Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Will auto manufacturers re-engineer vehicles to be more basic?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will auto manufacturers re-engineer vehicles to be more basic? by Hank is Here
Started on: 07-07-2021 11:55 AM
Replies: 14 (283 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 07-10-2021 10:14 AM
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I am hearing in the media, and also see as I drive by dealers, there is a shortage of new cars apparently due to a semiconductor shortage. apparently this shortage will bleed into 2022.

Any guesses how long it will take auto manufactures to de-content electronics from vehicles to use less chips so they can product more vehicles with the limited supply of chips they do have?

Apparently GM has removed the active fuel management from some pickups. I have also heard that some vehicles are only being being delivered with one key to save on the conductors.

Will this shortage change how cars are designed in the future? Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no plan on buying a new car, but I wonder if this will also cause issues with cheep parts
See a lot of recalls and warrantee issues in the future.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Redesigning the boards and manufacturing the new designs will take longer than the shortage will last. They can in some cases remove options not necessary for the vehicle to function )or any of several infotainment options). Going forward though, I think you will see fewer computers, AND the suppliers that screwed the auto manufacturers over won't be suppliers any longer by the next design cycle.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the full accurate story on the shortage? Covid stopping the mining / processing / shipping? If so it would all depend on how that or possible future outbreaks are handled.
We really need to stop importing so much and create more things here so we can sustain our own country's independence.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

We really need to stop importing so much and create more things here so we can sustain our own country's independence.

This ^^^^^^^
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the automakers can give us less and charge us more... then yes.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2021 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Whats the full accurate story on the shortage? Covid stopping the mining / processing / shipping? If so it would all depend on how that or possible future outbreaks are handled.

I have heard a couple of different stories. Any or all of them are up for speculation.

The automakers reduced their orders in anticipation of decreased demand. In conjunction with that, the demand for "home electronics" - gaming consoles, phones, and other "quarantine activity" devices - jumped greatly. That being the case, the chip manufacturers shifted their production to accommodate.

I have also heard that there is a drought in Taiwan, where many of these chips are produced. Water is apparently required for the production process. Apparently that water is more urgently needed elsewhere.

But this doesn't just affect the auto industry. It also affects the computer industry. We're having some difficulty acquiring computers for a leased machine life-cycle replacements. I've also heard comments about video cards being made of unobtainium, these days.

With all of that said, there are so many emission devices, safety devices and other government-mandated "nannyware" installed in cars, that I don't see a huge reduction being possible. A BCM is still a BCM, whether it just runs the instruments, or runs the power windows, cruise control, headlights, and other stuff.
A "smaller" one may be able to be designed, but I suspect that the lead time would be longer than the resumption of production.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-08-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2021 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I've also heard comments about video cards being made of unobtainium, these days.

Look up "gpu mine cryptocurrencies"
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

mining

Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Yeah thanks to the shortages, and the mass effort into crypto mining, video cards, especially high powered gaming ones, are hard to get, or if you do find them, they are priced ridiculously high.. Even gaming cards that are 5 years old are still going for $700 - $800 price range.

Apparently Nvidia is working on a new line of crypto mining cards built for that purpose, so hopefully before too long the prices will start to drop on the gaming cards.

I'v been rocking a 1080 for a while now, wanted to upgrade to one of those newer 2080's, but those are still going for like $1200.. Heck even an old 980 is selling for around $500..

I know people who buy a "prebuilt" PC from like Dell/Alienware, or other companies just so they can get the video cards out of them. Since the PC will cost around $1000 - $1500, may as well get a entire computer instead of paying $1200 just for the video card. lol.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But we were all supposed to be merrily driving around in those new high tech electric vehicles in 3-4 years......China Joe promised!!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-09-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it would be cool and very refreshing for an auto manufacturer to actually bring back previous models. Research the ones that sold the best and most reliable etc. and bring them back with MINOR upgrades and advancements. Did I say minor? Yes, very minor.

For example: GM could bring back the 88-98 GMT400 truck platform, put a non-DOD LS in it and whatever the best /most reliable transmission research would reveal (possibly 4l80? or another newer model with more gears that actually hold up if there is such a thing).

REAL research would be key in this endeavor. As well as they would have to get over the newer is better mentality, if that is even possible.

Just my thought,

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 07-09-2021).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BHall71:

I think it would be cool and very refreshing for an auto manufacturer to actually bring back previous models. Research the ones that sold the best and most reliable etc. and bring them back with MINOR upgrades and advancements. Did I say minor? Yes, very minor.

For example: GM could bring back the 88-98 GMT400 truck platform, put a non-DOD LS in it and whatever the best /most reliable transmission research would reveal (possibly 4l80? or another newer model with more gears that actually hold up if there is such a thing).

REAL research would be key in this endeavor. As well as they would have to get over the newer is better mentality, if that is even possible.

Just my thought,

Brian

Only company doing this in VERY limited numbers, is DeLorean Houston

https://www.newdelorean.com/blog/

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has completed a regulation permitting low volume motor vehicle manufacturers to begin selling replica cars that resemble vehicles produced at least 25 years ago. Congress enacted a DeLorean Motor Company-backed bill backed by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) DeLorean Motor Company, and others into law in 2015, which streamlined requirements for small automakers, but implementation was delayed while awaiting the NHTSA regulations. Companies like DeLorean will now be able to apply for authorization to produce and sell vehicles under this program.

It's only possible in very small quantities and very high price tags. Old cars would never pass modern safety regulations, and you could just imagine the lawsuits that would result from average joe blow getting injured in crashes in old style vehicles sold new without these kinds of regulations specifically bypassing them.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. It's called an electric vehicle.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2021 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People who opposed to globalism are just whacko nutjob, conspiracy theorists.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock