Started on: 06-04-2021 06:08 AM
Replies: 9 (332 views)
Last post by: CoolBlue87GT on 06-07-2021 09:23 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About a year ago I posted info about installing a Mr Cool Split AC in my garage. It's been working great.

Here's a quick video with the review

The 2nd video show the installation of the a radiant thermal barrier, which cut down the heat from the rafters.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using radiant barrier type insulation for years. The stuff does an incredible job.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those split units are really cool. I just moved / bought a new house, and have been thinking of installing one of those in my garage. Those units aren't actually all that new. They're new to the US, but they have been around for decades in the rest of the world. We have big massive HVAC units in our homes, but throughout most of Asia, this is what most people have in their smaller homes / apartments. They are fantastic units.

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need that whole treatment for my garage. It's just unbearably hot in the summer.

And 82-T/A [At Work], you are right about those units here in Asia. I have 3 in my apartment. You can close off rooms and only heat/cool needed areas.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I've been using radiant barrier type insulation for years. The stuff does an incredible job.

Your right, I was very skeptical that a radiant barrier would work. It dropped the temperature from 121 to 87 before using any AC.

Was easy to install by myself, - although a 2nd person would have made the process go faster. Used a hammer tacker to staple to rafters.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Your right, I was very skeptical that a radiant barrier would work. It dropped the temperature from 121 to 87 before using any AC.

Was easy to install by myself, - although a 2nd person would have made the process go faster. Used a hammer tacker to staple to rafters.

I was thinking of removing my drywall ceiling in my garage to give me a little bit more perceivable space... I am definitely not doing that now. I've had the ladder down the past few days and noticed it's been really hot in the garage. Amazing how much difference that can make!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The material that I have used for decades is REFLECTIX.

It is reflective on both sides and works wonders.

We did the shop last summer using foil faced foam board (there is a a place in our area that sells seconds from the manufacturer) and it has really done a nice job with keeping it cool in summer and easy to heat in the winter.

The board isn't as easy to install as the REFLECTIX, but the board was really low priced and does a good job.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-05-2021).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I need that whole treatment for my garage. It's just unbearably hot in the summer.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Those split units are really cool. I just moved / bought a new house, and have been thinking of installing one of those in my garage.

82-T/A & Hudini , I'm sure you both would be able to install one of these in a few hours.

The overall install process is fairly easy. The hardest part for me was using hole saw cutting through cinderblock wall. Once that was done, I installed the mounting bracket, and ran the lines through the hole and clicked the air handler into it's bracket. At that point I realized I was half way done. I remember saying to myself, wow, this was easy. Hooking up the refrigeration lines to the outside unit was easy. I did need help from forum members on hooking up the power to the cut off box.

I choose the 12K unit for a number of reasons, mainly because it was the largest 120 volt unit available, and my garage did not have 220.

I'm thinking about installing another one in my attached garage also. Should do great as it's smaller area.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 06-05-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but, but but you coulda just done this......

Set the device to 1 of 3 different modes with the buttons on the top. 1. Cool, 2. Chill, 3. Freezing. You're able to cool any medium-sized room in 20 secs.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-05-2021).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

but, but but you coulda just done this......

LOL, It's funny how long those things have been on the market. I had one in the mid nineties. The only thing it successfully did was extracting money out of my wallet and was good at creating mold inside the unit. I don't know how they can get away with saying they'll cool a whole room.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock