Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  A 'lit' Neil deGrasse Tyson joins MSNBC's Ari Melber. Asteroid mission. And Elon Musk

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A 'lit' Neil deGrasse Tyson joins MSNBC's Ari Melber. Asteroid mission. And Elon Musk by rinselberg
Started on: 11-24-2021 07:43 PM
Replies: 10 (246 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 11-27-2021 11:12 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the YouTube, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It might become available on MSNBC's YouTube channel in the next few hours. But maybe not.

I've not ever seen Neil deGrasse Tyson quite like that, before. Seems like he's starting his Thanksgiving holiday early. Whatever he was having before he went on air, in the split screen, conversing with Ari Melber . . . Neil deGrasse Tyson was "loose." Very relaxed. Like a couple of cocktails or "vino's" relaxed. I say a "couple." That's all it would take to get me to that state. I don't know about Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
"If the dinosuars had a space program to deflect that asteroid, they'd still be here."

Ari Melber
"A shoutout to the dinosaurs. They didn't have a space program, but they were good at other things, I guess, like hunting."

Neil deGrasse Tyson
[Laughing.]

They started with NASA's DART or Double Asteroid Reduction Test mission. They showed the liftoff. Towards the end, they got onto Elon Musk and how Elon Musk has been talking up this idea that what we perceive as the fundamental reality of our universe is more than likely some other civilizations' metaverse, and we are all AI-controlled, self-aware characters or avatars (I guess) that exist in some kind of grand, all encompassing "Cosmos" game that is being played by the creators of our metaverse.

I think I'm using the currently accepted lingo here. Metaverse. Virtual universe. "We're living in a simulation." A Cosmos game. Whatever.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-24-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit of Neilism? Perhaps he was on de Grasse?
Hey, the dinosaurs got stoned, no?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-24-2021).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it.
https://youtu.be/GTtWIIyKJXg?t=2000

It should set up a 42-minute YouTube video at 33:20 after the start. It's the last segment of today's "The Beat with Ari Melber" and runs from 33:20 all the way (nearly) to the end, just past 41:00. Minutes and seconds, of course. So it's 8 minutes of conversation for the whole enchilada.

He was 'lit' I tells ya' . . . absolutely 'lit' . . .

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-27-2021).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factoid

If the DART mission goes according to plan, there will be almost 7 (6.8) million miles of distance, from the Earth, to the asteroid, when the DART impactor collides with the asteroid at a closing speed of approximately 15,000 mph. That's 15,000 mph, not 15.000 mph.

"NASA Launches New Mission: Crash Into Asteroid, Defend Planet Earth"

The Double Asteroid Redirection Test spacecraft, launched on Wednesday, could be the first to alter an asteroid’s path, a technique that may be used to defend the planet in the future.

Joey Roulette (think about that) for the New York Times; November 24, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...ission-asteroid.html

Very comprehensive news report.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-25-2021).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no question he was definitely a bit.....off. It's kind of funny to see a scientist/smart guy who is well respected being....zoned out a bit.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
There is no question he was definitely a bit.....off. It's kind of funny to see a scientist/smart guy who is well respected being....zoned out a bit.

He was off his scientist game, but on his Thanksgiving holiday celebrant game.

This was 6pm Eastern Time on the day before Thanksgiving.

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't the guy just a director? He isn't a research scientist, right? He oversees function of the place including construction. He's a public presenter for the place, right?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well . . . I wasn't being all that exacting when I said "scientist."

Checking up on his Curriculum Vitae at the Hayden Planetarium's website--which might be easier for me, seated in front of a desktop system with a separate keyboard and mouse, than for someone using a mobile phone--not sourmash, necessarily, but maybe--Neil deGrasse Tyson was awarded a Doctorate in Astrophysics in 1991 from Columbia University, where he was involved in research about the Galactic Bulge. Since so much of this kind of research is actually the work of graduate and post-graduate students, it's fair to say that he was doing science or science'ing, prior to and during 1991.

A "quasi-scientist"..?

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
Now I don't "Got it."

That link to the video of Neil deGrasse Tyson on "The Beat with Ari Melber" is no longer functional. I can't find another such link. Bummer.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found it on Youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsocdgJgy64

Neil has actual degrees in Physics and Astronomy....
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I found it on Youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsocdgJgy64

Neil has actual degrees in Physics and Astronomy....

Thanks! I enjoyed that. That's Neil deGrasse Tyson on the same day--Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving--but on a different show on a different network. So he did at least two on-air broadcasts that day.

He seemed just as "lit" on CNN, as he was on MSNBC.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock