better.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2022 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I go to the gym regularly, around 5-days a week on average.

Mostly strength training for about an hour or two, but I do around 20-30 minutes of cardo most days as well.

I'm not a big health nut as far as food goes. Other than I don't drink sugar soda, or coffee or fufu drinks. I do drink diet or zero sugar soda and zero sugar energy drinks.

To me, what has really gave me an athletic physique is intermittent fasting. I essentially only eat once a day and I never eat breakfast. That has always been the key to me in keeping a 30" waist with 190lb of mass at 6'.1"

I'm aging though and on the downward slope, so I'll be losing about 1% of my muscle mass each year, but I can still maintain my waist in abs with no problem.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2022 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I go to the gym regularly, around 5-days a week on average.

Mostly strength training for about an hour or two, but I do around 20-30 minutes of cardo most days as well.

I'm not a big health nut as far as food goes. Other than I don't drink sugar soda, or coffee or fufu drinks. I do drink diet or zero sugar soda and zero sugar energy drinks.

To me, what has really gave me an athletic physique is intermittent fasting. I essentially only eat once a day and I never eat breakfast. That has always been the key to me in keeping a 30" waist with 190lb of mass at 6'.1"

I'm aging though and on the downward slope, so I'll be losing about 1% of my muscle mass each year, but I can still maintain my waist in abs with no problem.

If you get time PM some pro-tips for a routine.
I am still off soda. I don't miss it, except the occasional hankering. I am drinking at most 1/2 gallon of unsweet tea and 12-30 cups of water a day. Rootbeer sounded good this morning. Especially Barqs, but it wasn't even a thing. Energy drinks are gosh darn expensive and were really more of a drinking habit. I had been off the sauce a fair while. That stuff is pricey too, but honestly soda and energy drinks are a larger monetary cost.

To me the biggest changes are simple. At the company picnic instead of having 2 or 3 free hotdogs from the local BBQ company, I waited and ate the pork loin I already had thawed at the house. It wasn't free, but the whole meal was better than these hotdogs. A hydration pop sounded good at work today. 130cal for 2 of them. I just had 1 instead. When I make oatmeal, I don't sugar it up. I actually measure 1 serving. It is PLENTY of sugar and only 30cal.

Things I've learned.
If you asked me a year ago while climbing the stairs if I was out of breathe I would've said "NO!". Truthfully I was always out of breathe and didn't even know it.
I've never done a pull up in my life. I always thought I was getting close. Losing weight was so much easier than getting strong enough to hoist me (at my worst `275). Now that I can do them, I realize I was not even a little close.
I need no sleep aids.
I had to give up my short pants that I bought all new in March. Belts weren't even keeping them on, which I had to get rid of too. I apparently have no butt, even less after that gun shot, ROFL.

Next month is all incline on the treadmill. All month. Do I need to take rest days from that? I am not looking to get a butt, but I'd like my new pants to have something to stick to.

I have a before photo and found the same shirt. I'm not quite there, so I'll maybe wait to do the side by side. Next body composition is on the 31st. I was 29.1 on 7/31. I will have to check my notes to see where I was when I posted this, but I am expecting to be under 25% this month. Officially not overweight, we shall see.

Fasting. I have been doing this about 1 time a week or every 2 weeks at least. I feel great after the 2nd day of fasting. I work odd hours, so missing breakfast to me means I maybe miss dinner or lunch.

Tracking calories is the biggest thing. Appalling all the garbage I was tossing in my gullet.

Knocked out a 35 mile day a week ago.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2022 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for the hell of it, you should have your doctor run a testosterone check. Too much estrogen and it can get out of control causing weight gain and difficulty losing.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2022 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Just for the hell of it, you should have your doctor run a testosterone check. Too much estrogen and it can get out of control causing weight gain and difficulty losing.

I am under full blood panel work. I am wanting to get on testosterone regardless. We did a CBC and a few others a week or so ago. It is why he is so concerned about butthole cancer.

The conversation went.

Doc "You're anemic, are you a vegetarian?"
Me: Noticeably puzzled. No?!
Doc: Many uneducated vegans are anemic.
Me: Did you really think I was or were you just hoping?
Doc: Hoping...

I don't know what the numbers mean, but I know what a camera in the rear is about. Not the kind of backup cam I wanted, that's for sure. I was already popping a multi-vitamin, but now I have to take iron twice a day. It is 5/7 not recommended.

I appreciate the thought though and for sure on my radar.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 08-27-2022).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2022 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut out bread.
Cut out whole milk / cheese / ice cream
Calisthenics every day for 15-20 minutes.
Eat lots of fiber.
Stay active - minimize the tv sitting & watching.
Kit
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2022 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Cut out bread.
Cut out whole milk / cheese / ice cream
Calisthenics every day for 15-20 minutes.
Eat lots of fiber.
Stay active - minimize the tv sitting & watching.
Kit

I quite regular bread for sure. The calories to taste ratio just isn't there. Flour tortillas too, which I love.
I don't really consume milk. Ice cream I love. I've had a pint of Blue Bell in hr freezer waiting for me.
I'm looking to only do calisthenics and not so much weight lifting.
I eat probably a can of beans a day. I'm on iron pills 2x, so I'm worried about getting constipation.
TV time is very little of actual watching.
Trying to stay active best I can.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2022 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I almost 100% for sure don't have colon cancer. My weight loss went well. I was at my worst 275, but probably 225-245 when I started. I was weighed at the doctor at 166.4 last week. First time in my adult life to not be overweight or obese.

No miracle cure. As Brennan stated CICO. I have a lot of toning left to do and it'll be a long while before my skin regains its' elasticity. People that didn't know me before have repeatedly said they can't tell I was ever huge like that. I still think I am portly. The goal was anything under 175lbs, just to get into "normal" on the BMI chart. I am now thinking more like 155 and toned is a better weight for me.

MyFitnessPal was a great help tracking calories. I was going to buy a years subscription, but they have an issue tracking with Samsung Health and decided it wasn't going to be worth $80. As of 10/1/22 they have removed the scanner feature for free users. I VERY much think it is worth the yearly cost, but since my issue cannot/has not been fixed I had to find something else. Cronometer if anyone else is looking.

Be happy to share my tips and advice to anyone who wants to ask or PM me. I am no expert, but I must be at least decent given my results.

BMI is and as we all probably know a real joke. It is however probably at least a decent guideline for a healthy weight. The math just doesn't support the actual body composition in my opinion.

Peanut butter is NOT your friend.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2022 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I did get a testosterone check. He said it was quite good and wouldn't give me any citing fertility and other issues. I had jogged a 5k that morning and wonder if that boost results, but if it does then I guess just running more frequently gets the same effect. Just wanted that boost and figured it would be like a cheat code.

Thank you for the suggestion.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not quit a year. Hovering in the 160s. BP is stellar. I can do pull-ups now. I'll probably do a few marathons this year. Not for speed or any of the dumb walking challenges.

250+ I can't recall, heaviest 278lbs.

Dog tax:

I used My Fitness Pal to track all my food. MyNetDiary might be more robust, but the food catalog is massive on MFP. I bought the premium version this year of MFP. and they gave me a 40% coupon for asking. They certainly did their part. Gotta dance with the one that brought you...

Biggest thing I can say. It was hard until it wasn't.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the weight loss. The before/after' pictures Reminds me of me at times.
Not too many years ago, early 2016, I weighed 245-250, wore 38-40 waist Wranglers when I had all my adult life worn size 36 waist. and that is with a 6'4" height. I am now back down to around 205-208 and back in size 36 waist.
Lost so much my suit hangs off me. I'm probably a little lighter than than now.

Be very careful about losing too much musclemass including in your feet. It can cause problems later in life as you will really miss that padding down there and the jarring transmits up to your knees and hips.

I'm missing something here tho. I see some references to diabetes but didn't see that YOU state that you are in fact diabetic.
If you are, and are type 2 diabetic, then there is much more to it than simple 'calories in-calories out'.

Carbs play a huge part of blood glucose/A1C control. Reduce caloric intake all you want, you still HAVE to watch your carb intake.
The rule of thumb many go by is 'if it's white, it's bad'. Bread, rice, potatoes etc. (rice is my kryptonite)
Back when I had the farm (pre mid 2022) I had miles of fence to walk every week, usually carrying tools, so exercise was not an issue. The last year I was there tho, I found myself more often riding the 4 wheeler instead. (I was 71-72yrs old)

I was, back around 2017, on one of the diabetic meds that also result in weight loss. Pretty pricey even with good insurance. There were/are several different ones of that type. I was on Bydureon, but Trulicity and Ozempic are similar. It's a twice weekly injection in your belly fat. Pretty painful and does leave a nice whelp at the injection sites but it drops A1c and weight pretty quickly. I got off of it when I lost an entire month's prescription going out of my property in a boat the big flood. I believe the newer ones allow for the injection to be in your thigh which IMO would be lots better. May have it in pill form now. (semaglutide dulaglutide I think they are. GLP-1 receptor agonists.)

Regarding bicycles. Around 2016, wife and I both bought bikes and didn't spend a whole lot of $$ on them at Academy. The bluish one is mine. 21speed.
When I lived back in East Texas, I generally rode 3-5 miles a day and it was easy, usually with my dog on a leash held in my left hand. Now, I had gotten away from it for awhile after moving out west but I still try to ride but it is much harder here, as there is probably not more than any 150' run that isn't hilly, and no matter which direction I go, there is going to be at least 1 significant headwind either on the outgoing trip or the return. I rode about 1 mile just yesterday and there was a steady 15 mph wind on the return that happened to be up a hill and I had to get off and push the bike for the last 50 yards.
This type hill (in front of my house).

The swimming pool helps but once the air temp dropped below comfortable and the water temp even worse, we of course can't use it.
I do still use my treadmill (which was a royal pita to move but am glad I did).

From yesterday's followup Dr visit (remember.. I'm 6'4" and almost 73. [I hate being the same age as old people])

My BP is a little low there and pulse a bit high but it's probably because I rode my bicycle to the Doctor office.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-19-2023).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Don. Out a field with a suit on??? 6'4" is a lot more frame than I have to work with, but even 5'10" it is easier to hide the weight.

I am not diabetic or even "pre". To my knowledge only my great great uncle had diabetes. My family medical history is mostly unknown to me. I know of all my living adult relatives I only have 1 in Oklahoma that isn't at least obese 1. My Louisiana side was never heavy like that, but there are only 2 of us left in my direct lineage. She is still petite (5' 105;bs) has 3 children, but I have 0 idea what they are up to and their sizes.
I had a 21 speed Schwinn. I am not a fan of blaming the victim, but mine was sleeping on my front porch and now it isn't. I should have locked it up or put it in the garage I guess you get what you get. I had never ridden it, was going to give it to a friend's kid actually. I only ad $50 in the purchase, but still. I want a 3 speed Dutch style bike to ride to and from the grocery. Everything except pot, booze, 7-11, and CVS are at least 1 mile away. I figure I can get one with a trailer and my Dane can jog next to me and sit with the bike while I run in. As it is, when we walk anywhere I don't usually take him in. He is well behaved, but he is 125lbs. I am trying to be less of a self-serving and entitled prick so I haven't been taking him in places and we both miss out on exercise as a result.

That foot thing is something that isn't mentioned and should be. I don't know anything about long-term effects, but I was a 13EE forever now I am sporting 12s. Finally decided to do Ariat long britches. Been 2 decades since I've owned jeans. I am in a 30x30 and my shorts are 29" so I am probably a 28" waist if I wasn't tucking a 45ACP.

I'm Italian, Cajun , and poor so rice was always a staple as is pasta and breads. I am lucky that I am not too short. I am on 2300 calories a day and that is supposed to net -1 pounds a week. This means I can eat a TON of food still and do. I ate all but 700g of a 90oz lasagna just a couple days ago. I don't buy any of the cheap (used to be $1 a loaf) breads. If I am eating bread I make it or it is fancy.

I live super close to work and would consider jogging, but I don't need extra exercise on work days. It really is as far to my truck parking spot as it is to my house. .4 miles home .2 miles to the truck. If I didn't work 12 hour days and we had sidewalks be no reason to drive really. HUGE interstate though that I would have to cross under and it is dark at least 60% of the year when I go in/out.

That wind on a bike can be brutal. These Dutch style bikes look more like what we call girl bikes here. 1-3 gears. Upright position for riding visibility. Usually have fenders and a hitch. I am going to be looking for one. That will almost assuredly end my driving to work, which I have been averaging barely 9MPG due to idling and such. I have a car that gets better MPG, but it isn't even worth the hassle of pulling in and out of the garage each day.

I don't know where this was going.

It was a journey. I didn't speak to many about it. I really thought I'd get some people here a bit more interested. Seems like PFF has really lost its' flair. I rarely visit anymore either, so I get it. I just knew I didn't want to be a guy who talked and talked and never did. I also knew the life and path I was living was getting to be unmanagable. I'll be 40 eventually and never been in shape. I'm still not, but I can at least hold my own.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see the update and the positive progress.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really great progress- both you and MJ...Keep up the good work- and...Don't forget; Now you SUBTRACT a year for each birthday! (I keep trying- hope to see some benefit soon)
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not out in a field. That was the yard on one side of the house.

This is actually a pretty good deal on a Dutch bike. About 1/2 price. You know Dutch bikes are heavy..right?
I HAVE to have gears here because of the terrain, and good brakes.

https://austin.craigslist.o...tyle/7576063075.html

These would work for what you want to do.. but IMO, Schwinn is not the bike we knew in our youth. (Jane's is a Schwinn, bought the same day I bought mine and I've had to replace just about every moving part on it)

https://austin.craigslist.o...ikes/7579491240.html

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-19-2023).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2023 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Not out in a field. That was the yard on one side of the house.

This is actually a pretty good deal on a Dutch bike. About 1/2 price. You know Dutch bikes are heavy..right?
I HAVE to have gears here because of the terrain, and good brakes.

https://austin.craigslist.o...tyle/7576063075.html

These would work for what you want to do.. but IMO, Schwinn is not the bike we knew in our youth. (Jane's is a Schwinn, bought the same day I bought mine and I've had to replace just about every moving part on it)

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with my $50 Scwinn. I don't prefer things being stolen from me though.

I had no clue the Dutch bikes were that pricey, but that's almost exactly what I'm thinking I want. I'll be doing a solid amount of research when I get ready to buy one. I kind of think I want a 3 speed. Aa a kid I never used most of my gears on my 15/18 bikes. I would go from very low to full gears. I don't think I'll be traveling tenth distance to really use the gears now either. I think single front cog is really my need though as I'd certainly shift up and down 1-3/1-7.

Was just joking about the field. .

Really didn't expect the bike to be that much. Was thinking $500 for a basic one.

Edit
Your second link is almost perfect for what I'm wanting. That's what I'll be on the lookout for.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 01-20-2023).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2023 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Schwinn is not the bike we knew in our youth. (Jane's is a Schwinn, bought the same day I bought mine and I've had to replace just about every moving part on it)

Found that out the last time I bought one. Lotsa "Brand-name" items are "utter crappola", as a cow might say.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock