Started on: 10-04-2021 11:59 AM
Replies: 6 (207 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 10-12-2021 04:19 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am cobbling together a bit at a time a little monowheel trailer. The "body" is a 35 gallon plastic barrel, the monowheel is the forks and front wheel salvaged off a kids bike, the frame is 3/4"x 1-1/2" thin-wall steel tubing (an old futon frame) and the yoke to attach to the bike is cut out of the rest of the kids bike. All bolt-together.

The coupling. I cant decide if I should use a heavy spring, or a universal joint-type. Or something else ? The whole thing is VERY light (wouldn't top 20 pounds empty) and I need it to sorta-kinda-almost stay upright and behind me bumping down dirt roads.

Anybody got experience with the different types of couplings ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems you would want it to be able to pivot left/ right and up/down without it being able to rotate and tip over on it's side.

A u-joint style seams like it would work good.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Seems you would want it to be able to pivot left/ right and up/down without it being able to rotate and tip over on it's side.

A u-joint style seams like it would work good.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-04-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Willie, that is pretty much exactly it. Same basic bike, same basic trailer, same basic use.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Watching the first video I was wondering How in the ....?

Then saw the second video,
Well there you go.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Rokon Trailbreaker is a very cool machine, an all-wheel drive motorcycle that has been around for 60 years. I remember reading about it when I was a kid.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That worked out. Barrel still needs a bunch of work and paint job (a quick-attach system so I can use the thing as a flatbed as well, some sort of seal around the lid, and a few odds and ends.) but the trailer itself tracks nicely, stays where it is supposed to and comes up on the level at about 5 mph or so.

Here is what I ended up doing for a hitch system.

https://www.instructables.c...ike-Trailer-Hitch-2/

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-12-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock