Started on: 09-09-2021 11:16 AM
Replies: 8 (208 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 09-15-2021 07:00 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2021 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course that is for a rear-wheel drive configuration.

But, I'm converting my Fiero to an EV. So it isn't silly.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EV conversions are already using Tesla motors. There are several places you can get a conversion done.
An electric VW bug with 600+ HP and crazy TQ is insane. But don't expect to drive it across country.

I always wondered if all of the bells and whistles were removed and the batteries only had to keep just the bare minimum of things running, how efficient could they make and EV?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2021 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, we are seriously looking at a Boomer buggy X (or similar) for Kim. The cancer is gone (for now) but the damage done by the chemo and radiation will last the rest of her life. Little to no feeling in the fingers and toes, stamina is in the dumps and my own health isnt top-notch either. I can't keep carrying 100% of the load the way I have been for the past year indefinitely.

Those things are enclosed and heated (fine in the weather), have a readio/bluetooth (turn it up and lets ROLL ), gets 50km range (plenty for her to go to town and back and give her some independence) and with a governor bypass will scoot along at 40-50kph (basically city speed). Wont carry much beyond a few bags of groceries and a pizza or whatever, but that's all that's really needed. No licensing or insurance circumvents the disability limitations (she has tried and there ain't no way she can handle a car or truck anymore, no feeling for the peddles, and wouldn't pass the test)

Not perfect, but with present tech and limitations they ARE a solution in some circumstances. I personally still like an e-bike scoot, but apparently it looks something like a circus bear on a mini-bike, and last time I swear the shocks and springs told me to get the **** off.

Looks kinda like a little smart car. BUT, 8 grand for a new one. We can buy a damn decent car for that.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a big push for electric carts years ago in Florida. The government was giving tax breaks on them.
People jumped at the chance to buy one and get a big discount due to the government funding.
Then they found out that you could not drive them on the roads in most places. So they sat in peoples garages or got sold for a loss

Just be careful, even if there is no insurance required there is still liability.
Man I feel for you and Kim. I hope things get better.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2021 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are classed as mobility scooters here, because that's basically all it is. They took a standard 4-wheel scooter, and slapped a shell and bigger wheels on it.

Ya can do the same thing with some PVC pipe, coroplast, zip ties and clear sheet. Just a little ulglier.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-09-2021).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

EV conversions are already using Tesla motors. There are several places you can get a conversion done.
An electric VW bug with 600+ HP and crazy TQ is insane. But don't expect to drive it across country.

I always wondered if all of the bells and whistles were removed and the batteries only had to keep just the bare minimum of things running, how efficient could they make and EV?

Funny, one channel on Youtube called Jerryrigeverything is in the process of converting his Humvee to electric. It's an interesting process especially with all that weight.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Funny, one channel on Youtube called Jerryrigeverything is in the process of converting his Humvee to electric. It's an interesting process especially with all that weight.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

https://www.factoryfive.com/
Factory 5 roadster with an EV conversion would be fun. I wonder how it would handle.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 09-09-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. A Fiero drive with one transaxle ?????????????????

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock