Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Biden admin could fight inflation by axing tariffs on China imports, but . . .

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Biden admin could fight inflation by axing tariffs on China imports, but . . . by rinselberg
Started on: 11-22-2021 04:28 AM
Replies: 19 (266 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 11-25-2021 03:17 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Biden administration could try to tamp down on inflation by reducing or eliminating tariffs on U.S. imports from China, but . . .

CNN's John Harwood talks "but" . . .

"The inflation-fighting step Biden has yet to take"
John Harwood for CNN Politics; November 21, 2021.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11...a-tariffs/index.html

"One of the top 100 online media news reports you should read today"

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-22-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While that tactic would slow inflation, it would only strengthen our dependence on China, Our current inflation issues are being driven by all the free money the Dems are giving away.
Employers have openings and no one wants to fill them. Why work when you can get what you need for free..
Some of our inflation issues are being driven by "supply chain" issues. Those issues could be resolved fairly quickly if, some of our ports would allow free trade and competition but, that state has decided they are more important than the rest of the states. They wonder why they get so little respect.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-22-2021).]

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, stop printing money as if there are no consequences. It amazes me when our politicians try to come up with a creative solution to a problem they made.

Tennessee has no state income tax. A former pos Republican governor tried to push through an income tax in his last days in office. He kept saying we need to raise revenue. He never once said we need to spend less. Needless to say the next Governor was a Democrat. Tennessee is not a blue state.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Common sense anyone?

Originally posted by blackrams:

While that tactic would slow inflation, it would only strengthen our dependence on China, Our current inflation issues are being driven by all the free money the Dems are giving away.

Originally posted by Hudini:

Seriously, stop printing money as if there are no consequences. It amazes me when our politicians try to come up with a creative solution to a problem they made.

Creative..and agenda promoting.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the plan to become independent is to sell completely out to another country.
"I want stuff now and I want it to be cheep" "I don't understand why it broken after a year"
I need better prices because I lost my job due to someone in China is doing it now.

Suck it up and move manufacturing back to the states, stop being dependent on other countries and build back better here and not in China.

does that even mean "build back better" Dementia or stroke?

Stop being part of the problem and find a solution or get out of the way and let someone else drive the bus.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 11-23-2021).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well.. Biden put us behind the Middle East 8 ball, I'm sure he'd love to put us behind the Chinese 8 ball as well. Hmm what can he mess up with Russia while he is still alive / in office?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Biden authorized the release of 50 million barrels of crude from the strategic petroleum resrves on the Gulf Coast.
US consumption in 2020 was the lowest since 1995, but At the US 2019 's 19.5 million bb/d consumption rate, 50 million barrels of SPR crude will last about 2 1/2 days. The effect on pump price of motor fuels will barely be noticable if at all.
This is a White House PR stunt.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-23-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I don't know anything about the oil industry. But does it make any sense to shut down production, then tap into our strategic reserve?

Will lowering tariffs on cheap imports put Americans back to work?

Am I really that stupid? (OK, don't answer that.)
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

OK, I don't know anything about the oil industry. But does it make any sense to shut down production, then tap into our strategic reserve?

Will lowering tariffs on cheap imports put Americans back to work?

Am I really that stupid? (OK, don't answer that.)

What production shutdown are you referring to?

Imported goods tariffs and domestic crude oil production have little to do with one another.

https://www.forbes.com/site...till-out-of-balance/
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Click to show
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

What production shutdown are you referring to?

Imported goods tariffs and domestic crude oil production have little to do with one another.

https://www.forbes.com/site...till-out-of-balance/

I asked two separate questions which were unrelated outside of their economic topic. The second, regarding tariffs was in response to the thread topic.

The other, regarding oil production, relates to my understanding that Biden has put the brakes on new exploration, extraction and transportation of American oil. Am I wrong that we produce less now than we did under the previous administration? Do we now depend on foreign oil more than we did over the last few years?

(OK, I asked three questions. The third one was rhetorical.)

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-23-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19461 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Click to show

I kept clicking, but she wouldn't show them to me.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno about the Biden administration.

[From January 20 to October 31 of this year,] the Bureau of Land Management approved 3,091 new onshore drilling permits — permits it could have deferred, or on which it could have imposed more rigorous restrictions. That’s an average of 332 [new onshore drilling permits] per month, according to the [Bureau's] data, surpassing the number of approvals in the last three years of the Trump administration.

"[The Biden administration] is breaking a promise to block [oil and gas] drilling on public lands"
Adam Federman; in the Washington Post; November 19, 2021.
https://www.washingtonpost....a96e00fa3_story.html

That's just the numbers of new onshore drilling permits. So only one of the complex array of various pieces on the game board. A fact or factoid that may (or may not) provoke further discussion.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-23-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I asked two separate questions which were unrelated outside of their economic topic. The second, regarding tariffs was in response to the thread topic.

The other, regarding oil production, relates to my understanding that Biden has put the brakes on new exploration, extraction and transportation of American oil. Am I wrong that we produce less now than we did under the previous administration? Do we now depend on foreign oil more than we did over the last few years?

(OK, I asked three questions. The third one was rhetorical.)

There is NO shortage of crude ready to be produced. By that I mean, producing from wells already drilled or from drilling additional wells in already proven fields.
Yes, we produced more under previous administration right up until pandemic hit. Once it hit, and refined fuel demand (gasoline,diesel, jet fuel) dropped significantly the crude oil storage capacity was full and there was no where left to store excess produced oil. Gulf Coast tank farms were full for most of 2020 as was the big hub at Cushing OK. Production had to stop, unless you are in favor of just dumpiung it out on the ground...
Since no one is able to foretell the future or how much demand there will be months in advance, production remained low the first 6 months of 2021. Demand increased beginning around July 4 and production and transport to the hubs has yet to catch up with increased demand.
We are capable of producing more than we need from proven underground reserves, but not at the blink of an eye.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-24-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

The Biden administration could try to tamp down on inflation by reducing or eliminating tariffs on U.S. imports from China, but . . .

"The inflation-fighting step Biden has yet to take"
John Harwood for CNN Politics; November 21, 2021.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11...a-tariffs/index.html

"One of the top 100 online media news reports you should read today"

YOU EXPECT ME TO READ A NEWS MEDIA REPORT FROM A COMPANY WHICH WRITES WITH DULL CRAYONS AND CAN NOT COLOR WITHIN THE LINES ?

DO YOU DO ANY CRITICAL THINKING ?

WHAT IS THE MOST INFLATIONARY COST DRIVER ?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

There is NO shortage of crude ready to be produced. By that I mean, producing from wells already drilled or from drilling additional wells in already proven fields.
Yes, we produced more under previous administration right up until pandemic hit. Once it hit, and refined fuel demand (gasoline,diesel, jet fuel) dropped significantly the crude oil storage capacity was full and there was no where left to store excess produced oil. Gulf Coast tank farms were full for most of 2020 as was the big hub at Cushing OK. Production had to stop, unless you are in favor of just dumpiung it out on the ground...
Since no one is able to foretell the future or how much demand there will be months in advance, production remained low the first 6 months of 2021. Demand increased beginning around July 4 and production and transport to the hubs has yet to catch up with increased demand.
We are capable of producing more than we need from proven underground reserves, but not at the blink of an eye.

Thank you. Economics is not one of my strong points.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
YOU EXPECT ME TO READ A NEWS MEDIA REPORT FROM A COMPANY WHICH WRITES WITH DULL CRAYONS AND CAN NOT COLOR WITHIN THE LINES ?

DO YOU DO ANY CRITICAL THINKING ?

I'm confident that I will have a much clearer picture about the current inflation and inflationary trends, and how much of it is transitory, vs how much is structural and persistent--about a year from now.

"Hit me up" about it towards the end of 2022.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-24-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Originally posted by rinselberg:
I'm confident that I will have a much clearer picture about the current inflation and inflationary trends, and how much of it is transitory, vs how much is structural and persistent--about a year from now.
"Hit me up" about it towards the end of 2022.

The Biden admin could fight inflation by axing Federal gas taxes. Energy is required at every stage of anything price inflated. From production, powering producing facilities (lights, temperature control, equipment needs), making boxing and other packaging, shipping, warehouse facility needs, ... the list is endless. When all of that costs more, the customer pays those costs.

Speaking about taxes, every tax, produces inflation. So much so that money needs to be printed. Have you ever heard of the inflation tax ?

Did the Gooberment loans for college tuition lead to higher college costs ? Yes.

Gooberment causes inflation. Supply and Demand be damned. Competition reduces inflation. Gooberment regulation only makes it harder to compete.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit on the silly side, but...

If the government prints money on a whim, why does anyone need to pay taxes?

I know, I know....🤔
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First, because inflation reflects the huge surge in demand for durable goods, not the much slower growth in overall demand, a smaller Biden spending plan wouldn’t have made much difference. Even if demand had been a point or two lower, the rush to buy stuff as opposed to services would still have overwhelmed our logistical capacity.

Second, because inflation reflects bottlenecks rather than a general problem of too much money chasing too few goods, it should come down as the economy adjusts. Inflation hasn’t been as transitory as we hoped, but there is growing evidence that supply chains are getting unkinked, which should eventually provide some consumer relief.

Finally, even if inflation stays elevated for a while, do we really want to slow the whole economy because bottlenecks are causing some prices to rise? One way to describe the argument of inflation hawks is that they’re saying that we should eliminate hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of jobs because the docks at the Port of Los Angeles are congested. Does that make sense?

Now, matters would be quite different if we saw signs of a 1970s-type wage-price spiral. But so far we don’t. And for the time being, at least, policymakers should have the courage to ride this inflation out.

That's how it ended. Here's the entire Op-Ed, which is about double the amount of text that I duplicated here, with three data plots.

"Wonking Out: Going Beyond the Inflation Headlines"
Paul Krugman for the New York Times; November 19, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...my-supply-chain.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock