Need help choosing a video card for my computer by otakudude
Started on: 11-22-2021 12:43 AM
Replies: 10 (202 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 11-29-2021 09:45 PM
otakudude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to play World of Warcraft quite frequently but my video card died a little over a 1.5 years ago and had to stop. I've been using the onboard video ever since for my daily activities and while that will allow me to do most things I need, the onboard video has nowhere enough muscle to handle the graphics Warcraft currently requires.

Unfortunately, video cards are easily the subject I know least about when it comes to a computers components. Luckily, Blizzard has suggested a few video cards that will work well with the most recent release and should also be good for an expansion or two going forward.

What I really could use help with is advice on which one could be used with my motherboard. Admittedly, I know so little about video cards, I'm unsure if any of the suggested cards could fit into the slot on my motherboard or if only one could be used.

My desktop computer is more than a few years old at this point (10yrs? more?) and has a Gateway DX4870 motherboard. While a bit dusty, it was able to play Warcraft more than adequately up until the current expansion.

These websites have all the information about the system requirements including what video cards are supported by Blizzard and are recommended.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wo...-system-requirements

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/31372

[This message has been edited by otakudude (edited 11-22-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, now is not the time to buy a graphics card. Graphics cards that are supposed to retail for $400 are upwards of $1,400 right now. I'd hold off for a while.

If you want the better used card for what they recommend, the minimum would be an Nvidia GTX 760. If you want to spend slightly more, you could jump to an Nvidia GTX 960,970,or 980.

The issue will be the Gateway power supply. Some of these cards need a minimum of a 500 watt power supply in the PC. I believe the Gateway is 300 watts. I might be wrong so you may want to open the case and check the decal on the power supply.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-22-2021).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's an old PC, I wouldn't put anything very powerful in it as the pci-e slot and processor would bottleneck the GPU severely. I would assume you have the Gateway tiny power supply that rig originally came with as well.

Something like the GTX 1050 ti should be available new from stores and under $300 and will easily run WoW.

However if you were to upgrade and buy an entirely new PC with current generation CPU/Ram I'd recommend a different card, like an RTX 3060 TI as a minimum.. but that's going to run over $800-900+ just for the video card.

Crazy times we're in, inflation is out of hand!

otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Unfortunately, now is not the time to buy a graphics card. Graphics cards that are supposed to retail for $400 are upwards of $1,400 right now. I'd hold off for a while.

Damn, for that kind of money I'd rather save up and buy a brand new system!

The issue will be the Gateway power supply. Some of these cards need a minimum of a 500 watt power supply in the PC. I believe the Gateway is 300 watts. I might be wrong so you may want to open the case and check the decal on the power supply.

I believe I upgraded the power supply when we put the SSD in a few years ago. I'll pop it open tomorrow and see what's in there

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10 years is a lot of age. 8th and 9th gen Core I are great bang for buck. Just build or buy. Woot had an excellent deal the other day. Eventually you'll penalty have to go to Windows 11. SSD m.2 only. You can use it as just a boot or not be a cheapskate. Your choice. DDR4 and GDDR5. GPU are out of sight right now.

All I got for you.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should look for a new computer

I would get the best you can afford as lower end systems don't last that long.
4 years ago I spent $1600 for my gaming rig and its still hanging in there with games released today.
Now they want that much or more for just the video card.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it's not helpful, but I've been looking for a video card for over a year now. I've got two complete systems built, but the shortage of cards has made the last part difficult to find... Without mortgaging the house.
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of good advice and information here. Prior to my OP post, I did not realize that the prices for video cards had reached such stratospheric heights and I'm kind of stunned at what I've learned.

I spoke with my brother and he believes my desktop is approx. 7-8 yrs old, not the 10+ I thought it was. Still, it's getting up there. Additionally, I opened up my case and confirmed I had switched out my power supply yrs ago when we put the SSD in. It's a Corsair CX600 which puts out 600 watts. If I do win the lottery and end up being able to afford one of the video cards you guys suggested, would I need to upgrade my power supply yet again or would what I have likely suffice?

Finally, in case I do decide to buy a new computer, how much should I be looking to spend? I know now that prices for the card are high and I'm assuming it's likely assembled systems are as well but with the holidays coming up and Black Friday upon us, would it be possible to find one sufficient to play Warcraft for under $500 (ideally)? $1000 perhaps?

Here are the recommended system requirements for the latest expansion. Thanks again for all your suggestions!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 8 GB
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
FREE DISK SPACE: 100 GB
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 8192 MB

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're going to drop a G to play WoW? I bought /built an SLI laptop years ago. I dropped 4k on it. Awful investment for sure, but money wasn't a concern. I can't imagine spending $1000 on a GPU for just WoW.
I don't have the right answer here. I know how much time WoW took from me. Cheap if you're factoring $/time, but man I wish I'd have used that time on learning a language or exercise or even working. Video games are fun, but that one really takes the time.

I miss it though. Played a Priest to 60 when classic redropped.
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

You're going to drop a G to play WoW?

It's not just for playing wow but to socialize a bit. I'm fairly housebound due to medical issues and live in farm country, both of which make it difficult,if not impossible, to establish and maintain RL friendships. I do have a couple of people I text with or chat on the phone for a few and while that can be enjoyable, it's not the same as actually doing something together with someone.

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I don't have the right answer here. I know how much time WoW took from me. Cheap if you're factoring $/time, but man I wish I'd have used that time on learning a language or exercise or even working. Video games are fun, but that one really takes the time.

Actually, my therapist that has been the one actively encouraging me to try and get back into wow. Since I really don't get out except for my monthly doctors visit, she's concerned that I spend too much of my time taking care of household tasks, working on eBay or whatnot and not enough relaxing or socializing in order to maintain a proper mental balance.

Also, it's true that it really can be the worlds worst time suck! There have been too many times where I sat down just to do a few dailies and before you knew it, seven hours had passed! lol

[This message has been edited by otakudude (edited 11-28-2021).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by otakudude:

Actually, my therapist that has been the one actively encouraging me to try and get back into wow. Since I really don't get out except for my monthly doctors visit, she's concerned that I spend too much of my time taking care of household tasks, working on eBay or whatnot and not enough relaxing or socializing in order to maintain a proper mental balance.

Also, it's true that it really can be the worlds worst time suck! There have been too many times where I sat down just to do a few dailies and before you knew it, seven hours had passed! lol

If it will help you mentally I'm all for it. Mental health is something I don't think we really have any concept of as people. I never liked Robin Williams, but he was wealthy beyond dreams, made millions laugh and smile. All that and still it was too much for him.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock