Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Man, age 57, heart transplant; donor, genetically modified pig; in Baltimore.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Man, age 57, heart transplant; donor, genetically modified pig; in Baltimore. by rinselberg
Started on: 01-12-2022 08:23 AM
Replies: 7 (98 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-12-2022 10:13 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already know what some of you are thinking. It was my first thought. The transplant patient's name is David Bennett, Sr.

Pig hearts have been transplanted successfully into baboons by Dr. Muhammad Mohiuddin, a professor of surgery at University of Maryland School of Medicine . . .

Of course, that's just a name. Dr. Muhammad Mohiuddin. And as far as I know, Dr. Muhammad Mohiuddin hasn't received a heart or any other organ from a pig.

I got that from the New York Times article. Dr. Muhammad Mohiuddin is named as one of the researchers who is developing this approach, known as cardiac xenotransplantation, but I see no indication that he was part of the team that did the transplant surgery.

Pig tissues are commonly used for humans with heart valves in need of repair. But an entire heart from a pig--this is groundbreaking.

"Man gets genetically altered pig's heart transplant in first-of-its-kind procedure"

Man was so sick he could not qualify for human heart transplant before groundbreaking operation in Baltimore
Shiv Sudakhar for Fox News; January 11, 2022.
https://www.foxnews.com/hea...art-first-transplant

There's a longer report, lurking behind a paywall, although you may be able to get it as a "freebie."

"In a First, Man Receives a Heart From a Genetically Altered Pig"
Roni Caryn Rabin for the New York Times; January 10, 2022.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...ant-pig-bennett.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-12-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2022 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He shouldn't have taken those covid shots, then maybe his heart would've been ok.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

He shouldn't have taken those covid shots, then maybe his heart would've been ok.

I read the entire article three times to ensure I didn't miss any mention of COVID vaccination.
Nothing mentioned so, either you know something we don't, have another source or are making another unfounded statement. I have my doubts about the first two options.

Rams
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...and he went "weee weee weee weee" all the way home.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

...and he went "weee weee weee weee" all the way home.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I read the entire article three times to ensure I didn't miss any mention of COVID vaccination.
Nothing mentioned so, either you know something we don't, have another source or are making another unfounded statement. I have my doubts about the first two options.

Rams

Of course there's no basis in fact for his comment. He's so obsessed with the anti-vax mentality, that he can't help himself.
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2022 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys should check out a thing called "humor".

All the other kids are doing it.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

You guys should check out a thing called "humor".

All the other kids are doing it.

Yeah. My bad. Funny AF. Gotcha.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock