Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  'Spike-Direct' . . . Novavax Covid vaccine has its own twist, vs Pfizer, Moderna, J&J

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'Spike-Direct' . . . Novavax Covid vaccine has its own twist, vs Pfizer, Moderna, J&J by rinselberg
Started on: 06-14-2021 11:48 AM
Replies: 17 (233 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 06-17-2021 11:13 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Novavax Covid vaccine highly effective in U.S. trials, including against variants, company says"

. . . plans to apply to [FDA] for emergency use authorization in the third quarter.

. . . The Novavax vaccine differs slightly from the other vaccines in use. The Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines all work by providing genetic instructions for the body to build the coronavirus's spike protein, which the immune system learns to recognize and fight. The Novavax shot skips the instructions and delivers the spike protein directly to the body.

Many well-known vaccines use a similar approach — delivering a specific part of the pathogen to the body to learn to recognize — including the hepatitis B vaccine, the HPV vaccine and the shingles vaccine. The Novavax vaccine can be stored in standard refrigerator temperatures. . . .
  • Novavax is a Maryland-based biotech company
  • Solid safety and efficacy results from U.S. Phase 3 trial
  • Two shots, 21-days apart, "Pfizer-style"
  • Novavax CEO eyes a "booster vaccine" role in the U.S., filling out a lineup that already includes the Pfizer, Modern and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

Sara G. Miller and Erika Edwards for NBC News; June 14, 2021.
https://www.nbcnews.com/hea...ing-against-n1270613

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 06-14-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're kinda like Boeing and Blue Origin are to SpaceX.
By the time the trial is over and approval for Novavax gets here, the other vaccines will have already done what was needed.
better late than never... maybe India will buy some.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

They're kinda like Boeing and Blue Origin are to SpaceX.
By the time the trial is over and approval for Novavax gets here, the other vaccines will have already done what was needed.
better late than never... maybe India will buy some.

I thought they said we'd need yearly ones though.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought they said we'd all be dead in a few months if we got the shots...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought you said I was alright Spider...
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spike it to me
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was about saving lives and not making and ass load of money.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
Study shows hydroxychloroquine and zinc treatments increased coronavirus survival rate by almost three times.

"[Instagram] post overstates study’s ‘200%’ finding on hydroxychloroquine’s power vs COVID-19"
Tom Kertscher for PolitiFact; June 14, 2021.
https://www.politifact.com/...ing-hydroxychloroqu/

Three experts who spoke to PolitiFact were critical of the study.

Joel Farley, a University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy professor, noted that the study was designed not to test the effectiveness of the two drugs, but rather as an observational study that basically looks at survival and then models what things might have predicted survival.

"The concern is that this poorly designed study might influence" prescribing of the two drugs "when the overwhelming body of evidence has shown it has no benefit for treating COVID," Farley said.

Dr. Neil Schluger, professor of medicine, epidemiology and environmental health science at Columbia University, said that to conclude cause-and-effect "is an obvious error," calling the study very small with little hard data. "It’s likely that patients who died rapidly received less total (of the two drugs) because they were dead; one can’t conclude from these data that they died because they got fewer doses. It’s also likely that if they received lower doses on a daily basis, it’s because they were sicker to begin with," he said.

Ally Dering-Anderson, a professor at the University of Nebraska College of Pharmacy, said pairing hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin to treat a virus raises serious questions because azithromycin is a traditional antibacterial drug that doesn’t treat viruses and hydroxychloroquine has no known benefit in treating the SARS-CoV-2 virus. "There is no pharmacologically sound reason to believe that combining two drugs that don’t work will suddenly result in therapy that does work," she said.

Hydroxychloroquine is not approved in the U.S. for COVID-19. The FDA recommends against the use of hydroxychloroquine with or without azithromycin for treating COVID-19 patients. The World Health Organization recommends against using hydroxychloroquine to prevent or to treat COVID-19 infection.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 06-15-2021).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
I thought it was about saving lives and not making and ass load of money.

Not sure what that's about. Suspicious of why there is such a number of "players" that are each marketing their version of a Covid vaccine? Instead of just 2 or 3 different Covid vaccines and vaccine developers?

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Suspicious of why

the government is buying doses and giving them out to other countries.
the government is paying people to take the vaccine

Columbus Ohio is paying people $100 to get the vaccine.
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the U.S. is best served by pitching in or ponying up ($) to help get people vaccinated in other nations that are the "I'm a man nation of means by no means" kind of nations. Like Uganda, to pull the name of such a nation more or less randomly out of the hat.

As far as the various efforts to "gift" people here, in the U.S., for taking the vaccine, I don't like it. It's being rationalized as a way to overcome vaccine reluctance.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Columbus Ohio is paying people $100 to get the vaccine.

I am surprised, that in states that now offer a 'shot bonus' incentive, that someone among the tens of thousands that got vaccinated before the offer came about hasn't filed lawsuits demanding they also get paid (retroactively)

"Hey, dude, I got the jab way back when they first came out..where my Benji?"

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-15-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I am surprised, that in states that now offer a 'shot bonus' incentive, that someone among the tens of thousands that got vaccinated before the offer came about hasn't filed lawsuits demanding they also get paid (retroactively)

"Hey, dude, I got the jab way back when they first came out..where my Benji?"

. Take personal identification. Providers will need to verify your identity, name,
and age. You do not need to show proof of citizenship or residency status, and
many forms of ID are accepted. This information will not be shared with
non-healthcare agencies and should only be asked for at the vaccination site.

I wonder if anyone figured out how to get multiple shots, those truck payments are going to make themselves.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Indonesia, they give you a free live chicken if you get vaccinated and in Thailand, you can enter a raffle to win free cows if you get vaccinated.
"I thought the vaccine might kill me but then I thought "Hey, free Chicken!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVFr8gNH6Qw

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-17-2021).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here the government is giving free cooking oil. Private organizations get a cut too so they are out recruiting.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
Here the government is giving free cooking oil.

Do they give you a free bat to fry in the oil, ?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Do they give you a free bat to fry in the oil, ?

No, the Chinese have to purchase a chicken from an Indonesian.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock