Started on: 09-02-2021 09:25 AM
Replies: 23 (351 views)
Last post by: randye on 09-09-2021 08:15 PM
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-02-2021 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm calling this POLITICS because there is no SOCIAL ENGINEERING option to select. This is the latest globalist move in US social engineering. Remove God in all ways from your life.

https://www.breitbart.com/t...ement-head-chaplain/

Harvard Chooses Atheist Who Teaches About Progressive Movement as Head ‘Chaplain’

Harvard Chooses Atheist Who Teaches About Progressive Movement as Head ‘Chaplain’
Greg M. Epstein, Humanist Chaplain at Harvard University, giving a speech at the World Humanist Congress 2011 in Oslo.Arnfinn Pettersen/Flickr
DR. SUSAN BERRY27 Aug 202132,610
5:00
Harvard University’s more than 40 chaplains have unanimously elected an atheist to be the new president of its chaplains’ organization.

Greg Epstein, 44, a humanist who was raised in a Jewish household, will begin as president of the Harvard chaplains this week.

“There is a rising group of people who no longer identify with any religious tradition but still experience a real need for conversation and support around what it means to be a good human and live an ethical life,” Epstein, the author of Good Without God, told the New York Times.

“We don’t look to a god for answers,” he said. “We are each other’s answers.”

Epstein, who also serves as humanist chaplain at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), has served as Harvard’s humanist chaplain since 2005 and, according to the Times, has been “teaching students about the progressive movement that centers people’s relationships with one another instead of with God.”

According to his bio, Epstein’s special areas of interest include “ethics in technology; meaning and purpose beyond religion; existentialism and humanism in literature and popular culture; developing healthy masculinity from a feminist perspective; secular humanistic Judaism; racial justice and healing; and the philosophy and practice of interfaith work.”

Margit Hammerstrom, Harvard’s Christian Science chaplain, told the Times electing an atheist “works” at the school.

“Greg is known for wanting to keep lines of communication open between different faiths,” she said.

The Times reported Epstein mentors “dozens of students” who “have found a source of meaning in the school’s organization of humanists, atheists and agnostics,” as young people in America have grown increasingly secular.

“Greg’s leadership isn’t about theology,” Charlotte Nickerson, 20, an electrical engineering student, said. “It’s about cooperation between people of different faiths and bringing together people who wouldn’t normally consider themselves religious.”

A recent survey from the Cultural Research Center (CRC) at Arizona Christian University found young Americans are reshaping the country with a philosophy of life that rejects faith in God and organized worship.

The American Worldview Inventory (AWVI) 2021, an annual survey that examines the perspectives of adults aged 18 and over in the United States, found that while 57 percent of Millennials (born 1984-2002) consider themselves to be Christian, 43 percent “don’t know, care, or believe that God exists.”

These young people define success and morality in terms of personal happiness and economic social justice, the survey found, observing only 48 percent of Millennials say one should “treat others as you want them to treat you.”

Greg Epstein, left, the humanist chaplain at Harvard University, poses with students after a group meeting on campus in Cambridge, Mass., Friday, March 6, 2009. Harvard students, from left, are sophomore Kelly Bodwin; sophomore Lewis Ward; sophomore Andrew Maher; and sophomore Greta Friar. Epstein envisions local humanist centers nationwide that perform many of the community-building functions of a church, only in service of the humanist creed, which he sums up as a commitment to living ethical, personally fulfilling lives while serving the greater good. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)
Greg Epstein, left, the humanist chaplain at Harvard University, poses with students after a group meeting on campus in Cambridge, Mass., Friday, March 6, 2009. Harvard students, from left, are sophomore Kelly Bodwin; sophomore Lewis Ward; sophomore Andrew Maher; and sophomore Greta Friar. Epstein envisions local humanist centers nationwide that perform many of the community-building functions of a church, only in service of the humanist creed, which he sums up as a commitment to living ethical, personally fulfilling lives while serving the greater good. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Epstein, reported the Times, often counsels students who are struggling with both personal and theological issues, helping them cope with anxiety about everyday issues, such as job-hunting, family arguments, and the pressures of dealing with social media.

Some of the students who are attracted to Epstein’s humanist group have left their traditional faiths.

Adelle Goldenberg, 22, the Times observed, was raised in the Hasidic community in Brooklyn but found herself drawn to Epstein’s humanist group. She described being mentored by Epstein as almost like having a secular rabbi.

“When the pandemic hit I was like, ‘Greg, do you have time to talk about the meaning of life,’” Goldenberg said. “He showed me that it’s possible to find community outside a traditional religious context, that you can have the value-add religion has provided for centuries, which is that it’s there when things seem chaotic.”

Fox News reported, however, that the election of an atheist as head chaplain at Harvard has drawn some criticism.

One Twitter user said, “Completely missing the point of the role of a chaplain,” adding as well the election makes the Harvard label “less prestigious”:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Copying and Pasting (or Cutting and Pasting) can make you go blind.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Completely absurd and totally ridiculous. And reading most of the positive comments... you can tell they are from very sheltered people who think they know everything, but have never experienced anything.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"There is a rising group of people who no longer identify with any religious tradition but still experience a real need for conversation and support"

Sure, duh, but start something new. Not sure the need to replace what the chaplain was meant for. (agenda)

Such is the future, though.

Originally posted by sourmash:

..This is the latest globalist move in US social engineering. Remove God in all ways from your life.

That, and disintegrate families I believe were the first steps.
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the actual problem?

It sounds, at a macroscopic level, like having a person who isn't biased towards any specific religion or denomination is in a very good place to provide equitable support to a student population that may experience spiritual crises. He's not there to push them in any specific direction, just to provide support. If you had a catholic chaplain, but a significant muslim and jewish, etc. population then there would be a potential bias (and in academia, a LOT of complaining). Having a non-biased person there whom exists solely to support students in crisis seems like a completely reasonable move. The alternative would be hiring a person representing each major faith, then getting sued by members of less popular faiths, and so on and so forth. Ultimately that person exists to help bring stability to a tumultuous time during a young person's life, and to do it regardless of the student's religious status. It doesn't at all read like a malicious action or some "grand plan", or like it's trying to push anyone in a particular direction - it's picking exactly the least biased person possible to do a job and benefit the greatest number of people.

As religion becomes less prevalent in society, someone with no specific denominational bias is simply someone that more people are going to want to talk to. I'm not biased in any specific direction myself, I just see that it looks like they are using a "universal tool" instead of a hyper-specialized one to help the broadest contingent of students possible. There's been a noticeable, documented decrease in the number of adults identifying as religious - so the college is adjusting to their current and future demographics. It's also important to be aware of how quick students (or their parents) are to sue an educational institution for any perceived slight, real or imagined (or fabricated). I can absolutely say with confidence, if they had a catholic chaplain, they'd be sued immediately until every other major (and some minor) religions had equal representation.

This allows them to hire just one person and nobody can make a claim that one religion is represented more than another - so no lawsuits, no needing to hire chaplains or chaplain-equivalents to represent other religions, just one person to provide the support that young people need - without chasing away some people that might just be tired of constant attempts at indoctrination, or afraid to ask a denominational chaplain for help because they're gay or feel in some other way stigmatized by the church. There are religious advisors that exist and students seeking that out are free to pursue it, nobody is stopping them, but this is literally the most broadly inoffensive way to serve the greatest number of constituents.

[This message has been edited by FieroSTETZ (edited 09-02-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroSTETZ:

What's the actual problem? It sounds, at a macroscopic level, like having a person who isn't biased towards any specific religion is in a good place to provide equitable support to a student population that may experience spiritual crises. He's not there to push them in any specific direction, just to provide support. If you had a catholic chaplain, but a significant muslim and jewish, etc. population then there would be a potential bias (and in academia, a LOT of complaining). Having a non-biased person there whom exists solely to support students in crisis seems like a completely reasonable move. The alternative would be hiring a person representing each major faith, then getting sued by members of less popular faiths, and so on and so forth. Ultimately that person exists to help bring stability to a tumultuous time during a young person's life, and to do it regardless of the student's religious status. It doesn't at all read like a malicious action, or like it's trying to push anyone in a particular direction - it's picking exactly the least biased person possible to do a job. As religion becomes less prevalent in society, someone with no specific denominational bias is simply someone that more people are going to want to talk to. I'm not biased in any specific direction myself, I just see that it looks like they are using a "universal tool" instead of a hyper-specialized one to help the broadest contingent of students possible. There's been a noticeable, documented decrease in the number of adults identifying as religious - so the college is adjusting to their current and future demographics. It's also important to be aware of how quick students (or their parents) are to sue an educational institution for any perceived slight, real or imagined (or fabricated). I can absolutely say with confidence, if they had a catholic chaplain, they'd be sued immediately until every other major (and some minor) religions had equal representation. This allows them to hire just one person and nobody can make a claim that one religion is represented more than another - so no lawsuits, no needing to hire chaplains or chaplain-equivalents to represent other religions, just one person to provide the support that young people need - without chasing away some people that might just be tired of constant attempts at indoctrination.

I agree that this should not be a big deal. Harvard has over thirty chaplains of various faiths, so a student should be able to find someone who is knowledgeable in his chosen faith.

I am not sure I would characterize Epstein as unbiased, no more or less so than any other chaplain they might have chosen. But I don't really think it matters.
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I agree that this should not be a big deal. Harvard has over thirty chaplains of various faiths, so a student should be able to find someone who is knowledgeable in his chosen faith.

I am not sure I would characterize Epstein as unbiased, no more or less so than any other chaplain they might have chosen. But I don't really think it matters.

Yeah he's basically there as a catch-all for anyone that might not be comfortable going in another direction. Many kids in college now are experiencing hardship for possibly the first time in their entire lives, and they're probably distant from friends and family - so they need someone as unbiased and supportive as possible. A muslim student might be afraid of asking for help from a jewish chaplain, or a gay student might be scared of talking to a catholic one, but this (unfortunately named) guy, as long as he's not a [butt head] is probably pretty inoffensive and easily approachable regardless of the student's upbringing and beliefs.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's also important to be aware of how quick students (or their parents) are to sue an educational institution for any perceived slight, real or imagined (or fabricated). I can absolutely say with confidence, if they had a catholic chaplain, they'd be sued immediately until every other major (and some minor) religions had equal representation.

Another symptom.

Do they indeed have one for each "religion", as in, all of them?
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Another symptom.

Do they indeed have one for each "religion", as in, all of them?

No, so an unaffiliated nondenominational individual that exists solely to advise and provide comfort and stability is absolutely ideal
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
List of Harvard Chaplains: https://chaplains.harvard.edu/people

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, so an unaffiliated nondenominational individual that exists solely to advise and provide comfort and stability is absolutely ideal

Replacing what was, as said.
I do realizre this makes sense and is the future, as stated.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by williegoat:

List of Harvard Chaplains: https://chaplains.harvard.edu/people

Not quite purely secular then.
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this one: "Religious Society of Friends (Quaker)"
At the end of the day I see it as a non-issue. It's easier to hire a catch-all than more and more people to address every underserved demographic.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love this one: "Religious Society of Friends (Quaker)"

Is that somehow funny to you?

If so, why?

but this (unfortunately named) guy, as long as he's not a [butt head]

You're actually saying that "EPSTEIN" is an "unfortunate" name?

Why is that?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-02-2021).]

FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

You're actually saying that "EPSTEIN" is an "unfortunate" name?

Why is that?

Not really funny, it's just such a wholesome friendly sounding name
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2021 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Head chaplain" huh?

The woke jokes at Harvard don't seem to know the definition of *chaplain*.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2021 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Harvard University’s more than 40 chaplains have unanimously elected an atheist to be the new president of its chaplains’ organization.

The very first sentence of the report from Breitbart, at the top of this thread.

I think it's fair to say that these 40+ Harvard University chaplains did not see a need to split any hairs or count up any angels dancing on pins by bestowing primacy in this context on exactly how the word "chaplain" has been defined in English language dictionaries over the years.

Good on them.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-03-2021).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-03-2021 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Harvard has developed a reputation for low standards of acceptance for people of 'special' classification in academia. They've turned it into a factory of sorts.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Harvard has developed a reputation for low standards of acceptance for people of 'special' classification in academia. They've turned it into a factory of sorts.

question
have christians dropped the all other religions are really the devil fooling people BS yet ?
I guess not as some christian cults still claim that about other christian subcults
let alone actual different religions

I mean some baptist cults claim other baptist cults are led by the devil
most of the protestant think the pope is for sure

so an honest atheist maybe best to ride herd on a bunch like that

and if no bombs honor kills or questionable suicides result call it a success
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

....an honest atheist...

That's hilarious.

"Unlike Christians, atheists have a very high opinion of their own virtue.” ― Peter Hitchens
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2021 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really couldn't follow the questions or points specifically, due to the sentence structure. That, even though I'm frequently cryptic at statements myself.

But the intent was easy to spot.

1) atheists think they're the only ones who have it figured out, without even realizing they practice a religion themselves.

2) a person doesn't need to have a faith to understand the innanity and intent of what Harvard is doing. It's the same thing that those people do through eternity. They do it in entertainment media, banking, news media, education, etc..

3) much of the Church is in apostasy.
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

That's hilarious.

"Unlike Christians, atheists have a very high opinion of their own virtue.” ― Peter Hitchens

there is NO virtue in being deluded by fairytales

but
good people do good
evil people do evil

for a good person to do evil
THAT REQUIRES a religion

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

good people do good
evil people do evil

Good person? Name these good people who only do "good". Then define "good".

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-09-2021).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really couldn't follow the questions or points specifically, due to the sentence structure.

That's likely because "ray b" has been so infrequent here since you arrived that you haven't been "treated" to many of his posts.

His weird posts were always called "ray b haiku" because of his bizarre, fractured, line post. "style" like a Japanese Haiku poem.

It's as though his thoughts vaguely come to him in small, disjointed, "chunks"..... so that's the way he types them.

Burned out old hippies are funny in a sad and pathetic way..... but still funny.

He's at his most entertaining if you get him to start ranting about Ronald Reagan, (who he calls "ray-gun").

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-09-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock