Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Art Appreciation, the classics. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Art Appreciation, the classics. by Valkrie9
Started on: 12-27-2021 01:51 PM
Replies: 41 (648 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 01-05-2023 09:06 PM
Valkrie9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Jan Vermeer, circa 1665 ad.
Famous Paintings
Wonderful creativity, brilliant !
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Valkrie9" reminds me of a former Pennock's forum member who was banished by the forum's moderator and owner, not all that long ago.

The resemblance in terms of the messaging is not so close as to make me think that "Valkrie9" is that same person, reincarnated (so to speak) with a new screen name.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
He wasn't banished (banned) because of a proclivity for creating unusual or "out of the blue" Topics, though. Like this Art Appreciation topic.

Just to be clear.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Jan Vermeer, circa 1665 ad.
Famous Paintings
Wonderful creativity, brilliant !

I saw this, and many others at both Maritshuis and the Van Gogh museum. The French like to talk about how the renaissance is all about them, but the Dutch have as many famous painters as the French do. Rembrandnt, Van Gogh, etc., and of course... Jan Vermeer.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not "the classics", but no one will be surprised that my favorite artists are from the early- to mid-twentieth century.

M.C. Escher

Neon Park

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

' I didn't say Giraffe, I said Carafe ! '
Overheard on the Hotel's switchboard, circa 1972.
Laugh.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Perhaps you recognize the sharp dressed man, ran a heavy machine company up here in Scarberia, an avid golfer, fitness buff, pilot, diver.
Former undersea welder, gas and oil exploration, made and did it all, a super achiever, a Scot.
Working with him was a great experience, no bs, zero tolerance for pseudo intellectuals, those posturing imbeciles, the fakes.
vangoghmuseum_nl

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I saw this, and many others at both Maritshuis and the Van Gogh museum.
The French like to talk about how the renaissance is all about them, but the Dutch have as many famous painters as the French do.
Rembrandnt, Van Gogh, etc., and of course... Jan Vermeer.

Strange that some humans are incapable of appreciating the works of man, describing their world, with color.
I've been enamored with the Pearl Girl since I first saw her in the '50s, my young school teacher resembled her,
and why I posted her, the yt catching my attention for the first time today.
Amazing.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"Valkrie9" reminds me of a former Pennock's forum member who was banished by the forum's moderator and owner, not all that long ago.

The resemblance in terms of the messaging is not so close as to make me think that "Valkrie9" is that same person, reincarnated (so to speak) with a new screen name.

Glad someone else notices this.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-27-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I kind of thought the same thing... the messaging seems interesting and rather wild. What former user was that?

The Pythagorean's theorem is an interesting choice for an avatar... but can't say mine is oddly unique either.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not mean to insinuate anything negative about Valkrie9, who is topping the charts of late, in terms of posting activity in the Off Topic section.

He is eclectic in his range of topics. That reminds me of Boondawg. But beyond that--his style--not Boondawg.
PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Thomas Crown Affair
My Fake Picasso
The mind of Pablo.
Depending on yours, describe what you interpret is true.

!
!
03/31/22
Twelve year old kid at the gallery: ' Mom, why does the girl have a pee-pee on her head ? '
...........................................Mom : ' Well, like all women, she has coque on the brain....umm..love on the brain ! '
Go ahead,
look at the painting and try to reinterpret Picasso's ulterior motive, and an insight into his matador's reputation.
Ole !

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 08-19-2022).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

Facial Recognition SW, from '94, a movie that I saw, once.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30 years ago I was in a poster shop and saw a poster of a beautiful painting....I bought it and a few years later was able to go to a showing of the artist's works...I had a picture taken of me standing in front of the original painting (And was then told "No flash photography" and felt bad)

The painter is Albert Bierstadt....He was painting at the very beginning of the photographic era; The paintings had become excruciatingly realistic.....But when Anyone could take a photo, the Impressionist era began, so for years his paintings were actually looked upon with disdain.

One painting of his that I saw was of a river bank; Trees overhead cast their shadow on the surface of the river- And on the river BOTTOM! To this day I cannot understand what I saw but it left me in awe of his ability.

Here is the original painting that got me hooked- "Among the Sierra Nevada, California";

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-28-2021).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Realism.
Incredible skills, and to this day still amazes viewers at the artist's ability to move what they see, into, onto a flat canvas.
At the time, his works were not believed, some denying such places could exist in reality, incredulous.
A natural cathedral, the clouds billowing in an exhilarating sky, makes you consider the divine purpose.
The Pearl Girl is a singular masterpiece 356 years later, Verneer has done many others, the Girl in the Red Hat is another I like.
Light, Water and Sky: The Paintings of Ivan Konstantinovich Aivazovsky
The Book on the Coffee table at the office, worth every penny, or, you could travel there to see them live, St Petersburg.

Palace Square, 2, St Petersburg, Russia, 190000
They're better live.

Informative Documentary
Drawn to Yellowstone

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 01-07-2022).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2022 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

!
Vanishing Vermeers
Fake Vermeers
Van Gogh's Guardian
Break out your crayons, then, draw what you imagine.
You too can possibly be famous and adored !

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2022 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Here is the original painting that got me hooked- "Among the Sierra Nevada, California";

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I'm not religious at all, but to me that image is biblical in its wonder.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2022 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The French like to talk about how the renaissance is all about them,.

The French like to talk about how EVERYTHING and all of history is all about them....

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-06-2022).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2022 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

October 17, 1777 General Burgoyne Surrenders to General Horatio Gates, Saratoga.
Why, if the French hadn't helped you out in 1775, you all would be speaking German !
uber alles

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2022 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

!
PAINTED PERFECTION
!
A lifetime of art appreciation, I can distinctly remember seeing my first Maxfield Parrish in the early '50s, the vid's opening image.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2022 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG! This lady has a penis growing out of her chin!!!
PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2022 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

!
So, you see why Michelangelo's work was, is, so astounding, an incredible amount of labor without error.
It's colossal !

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2022 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not classic by any definition in regards to this thread title but art I vividly remember from days gone by--before pasteboard boxes replaced wooden crates and their great labels.

But, from those came the inspiration for:
2 words
Ben Sakoguchi

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2022 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^

Art for commerce, customer image association for repeat sales, marketing.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2022 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Johnny Depp
Break out your crayons too !

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2022 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2022 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Johnny Depp
Break out your crayons too !

From one of the comments below the article...

How to break the internet with an art sale:

• Download photo from internet
• Posterize in PhotoShop
• Print out large posters at Staples
• Scribble and splash finger paint on poster
• Sign poster
• Frame
• Put on internet for sale

I put Johnny's image of Elizabeth Taylor (which is basically a modified copy of a Warhol image) into my AI program and came up with my own image.
Bidding to start at $500,000

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2022 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meet James Ensor

Meet James Ensor,
Belgium's famous painter.
Dig him up and shake his hand,
Appreciate the man!

*na-na-na-naaa*

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 12-15-2022).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2023 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG! This lady has a penis growing out of her chin!!!

Okay. I feel vindicated.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2023 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40686 posts
Member since Oct 1999
We went, last week, to view the Claude Monet exhibit in the Atlanta art center.
It was interesting. Not really my thing, but interesting, nonetheless.
Last year there was a similar exhibit, featuring Vincent Van Gogh, elsewhere in town.
Both exhibits were well done, featuring original paintings, 360 degree videos in another room, and VR, in yet another.

I would like to see a similar display for the work of Roger Dean. (Think "Yes" album covers.)

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2023 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2023 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

https://all3dp.com/3d-biopr...ar-vincent-van-gogh/

They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2023 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Starry Night
Starry Starry Night
I'll paint the remaining ear.

Resembles Lee Van Cleef, of movie fame.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2023 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really enjoyed reading Edgar Rice Burroughs stories. Not really into Tarzan, but I liked the Mars/John Carter series and Venus series....My favorite though was "At the Earth's Core" (Do NOT watch the "movie"- it is absolute crap!!!) and the first sequel, "Pellucidar"...

Anyway, lots of illustrations in the books, but there was a famous illustrator who concentrated on ERB; Frank Fazetta...Here is a couple of examples;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-03-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2023 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Princess of Mars
The Art History Archive Fantasy Art
The demand is there for an animation artist to portray Frank's women in action, R and X rated, make a few million.
A storybook writer's new meaning in life, plot lines placed in significant historical timelines, say, 15th century Romania,
or perhaps Mars in the late 19th, steampunk tripping.
... yes, yes, it is art.

A poster for the blockbuster movie to be made in the future, Frank Frazetta's art concepts.

:lightbulb!:

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 01-03-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2023 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
because in the future, when the universe is full of high tech flying fighting machines and the men are armored head to toe, women will be dressed like 2 bit whores flaunting their wares under a Chicago lamp post...
who the heck thinks up this **** ?

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2023 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

' Prohibition Perks ' by Jeffrey Sparr.

Scantily clad women of the future, when there will be no, uh, art censorship as in the past.
As in the past, the planet will be much warmer and far, far greener !
Artists thought it up, like other science fiction dreamers, futurist imagineers, planners, designers.
Those are not men, they are robots.

' Fly ? That will never fly ! '
~ The Wright Brother's neighbor, watering a cow, holding a shovel.
It was in the mid '60s when I first noticed Frazetta's artwork, a few movie ads.
Naturally interested in the human forms he painted, their physiques, and uh, uh, uh... shapes.
See, it is not real, is it an impressionist's depiction of the light bending, bouncing, to the viewer's eyes.
What the viewer thinks they see is determined by what they think is true, or not, the information received and processed, mentally.
Art critic courses are available at local colleges, learning what art is, paint, mediums, color, light.
All the relevant truth that Frank learned at age eight, in '36.

I am still puzzled by some art, and ideas, like, piercings and other self mutilations, makes me wonder what they think.
Must be the drugs and ignorance, right ?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2023 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since this thread has strayed into fantasy and advertising "art", I have to say that the following ad just cracked me up.
(no pun intended)

There is so much that could be read into this.

It reminds me of a story Tab Benoit told on stage about how his rent-a-car didn't have a CD player. It was absolutely hilarious, but even if I could remember it, I couldn't tell it on a family forum.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-04-2023).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2023 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MJ and Will, those illustrations are not of the future, but of "Another world" with different creatures and societies. And, Frank Frazetta added his own ideas to his art work, above and beyond ERB stories

Here is a couple of illustrations from the original book, "At The Earth's Core";

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-04-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2023 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock