Started on: 11-17-2021 03:28 PM
Replies: 23 (313 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 12-01-2021 11:06 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I've been "removed" from a lot of the PC / hardware fun for a long time... specifically, I don't really know the difference between a lot of the new processors and architecture that's out there. I was thinking of upgrading my processor in my computer, and wanted to ask some questions.

Computer: Lenovo Legion T730-28ICO. It's a decent computer, basically a gaming computer, but I don't really play games. I do however do a lot of processing and video editing, which while not unreasonable, sometimes takes a little bit longer than I think I should. A 15 minute video takes almost 8 minutes to process.

The processor I currently have is this: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Now, I "think" that's an 8-core processor... and I'm seeing processors for sale that are also Core i9s that have upwards of 18 cores.

Like this 10 core... 3.7Ghz and 10 full cores: https://www.newegg.com/inte...0x/p/N82E16819118111
Or this insane 18 core: https://www.newegg.com/core...xe/p/N82E16819117966

Now, what I have isn't bad... but I'm thinking I probably cannot use any of these chips. I know there's different socket sizes, and I can't find anywhere what kind of socket size my Lenovo has. Maybe LGA-1511 or something, and the others says LGA 2044 or something, I don't know. I used to know this stuff better than anyone back in the 8088/286/386/486 and all through the Pentium era to P4... and then life, and I stopped paying attention.

Any thoughts?

Last question, I remember back in the day that many operating systems wouldn't even leverage the additional processors unless I was using a specific OS. Currently, I'm using Windows 10 Home, which is probably really lame. I have to assume / hope it's allowing me to use the full 8 cores, but I'm thinking of upgrading to PRO so I can use Hyper-V and other features.

Is there a difference between Pro and Workstation? I have no intentions of joining a domain, and I want an unconnected "NON MICROSOFT" account, like I have now (I just hit the "skip create Microsoft Account") which I know will one day no longer be a thing. Will Workstation allow me to use all full cores and get all the features, without having to be connected to a DC?

Thanks!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at their tech area, it seems the 9900K that you have is the fastest processor that you can install in that system. If you wanted to go with 12, 16, 32, or 64 cores, you'd need a new motherboard and possibly memory.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Looking at their tech area, it seems the 9900K that you have is the fastest processor that you can install in that system. If you wanted to go with 12, 16, 32, or 64 cores, you'd need a new motherboard and possibly memory.

Hahah... that sucks. I'm assuming that's because it's probably sharing the exact same motherboard with the models that use the Core i7? That's probably it... sigh... maybe they'll offer an upgrade chip in the near future that has more power.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I always ask
"What do you wanna run on it"?

or

"What aspect of your computing experience do you want to enhance/ improve upon?"

SO often, folks don't need the upgraded "brain side" hardware upgrade, they just need to clean house and toss in a SSD.

and maybe a newer video card...

I miss building "rigs". But I just don't NEED them. most of the stuff I'm working on doesn't require a beefy Machine...
and sometimes, I'll ask, "Woa, are those REAL"?!?

*poke poke*

woa.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 11-17-2021).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering where the bottleneck is in your system. That CPU is ranked 2nd for video editing so it should be flying through the editing process.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
your processor and your mboard are top notch. Look into m.2 raid bus cards for video manipulating. Upgrade to the fastest speed ram your mboard can handle. Ensure this specific ram is compatible with your board also. 32gb is more than enough because most programs cant work with sizes larger then that. I had this issue and it was a specific speed was not compatible with my board. Also look at a good video specific card but bit mining has destroyed the market for a reasonable video card price.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What software are you using to process the video?

Is your system "pegged" (CPU, Memory, both)

Are you using an external drive to store the video or render to?

Maybe its only using some of the cores?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What disk are you using HDD or SSD

I recently converted a couple of laptops and a desktop to SSD and it was night and day experience.
My desktop did have a small SSD that it used as a cache but the HDD was defiantly a bottle neck.
Games run better, opening files is faster and all of my boot delays are gone.

I was so excited by the improvement that I upgrade my laptop and my girlfriends laptop.
My laptop went from a messed up boot to almost as fast as my desktop.
I would never buy another computer with the OS on an HDD again.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 11-17-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys... I guess the reality is that I don't really NEED the computer to be faster, I was just hoping I could make it a little faster. But, new motherboard and processor basically means new computer to me... and with this being what it is, I definitely do NOT need to replace all of that. It's an OEM spec computer, so I can't replace the parts like I would a standard case or something that I built myself. It's a Lenovo and everything is custom. I'm happy with it.

To answer some of the questions, here's what I have:

RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1329MHz (19-19-19-43) ... can't remember if those speeds, or those latencies are good?

HD: 1 Terabyte SSD (my C: drive), and a 3 Terabyte SATA-3 platter drive. I do all the video editing and processing on the SSD and move everything to SATA-3 when I no longer need it (for backup). I have a NAS that I copy everything to also.

Graphics Processor: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (ZOTAC International) ... this graphics processor is actually quite good. I believe it's DDR5. The only thing better at the time I got it was the 2080... and I didn't bother so much.

Some of the things I run into...

When I have 4 UHD videos playing at the same time (e.g., I nest videos into a video that I'm making), it will slow down. When I use a slow-mo feature on one of the videos, I can see that it really taxes the video

I'm using NERO 2016 Video Editor, but I do have NERO 2022... I just don't use it.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Not really the end of the world, just hobby stuff... but if you're bored, appreciate any thoughts. I figure since I can't upgrade the processor, I'll just keep the computer as it is and maybe buy a new one in ~5 years and give this one to my wife.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Completely off topic, but I saw the thread title and thought about an on-line discussion with a thread title on another forum . I go to it every day & there is a current and ongoing thread with about the same title.

I thought "What a coincidence'
but it's a case of when 2 worlds collide..

The thread title:
What does your processor cost and which do you use?

Here's the opening post:

Custom $75 kill .89/lb HW
USDA $85 kill .95/lb HW, $650 minimum processing fee
USDA $100 kill .90/lb HW no minimum

Custom booked 4 mo out, both USDA 6-12 mo.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-17-2021).]

ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
m.2 PCIe not SATA3 SSD IS THE FASTEST THING IN H/D right now

your computer should have a m.2 PCIe slot OR A FREE PCIe slot if x16

the m.2 is about as big a bump in speeds over a SSD AS THAT was over a good spinner HD

SHOULD COST $100 OR 2 for a 1/2 or full T
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the RTX card, you should be flying through the editing.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-17-2021).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for sh*tz here

"The Chip That Could Transform Computing"
Farhad Manjoo for the New York Times; November 10, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/202...-microprocessor.html

EXCERPT

Early reviews for Apple’s new machines have been so rapturous — “the most powerful laptops we’ve ever seen,” “dramatically better than they have any business” being, “just generally absurd” — that I worried I’d only be let down when I got my hands on one and it proved to be as frustrating as all computers inevitably are.

I have not been let down. I’ve been bowled over. I’ve been using a new MacBook Pro with Apple’s fastest new chip, the M1 Max, for about two weeks, and I can’t remember the last time a laptop has wowed me like this. Actually, I don’t think a laptop has ever really wowed me, because it’s just a laptop.

"Apple to start program soon after the start of 2022 for customers who want to do their own repairs on Apple products, including iPhones and Macs."
Brian X. Chen for the New York Times; November 17, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...one-self-repair.html
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, "What processor do I get?" maybe the wrong issue...
May not even be a bottleneck on the MoBo or RAM... And many programs reporting X is "slow" often lies...

Example: Many "Memory problems" are really HD or SSD problems...

You said SSD 1TB But how much of that is "free space?"

Because Trim Command and other things need a lot of "free space" so SSD works best. (OS Version matters too because older OS may not support Trim and other features.)

SSD uses All "free space" all the time for Wear Leveling etc by the drive itself and why "free space" for SSD.
Unlike Spinning Rust HD that can write to exact same spot Many Millions of times and doesn't use Free Space except to start a new file or make something bigger.

So When SSD is tight on "free space" then will force Trim to run a lot and other issues slowing the whole system.
Worse if you have Windows Swap Files on SSD as slow writing and reading to the swap will slow down everything even more.

Most people have no clue how many Temp Files are Created, Changes, or Deleted just for a web browser in 1 day.
HD didn't care when a file is mod'ed/deleted but SSD writes the whole file every time to a new clean spot. No clean spot? Then the SSD makes you wait to clean a spot then writes.

Even worse when SSD has little or no Cache or files are big as often are w/ video editing and overflowing the cache on it. Look up Cache spec at drive maker site.

Either or both issues can make most SSD to crawl to slowest HD speeds or even slower then that.

When making new video...
Put input files on SSD, Output to another drive even an HD. You avoid writing and reading to same drive.

If possible... try input and output drives in separate channels as well...
Many SATA MoBo have 2 or more SATA controllers but most "desktops" has only 1.
But note that MoBo SSD ports can use same SATA controller as the rest, NVMe, PCIe or others.
Any type USB3 Drives can be almost as fast or faster as MoBo SATA ports.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-18-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I went ahead and parsed a video while I took some screenshots of CPU / Task Monitor... looks like NERO is using all 8 Cores / 16 Threads, and it's pretty much maxing them out. I was surprised to see this, I expected to see only half the cores being used or something to that effect, but looks like the software does use all available resources.

Ogre, as far as my SSD drive goes, about half of the drive is free. I use CC Cleaner almost daily to clean up a lot of fluff, and also use Disk Cleanup w/ System Features enabled to clean up all the other stuff. I generally run about half capacity on my SSD drive. I'm writing the completed product to the SSD drive, and most of the content files are on the magnetic storage drive... though it's not always the case, sometimes it's all done on the SSD, but everything eventually goes to the magnetic drive for storage after the videos are produced.

I'm not really complaining I suppose, just surprised. It takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes for the videos to be processed depending on how long they are. I can totally live with that...

(had to take two screenshots, so the right column is like 20 seconds delayed from the left column)

Also, MJ... that's great... hahah... meat processor...

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 11-18-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22527 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by ray b:

m.2 PCIe not SATA3 SSD IS THE FASTEST THING IN H/D right now

your computer should have a m.2 PCIe slot OR A FREE PCIe slot if x16

the m.2 is about as big a bump in speeds over a SSD AS THAT was over a good spinner HD

SHOULD COST $100 OR 2 for a 1/2 or full T

Thanks RayB... I just purchased Windows 10 Pro key, to upgrade from my Windows 10 Home... didn't even realize that I didn't have the full version.

In your opinion... is it worth it to go to the newer file systems? I haven't spent ANY time looking at them, but right now I'm using NTFS. There's the new ReFS, which I guess is not really that different, and appears to just be an optimization from the OS on RAID utilization. Is it worth it for me to use the new file system if I'm looking to swap out my hard drive anyway? I have an SSD now, but the cost has gone way down, and I can probably get something with less "miles on it" anyway.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, in addition to what I wrote about upgrading my ram to faster chips... what do I do about the power supply?

Apparently my computer only has a 500 Watt, and with everything it comes with, this is below the recommended amount for the graphics card. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 750 and found this for $99... would this fit?

https://www.newegg.com/evga...0w/p/N82E16817438060

I use the computer every day, so I would rather disconnect it and open it up just to check... so thought I'd ask everyone first. I assume standard ATX style power supplies will work across the board for ATX-style cases?

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I assume standard ATX style power supplies will work across the board for ATX-style cases?

They will as long as the factory PSU is not a "shorty" to fit some custom configuration inside the case, which I doubt. With that said, I'm 99% sure it should fit fine.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

They will as long as the factory PSU is not a "shorty" to fit some custom configuration inside the case, which I doubt. With that said, I'm 99% sure it should fit fine.

Awesome, thanks! Just ordered...
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The i8/9 is great band for buck. I buy certified 80+ PSU. Ota was claiming he had a 600 watt (in his thread) and I'm being his probably only puts out another 350-420. I'm big out the game myself. I'm not handling IT anymore so everything is now on my dime. It isn't financial woes it's prices are absurd.

GPU's are crazy. Mobile phones I was considered an idiot when I bought my Treo 600 and the Treo 650 for $600, now that only gets you a gen old used one, at best. Back then I was buying and selling phones KILLING it profit. I don't even fool with it now. Same as modified XBOX original with XBMC and then Firesticks XBMC turned into Kodi anti I just don't have time for it anymore.

I see people trying to sell their TVs when I have a local company selling them in box for cheaper than their used crap. The market is effed. I bought a 2006 Ford F250 no options in 2011 maybe. $8900. It is worth an easy 10k here now.

Quarantine easing my ass. Err I meant "stimmie".

Used to beta test for companies as I was considered an "insider" before Android Central. Which I was banned from a decade plus ago. Can't recall why...oh yeah, amateurs who think they know everything because YouTube made them an expert. Passes to the big expos and all kinds of crap.

Anyone looking I might have a line on a set of very decent laptops. I'm going to probably sell them at $200 to PFF if I buy them and $250 locally. 8GB with it and 128GB SSD. Not to hijack you Todd. Going to inspect them tomorrow

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 11-28-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, in addition to what I wrote about upgrading my ram to faster chips...
Make sure the "BIOS" is set right to match RAM speeds.

CPUz tells RAM speeds "burned into" the RAM sticks in SPD Tag.
a stick may support RAM "Turbo" (XMP) but most "BIOS" only uses JEDEC numbers by default.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2021 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the PSU and installed it. Everything went well... I had to re-wire everything, basically... but it's a much better power supply unit, and a lot of people had complained that this model of machine was underpowered (500 watt and it would come with an RTX 2080). I only have the 2070, but a couple of times when actually playing a game, the computer would just do a hard reboot. So, this should fix that...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2021 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just got the PSU and installed it. Everything went well... I had to re-wire everything, basically... but it's a much better power supply unit, and a lot of people had complained that this model of machine was underpowered (500 watt and it would come with an RTX 2080). I only have the 2070, but a couple of times when actually playing a game, the computer would just do a hard reboot. So, this should fix that...

So, I recently bought my daughter a Lenovo Legion T5 gaming PC (she hasn't gotten it yet, it's for Christmas). It's a newer version of my computer, but lower models. So it can eventually be upgraded to beyond what I have, but in it's present state, it has a lower processor, the 1660 Super RTX, and only 16gb of ram... but perfect for her. Anyway, THAT one came with a 400w power supply. So I took the 500w that I pulled out of my Lenovo Legion T730, and put that into her Lenovo Legion T5, fit right in, and belongs. So got two upgrades out of one! Woo hoo!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock