Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  This is so awesome, I apologize for bragging, but have to share.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
This is so awesome, I apologize for bragging, but have to share. by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 06-06-2021 12:02 PM
Replies: 17 (400 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 06-28-2021 12:02 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just moved into a house here in Tampa. It's a fairly newer house, built in 2007. Most of the homes I've bought in the past have been from the 1980s and required total renovation ... which I often did over the span of 2-3 years each time I moved into it. In this house, all I'm really having to do is paint and a few other things. I have some changes planned for pantry and kitchen, and I have to re-do the downstairs bathroom (totally plain-jane looking)... but one thing I noticed was pretty awesome. This house here in Tampa (in this community) was available with a lot of different options. The guy didn’t splurge on any real fancy stuff, but he did splurge on one feature which was pre-wiring. The home is pre-wired with an absurd number of outlets, and also pancake receptacles at every corner of eves of the house. But in addition to that, the family also got pre-wiring in every room (including the kitchen) for:

1 – CAT 5e / Internet & Network
2 – CAT 5e / Phone & PBX
3 – Cable TV (Shielded)
4 – Digital Antennae

Every room has all four of these connections built in:

Every room has a Cat 5e network drop, some rooms have multiple drops. The home also has built in digital TV antenna wiring leading to the attic which is where a digital antennae would be mounted. It has a splitter which feeds to every room in the house. Every room in the house ALSO has a separate connection for cable TV, and then of course... every room has an RJ45/RJ11 combo-connector for telephone and VOIP if I want it. Which is totally insane. I mean, I can’t say this enough... so awesome.

It all feeds into a single patch panel / network panel which is located in the master bedroom closet (Panel-1 and Panel-2). I did have to clean it up a bit because when I first realized what it was (and opened it up)... it looked horrible... so, many zip-ties later and testing and labeling all the ports, this is what it looks like:

I realize of course that... with 5G, no one cares because everything will just be connected. But I like to be hard-wired when possible, I don’t like everything being connected via wireless all the time. Even using the router that’s in the patch panel, I’m still getting ~920 mb/s download speeds... just insane. I had no idea how awesome it could be to have a home pre-wired like this... I mean, this is mind-blowing to me. I've always had to do really ghetto stuff in my past houses, or wire stuff up and run cables through the attic or all kinds of other nonsense...

In this picture, the connector is mounted to the center of the wall, which is totally weird... but if I put a hutch up there, it will cover it. I think it was meant for a TV to be mounted there...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good and plenty of terminals for future use.
I wish I had thought to have mine done that way in 2009.
(I wouldn't have thought you would be still using a wired mouse and headphones tho)
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would also make it easy to setup home security system, its 80% done.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Looks good and plenty of terminals for future use.
I wish I had thought to have mine done that way in 2009.
(I wouldn't have thought you would be still using a wired mouse and headphones tho)

Definitely a wired mouse and keyboard... I have bluetooth for things like a separate mouse for my laptop... but it just makes sense if it's a desktop. The wired headphones though is because I don't really have any furniture. I just picked up this desk in Orlando that I bought from eBay for $100 bucks. Other than an air mattress and a couple of folding chairs, it's literally my only piece of furniture in the home... haha. So my speakers and everything else are at home.

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Funny you should say that... the brown box directly to the right of it is for a security system. Every window and door is hard-wired with those magnetic interrupters for a security system. Apparently none of them are being used though as it's been powered off and the home owner installed an ADT system which only has those on the front and back doors with a CR 2032 battery. It uses motion sensors throughout the rest of the home. I'm debating what to do with this box... whether I should tear it out, or... I dunno...
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Funny you should say that... the brown box directly to the right of it is for a security system. Every window and door is hard-wired with those magnetic interrupters for a security system. Apparently none of them are being used though as it's been powered off and the home owner installed an ADT system which only has those on the front and back doors with a CR 2032 battery. It uses motion sensors throughout the rest of the home. I'm debating what to do with this box... whether I should tear it out, or... I dunno...

My paranoid ass would have IP cameras in as many places as I could
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1 – CAT 5e / Internet & Network
2 – CAT 5e / Phone & PBX
3 – Cable TV (Shielded)
4 – Digital Antennae

Every room has all four of these connections built in:

NICE

Wish my old house was as well planned and outfitted.

I'm getting ready to install all new PoE security cameras, (the current ones are failing) and pulling Ethernet cables all through the attic is going to be a big chore....

.....a chore that I'm going to hire someone else to do...

Good to see you're getting settled in. We will get together soon.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

NICE

Wish my old house was as well planned and outfitted.

I'm getting ready to install all new PoE security cameras, (the current ones are failing) and pulling Ethernet cables all through the attic is going to be a big chore....

.....a chore that I'm going to hire someone else to do...

Good to see you're getting settled in. We will get together soon.

Yeah... it's been pretty cool. Family and furniture still isn't here yet, but it's giving me time to get the house ready. I've changed out most of the outlets, all the door handles and hinges, change the locks, paint the rooms... but I haven't changed out the floors or carpeting yet... sigh. Should be the first thing, I just know I can't get it done in time. I'm going to try to have the rooms done, or I'll do them myself. I just need to find matching wood...

But the built in patch panel... so awesome... still get excited about it, lol...
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah... it's been pretty cool. Family and furniture still isn't here yet,

SWEET! Good times. Pick something up to go from the Tiki Hut?

A full height unfinished basement allowed me to run some cat6 to a few rooms.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 06-10-2021).]

BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ever have any weird things go on with the computer you might try getting it off the carpet. ESD is real. Years ago I had my tower on the ground/carpet and it started acting weird, random stuff. Put it up on the desk and the problems stopped.

Brian
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BHall71:

If you ever have any weird things go on with the computer you might try getting it off the carpet. ESD is real. Years ago I had my tower on the ground/carpet and it started acting weird, random stuff. Put it up on the desk and the problems stopped.

Brian

Definitely will, this is pretty much my only piece of furniture except for some folding chairs. I get my furniture on the 21st. It sat in a cabinet with my old desk, but in this house, I'll probably have it sit on a small pedestal to lift it up a bit.

Thanks!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Pick something up to go from the Tiki Hut?

The Tiki Hut closed down many years ago and the building was demolished and the lot plowed under.
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2021 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read that City Council went on a tear against such clubs?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

I read that City Council went on a tear against such clubs?

Nope

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thing you know about this, because I wouldn't have a clue to what Im looking at.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2021 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!

So who did you buy the house from CIA,NSA,FBI,etc...?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2021 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I once head a house that had a central hub point where there alarm dmarc was located. Not super fancy, but I've been looking to build a d is something I will be integrating.

Here's how I'm going about it though. Central location. Cat 6e. Hub/switch in each room. 1 RJ45 per wall. I haven't run fax or telephone wires in forever. Last time I did I used Cat 5e for my phones and alarm lines. Phone was awesome because you could either hookup 2 or run the fax and phone. Anyway. Hub/ switch each room. Outlet on all 4 walls from hub/ switch. Then 1 wire back to central . I also plan on doing a water manifolds setup. Think of it like a breaker box fire your household water. I had a place with this once. I could cut the water to any room without shutting the house down. I plan on being the GC. I can get Cat cable crap. Already have punch down tools, toner and the like. I buy pet at wholesale also. Already have crimp tools and access to and firing in existence. Next house gonna be relatively small. Built out 9f either connex or just a steel building. I think I can buy and construct with friends steel building materials cheaper than cost and labor on the connex. I get connex at no discount, but do have accounts with building material manufacturers.

My uncle pulled Carlt 5E for his entire house too. I just don't know how much use the surf network stuff gets anymore. I had my server hardwired, but that's really it. My current phones connect bluetooth. My printer wifi. No more XBMC machines. All TVs are wifi now, even if you add smart functionality it is wifi. Not even sure if current gen consoles have ethernet. My Golden Tee machine was even wifi. You could hardwire it too, but why? I did love those central network setups though.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2021 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

This is why I always use cat 5 or better. Easily pulls, can be used for virtually any low voltage application.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2021 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

My paranoid ass would have IP cameras in as many places as I could

I once bought a tiny ass 1200sqft house and aired 16 cameras for it. I was too poor to even own anything worth stealing. No way they were getting my safe out and every bgg else wasn't with the hassle.
Things I had:
Faux leather furniture.
Am expensive slate pool table. Had to ditch the furniture for the table.
57" RPTV.
Marble slab table. Expensive. Unstealable like the pool table, TV and the fireplace entertainment chest.
Nice king furniture, house was too small so got rid of everything except the bed. Again. Not a theft item.
That was it. That was everything I owned essentially. Few laptops and PCs that had really just been relegated to TV duties.
16 MFing cameras with sound hard wired. I left them when I sold the house.
After that I wasn't poor and always had someone at my house so theft never concerned me. Add in a few doggies and a guy who always carried a sidearm across the street from a guy with his FFL3.

Enjoy your new place Todd.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock