Started on: 11-07-2021 04:31 PM
Replies: 18 (330 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 11-24-2021 01:39 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1941 I believe. Not actually 'plastic' like we think of today and not really a spaceframe either but the caricature of one.

WW2 came along and that put a stop to any production of it.
I know who both the men in the picture are. The one in the dark coat is Robert Boyer, a chemist.
The man on the right is his boss ..you can guess.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-07-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guessed and was right, but it was because of your hint and the second picture.

I imagine crash survivability was not a consideration.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you read about the strength of the body that was added, survivability was perhaps enhanced significantly by the body. They would bend or flex under stress or impact but not break. (sound familiar?)
But, in those days, crash proof worthiness wasn't as big of an issue as it is today...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-07-2021).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure which company that is nor who....But I remember seeing Henry Ford whacking a plastic trunk lid with an axe way back when.

The 2nd car I was really intrigued with (After the Pantera) was the Bricklin SV-1 which had plastic body- sadly, the car was not well designed nor did it perform well.....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 11-07-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is Henry Ford standing beside the soybean/plastic car and his chief chemist Robert Boyer, The vehicle was originally planned to be made from hemp products but the govt banned hemp a few years previous.

There is a lot of discussion regarding the car, what happened to it and what it was really made from and who actually made it but it was pretty revolutionary for it's time.

The vehicle Ford is hitting with the ax was actually his personal car that had been fitted with a trunk lid made of the same material.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread. I have seen a few decent examples of the Bricklin, and had hoped that the whole “high-end” 3D printing revolution of 2015- would allow us to print our own cars… hasn’t really happened, sadly enough…

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12453 posts
Member since Jan 2012
But then again.. if I Google a little…

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

That is Henry Ford standing beside the soybean/plastic car ...

The Ford flathead V8 was the tip off. I have always loved those motors, though the only one I ever actually drove was in a Gerlinger forklift.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grew up working on flatheads, as my father had an auto shop and there were still plenty of them around in the early to mid 60s.
I hated the in lines, as setting the valves was a pain in the butt way down there thru those side covers and they were forever over heating and blowing head gaskets due to thin castings. 24 head bolts on each side, and the earlier ones had 21 studs. The only thing easy to get to on the v8 Ford was the generator and carb. and of course, that big old bypass oil filter that was always sludgy as hades.The water pumps on those old things was HUGE!

I'm probably one of the very few here on PFF that ever worked on a Pontiac straight 8, or a Packard straight 8.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-08-2021).]

OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I spotted the flatty in your picture. I also worked on a Pontiac straight 8 and a Packard straight 8. Both were in the shop that I worked in in the early 70's. The guy with Pontiac convertible planned on restoring it. We were hired to rewire it and rebuild the engine. I yanked the motor and tore it down. While the block and crank were at the machine shop, I rewired the car. We later were told that the crank cracked when they tried to straighten it due to being bent. We never found a crank while I was there. The 1954 Packard belonged to a regular customer who used it as a daily driver. I got to tune it up once. When I was finishing up the tune, I lowered the idle just to see how low it would go with out stalling. I had it down to 350 RPM and you still could have put a full glass of water on the head without spilling it. It was so smooth!

marc
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I grew up working on flatheads, as my father had an auto shop and there were still plenty of them around in the early to mid 60s.
I hated the in lines, as setting the valves was a pain in the butt way down there thru those side covers and they were forever over heating and blowing head gaskets due to thin castings. 24 head bolts on each side, and the earlier ones had 21 studs. The only thing easy to get to on the v8 Ford was the generator and carb. and of course, that big old bypass oil filter that was always sludgy as hades.The water pumps on those old things was HUGE!

I'm probably one of the very few here on PFF that ever worked on a Pontiac straight 8, or a Packard straight 8.

Didn't the 21-studs have two little water pumps?
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe. It's been too long ago to remember it all.

Oldsfiero, the Packard I worked on belonged to one of my father's best friends and it was 54 Patrician with the 359.
I rode in it once, for about 150 miles on a brand new Interstate 10 out to San Antonio. It was big, roomy, comfortable cloth seats and was like riding on air.
I hated working on it tho. It sat low to the ground, it was heavy as hell and seemed like everything on it was rusty.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2021 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think they would have stood up well against a 5,000 pound Oldsmobile ...
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2021 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

I don't think they would have stood up well against a 5,000 pound Oldsmobile ...

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BEFORE THE CAR GOT THE PLYWOOD BODY 40 CHEVY
there was a war WW2 dad worked on the early B-29 preproduction so he had gas rationing beat
but you could not buy a new car so he got a rolled chevy and rebodyed it twice

IT HAD A PLASTIC ONE
but dad did not know about UV-degrading the plastic he used
so his body fell off and the plywood replaced it

[URL=https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=RAY+RUSSELL+PLYWOOD&client=firefox-b-1-d&fir=a1Uv1n7-tY-O8M%252CuVnYr2EsDJANSM%252C_%253BYsBrYZfUbY3y-M%252Ctz6KpD8DSetKcM%252C_%253BZtz5mIY3ccNpsM%252CuVnYr2EsDJANSM%252C_%253BctuCWtp673HEiM%252Ctz 6KpD8]https://www.google.com/sear...p673HEiM%252Ctz6KpD8[/URL] DSetKcM%252C_%253Bs43WvFBYClM-OM%252CuVnYr2EsDJANSM%252C_%253BfdfH3V3oHqD4QM%252Ctz6KpD8DSetKcM%252C_%253BZTu4FubyfDtG5M%252Ctz6KpD8DSetKcM%252C_%253BEh6S1fuhiTzzVM%252CaYt5f5N6kVYT2M%252C_%253Bg8097noKWAqdIM%252CaYt5f5N6kVYT2M%252C_%253BPwU0Poigec_7VM%252 CaYt5f5N6kVYT2M%252C_&usg=AI4_-kTXdWuKluW19eEY8tBNnTQsPf9QRw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjrsSorq_0AhUvRDABHSAfDHgQjJkEegQIAhAC&biw=1920&bih=932&dpr=1

first three picture top row are the first woodie the very odd looking one in the middle is the second hyd drive car he built that one from scratch

the alloy sports car is an mg with his custom body front and rear are identical he called it the gadabout
the other alloy body sports car is an other hyd drive total scratch custom as is the 2nd woodie

later about 1955 after he saw zora's vetts [yes that zora chief engineer at corvette who lived upstairs at our lake front house]
dad did a f/g body for ford he called the detroiter

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 11-23-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I understand that the Ray in the links is your own Dad Ray?
I know you've mentioned his builds in the past but it's nice to see them now. An Automobile innovator even if they didn't all work out as planned.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes he was a car nut

wrote a newspaper photo weekly column

was a high paid jazz drummer

was a wiz at auto paint color chemistry

VP at the corp that made art and color books for most of the industry [car order books for dealers]

when he worked for FORD HE REPORTED TO HENRY [HYD DRIVE CARS]

MADE AND SOLD IN 100K LOTS HOOD ORNAMENTS 1954 FORD TRUCK WAS HIS LAST ONE

car trader we never had a new car but two or three used ones constant churn of 356 markII's jags caddys t-birds fascial vegas MB
or other

yes and built boats a house and cars doing most work himself

other link

https://www.hemmings.com/st...-cars-of-ray-russell
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ray b

12527 posts
Member since Jan 2001
first experiments in automotive engineering occurred in summer 1941, when he built a plastic-bodied car, what he claimed to be the first such car in the country (though he would have to contend with Ford’s experimental soybean-plastic car for that title). Russell’s plastic car used a framework of welded steel tubing to support a wire mesh contour, to which he applied ethyl cellulose plastic up to 1/8-inch thick with a modified caulking gun. The envelope body styling might have been considered revolutionary, but the 1942 Chrysler-like grille bars suggest Russell had his eye on the latest Chrysler designs, including the envelope-bodied Thunderbolt.

from here http://dfwelitetoymuseum.co...cars-of-ray-russell/

btw that was the first body the U V destroyed

https://www.hagerty.com/med...y-russells-gadabout/

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 11-23-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks for the links. He certainly had a lot going on. Cars, airplanes, music, arts and a family to boot.
Featured in Mechanix Illustrated and Popular Science.

Just..Wow!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock