Started on: 12-24-2021 04:31 AM
Replies: 22 (342 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 12-28-2021 11:20 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which way does the horse move?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UdaBoLpns
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The horse was moon walking.

I always was intrigued by old cowboy movies, and some auto shows, in which the wheels seemed to be going to opposite direction that one knew they should be going.

Merry Christmas Fiero Rumor !
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone sees it going forward you need to put down the crack pipe.

Edit: Merry Christmas from China. It's the 25th already here.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 12-24-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The horse is named Yanny.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2 horses I posted the picture of were the infamous horses with no name.
(Here at PFF, maybe one or 2 at the most will know what that picture really is. I've only seen it once in my lifetime and it was a different species of mammal)
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1878 Eadward Muybridge
Reality, that which is true. Amazing film work of the 19th century, simply brilliant !
Fake video, not so much, obviously.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one curious about the bones I pictured? Even a little?
They are likely, not what you may think.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rhinoceros fossils.
A flat out guess, as I am not a paleontologist, though I have imbibed several Canadian Beers.
Sir Arthur Keith (1866-1955)
Grand Geometric Plan
Further...
Brasserie Unibroue
Blonde Chambly
I do advocate the fine beers of Chambly, ' bien boire '.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, They are definitely modern day Thoroughbred horse bones and not fossilized but instead, are from a mummified set of twin foals of a horse in Georgia USA . Twinning in horses is pretty rare, about 1 in 10,000. Successful live birth even more rare.

In most cases, death of a young fetus in the uterus results in the developing but deceased fetus being aborted (expelled). You rarely find it with cattle or horses and the mother goes back to cycling and (in cattle) is bred again. With horses, since breeding is a bit different (few people keep a stallion with their mares year round) if the fetus is barely developed, a varmint will usually drag the aborted fetus off.
But, sometimes (in both equine and bovine) the fetus is not expelled, especially if the fetus is near full term/fully developed.
1 of 2 things happens.

1.An infection occurs and the owner becomes aware of it because of a foul looking and smelling discharge and the rotten fetus has to be removed piece by piece. I have done this ONCE with a cow. It is a horrible experience. The odor is overpowering and ob saw wire is used internally to cut legs and head off. You are working by feel, thru the vaginal canal of a live un-sedated animal and there is not a lot of room to do anything.

2. The fetus is not expelled and the mother's reproduction system begins to absorb the fetal soft tissue and liquids and then begins to encase the hide, hair and bones in calcium based scar tissue. It's fetal mummification in uterus a process that takes weeks to complete and when done, will be a dark, leathery looking mass. The mother will not breed back but may carry the mummified fetus for years.

In the case of the horse bones, a new owner had the mare checked by a vet as was routine for any new animal and the mummified fetal remains were discovered. It was twins, as you can see by the number of leg bones and ribs, and it took a team of 3 vets most of the day working in shifts to get all the bones and mummified skin out. The heads had to be cut up tho most of the skulls were in pieces anyway, which is the reason for only a few recognizable jaw pieces but what is there, clearly shows how far along development was as you can see the teeth coming in. The mother survived, and is a fine looking animal. This happened within the last 24 months.

Tho very rare today because of modern medicine, the same thing can and has happened with humans, but usually only in under developed countries or because the mother was afraid of the medical procedure needed to remove the deceased fetus.
The latter reason was the case fo this one, (from India) and the mummified remains were carried by the mother for 36 years.

https://www.sciencedirect.c...ii/S2210261214003253

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-26-2021).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one has seen it walking forwards, right?
PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ef Mee !
I'm over here by the split rail fence hurling ! Gack !
I had no idea a veterinarian had to perform such operations.
I briefly dated a jumping rider in the '70s, went riding on a huge blonde mare with a mind of it's own.
The creature had no means of steering !
Happily, someone grabbed the reins.
I had the distinct feeling that the horse was playing me. lol.
A s I began my walk back up the pasture from the creek, a few hundred yards, she looked at me and cut a big fart, whinnied.
lol.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

No one has seen it walking forwards, right?

I don't think you CAN see it walking forward. The front legs are bending in the opposite direction in the video. It's clearly being played in reverse.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2021 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
The horse was moon walking.

I always was intrigued by old cowboy movies, and some auto shows, in which the wheels seemed to be going to opposite direction that one knew they should be going.
Just stroboscoping. Wheel rotation and related "problems" is cause by shutter speeds and types.

And wheels can easily change directions or stand still as speeds change.
Standard "Movie format" is 24fps so can strobe and stand still wheel matching that and 48 and other harmonics.
But now you have "Rolling shutter" etc and have more weird "problems."
Example: Many Prop Airplanes have bent props when running/flying and "taped" using most phones and many other digital cameras.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

Ef Mee !
I'm over here by the split rail fence hurling ! Gack !
I had no idea a veterinarian had to perform such operations.
I briefly dated a jumping rider in the '70s, went riding on a huge blonde mare with a mind of it's own.
The creature had no means of steering !
Happily, someone grabbed the reins.
I had the distinct feeling that the horse was playing me. lol.
A s I began my walk back up the pasture from the creek, a few hundred yards, she looked at me and cut a big fart, whinnied.
lol.

Not just veterinarians. As a cattleman, I have pulled more than a few calves myself (living mostly) , but a couple dead ones as well and have palpated cows to see if they were bred or open. (open means not pregnant) Dehorned, castrated, branded, have used trocars, relieved bloat, tube fed, and just about anything else needed to raise cattle.
As you can guess, I live in a very different world than most of the people here at PFF.
The view out my back window:

OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, pulling calves can be hard work. I never had much to do with horses though. I had no clue what your bones were.

Merry Christmas,

Marc
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

Yes, pulling calves can be hard work. I never had much to do with horses though. I had no clue what your bones were.

Merry Christmas,

Marc

Was pretty sure the bones were from a four-legged animal but, the multiple examples and lack of comparative scale left me confused, never considered the twins option.
I've pulled or helped pull calves, sheep and one horse colt. It ain't easy especially if the newborn is breached (hind end first), turning one around isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Ended up calling the Vet out for that one.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 12-27-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Erector set for pre-historic people!
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not just veterinarians. As a cattleman, I have pulled more than a few calves myself (living mostly) , but a couple dead ones as well and have palpated cows to see if they were bred or open. (open means not pregnant) Dehorned, castrated, branded, have used trocars, relieved bloat, tube fed, and just about anything else needed to raise cattle.
As you can guess, I live in a very different world than most of the people here at PFF.

Aren't you moving? I didn't do a search, but I thought I recalled an "all packed" thread?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am indeed moving but not as quickly as I had previously hoped to.
'it's complicated..'
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those two paints would appear to make a nice team. Hard to tell if they are the same size from this pic.

Rams

PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2021 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

'it's complicated..'

'Tis life.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2021 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Those two paints would appear to make a nice team. Hard to tell if they are the same size from this pic.

Rams

Not compatible, one is a true American paint breed, the other a gypsy cob/gypsy vanner.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock