Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anybody a runner? Anything work as well for heart and lung?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anybody a runner? Anything work as well for heart and lung? by sourmash
Started on: 04-17-2021 01:45 PM
Replies: 27 (357 views)
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 04-26-2021 10:49 AM
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2021 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need the same lung and heart workout as running, because the hip joints don't like running. Having never been a runner they aren't coping with it. Damn. I was sorta into it. Both hips have a deep ache sorta toward the side/back. High side/back.

So, what's a good replacement? Biking is possible but nowhere near as lung/heart taxing for as long in hilly country where you coast downhill. Or maybe it's just how I do it.

Last month for better lung and heart function I started running a little; twice a week. It was humbling how quickly my breathing and O2 conversion got overtaxed, but I pushed on to get better. I think maybe 1/4 mile is all I managed day 1. Day 2 was farther, as was each day after. Got up to 1.5 miles before a breather walk before starting again.

My lung capacity was always a little greater than the next person's, until the last several years of inactivity. My heart never seemed to struggle but it also felt a little "restrained" at rest compared to younger days. It's time to get on it before I'm too old.

Running was never on my list of fitness activities, until last month. But my hips don't seem to want to tolerate it at my senior age. For 2 days now both hips ache like it's joint related. So, I don't think I can keep up so much running.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wife and I cycle about 5-7 miles most days but we do it on rural roads with a combination of grades and level terrain.
Make sure your bike fits you. I'm tall and use a 29" bike. My hips, knees and shoulders are worn out from 71 years of abuse, but it's well worth the painfull effort IMO.

In inclement weather, we use treadmill and exercycle.
In good weather, the 2 indoor implements are just good for hanging clothes on...

It takes several weeks at first to get used to the regimen.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-17-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jogging and running are bad for your legs, the impact stress is bad for your knees and you risk hurting yourself.
I would also suggest looking into biking. I just got a stationary bike as my girlfriend is insistent that we limit our time outside.

One of the good things about a stationary is you can very the resistance.
But you will miss the outdoors.

I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when
I'm stuck in California, and time keeps draggin' on
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2021 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get plenty of cardio...

Running around in circles
chasing dead ends
jumping to conclusions
hopping to it....
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have knee replacements and can no longer run to avoid loosening the artificial knees. I am using bicycling as a replacement with some occasional BowFlex work. I normally use a mountain bike (heavier than a road bike) and alternate between paved and natural surfaces. Normal routine is 20-25 miles every other day (unless something interferes). My longest ride has been 42 miles in an afternoon but that seldom happens now due to other constraints. I am currently limited to about 15-20 miles per day for the next four or so months until my hand/wrist is fully healed after surgery related to torn ligaments. I hope to be back to a normal routing in about four months.

Nelson
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Jogging and running are bad for your legs, the impact stress is bad for your knees and you risk hurting yourself.
I would also suggest looking into biking. I just got a stationary bike as my girlfriend is insistent that we limit our time outside.

One of the good things about a stationary is you can very the resistance.
But you will miss the outdoors.

I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when
I'm stuck in California, and time keeps draggin' on

Bones get brittle and as we age, don't heal as quick or easy. I do a lot of walking too. Even tho I don't own cattle any more, I still look at all the fences every day. 3 days/week on the 4 wheeler, 4 days I walk them. About 5 miles altogether, about 1/4 of it in forest and thick brush.

Muscle loss in arms, back and legs is a big problem once we become inactive. Hard to get it back too.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a Maxiclimber XL. You'll work your legs, heart, lungs, and arms. They're hydraulic so low it's a low impact machine. They're under $400 but on backorder until June.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-17-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Bones get brittle and as we age, don't heal as quick or easy. I do a lot of walking too. Even tho I don't own cattle any more, I still look at all the fences every day. 3 days/week on the 4 wheeler, 4 days I walk them. About 5 miles altogether, about 1/4 of it in forest and thick brush.

Muscle loss in arms, back and legs is a big problem once we become inactive. Hard to get it back too.

Sprained my ankle so bad that it had to be put in a cast/splint for 12 weeks. I only run when I have to.
The hardest part is to get motivated to start something new when you are not able to do the things you use to do to keep fit.

I use to walk allot, trails and just being outside.
I got a boxing VR game and while there is no feed back I was left sweaty and out of breath after one session.
You don't notice when you are focused on the game then when you stop wow.
Use to play a lot of active VR games but I just don't have that kind of space here.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a runner, and my knees are starting to go. The problem is I don’t have the same drive with any other exercise. Biking can provide a good workout but I just don’t get as into it. A rower actually gets close to the same level of workout, but it’s not the same kind of workout so not sure if that’ll scratch your itch.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run to the rest room almost every night. Have to rest a bit and then run back to the bed.

Does that count?

Rams
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rowing machine will give you quite a workout for heart and lungs.
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An 'Endless Pool' is amazing. It's very expensive though. A family friend in his late 60's had joint issues and weight gain and invested in one. He's been swimming for over a year and lost all the weight and went on an anti-inflammatory diet (basically adding concentrated fresh tumeric/ginger/berry) juice shots and bone broth to his daily diet and removing sugars and a lot of highly processed carb foods and has no joint issues now. He uses the pool 15-30 mins a day, sometimes more. I tried it out once when I helped install it, very fun swimming in place.

Otherwise everything mentioned above is good, Crosstrainers are amazing for cardio as well. I'd recommend a refrub'd Gym quality unit if you have the room they're so much better.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could just click this
Click to show

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 04-18-2021).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I am a runner, and my knees are starting to go. The problem is I don’t have the same drive with any other exercise. Biking can provide a good workout but I just don’t get as into it. A rower actually gets close to the same level of workout, but it’s not the same kind of workout so not sure if that’ll scratch your itch.

Sour and BDub,

I am extremely pleased to be able to report that I may have The Answer for You. OK, it is the answer for ME but I think this is something you both should consider. As a former runner with two blown-out knees I have to be really careful what I do as exercise or I develop knee pain pretty quickly. Like BDub I tried several times to get into cycling and swimming but find it too boring to stick with it. Today I do two different things:

Elliptical Glider for in the house. Zero impact on knees (and I imagine on hips), and with variable resistance you can work your legs and arms as hard as you want. It can be boring but the TV helps in that department.

Classic Roller Skiing for outside, which I can do all year around here. Because this sport is relatively unknown I will go into some detail below.

Skate Roller Skiing is much like roller-blading except you have two Poles that give your upper body a workout, something totally lacking in cycling. You do the same side-to-side motion angling the skates as a way to push off and propel yourself forward. The roller skis are longer than blades and many people focus on maneuverability drills like jumping over obstacles and going around pylons, etc. There are competitions you can get into. With my KNEE problems I decided to not even try this avenue and went for Classic Roller Skiing.

Class Roller skis work like Cross Country skis on snow except you are on wheels. The Classic skis are much longer than Skate Roller skis so it gives you more stability. Also, one of the wheels on each skate is clutched to lock if you push backward so this propels you forward, just like the snow ski experience. This version also uses poles and since you are just keeping your feet straight and moving your legs back-and-forth there is no side-stress on the knees or hips. Between pushing down with the poles and kicking off with each leg, I get up into my cardio range very quickly. A concern I had was braking and there are some foot-actuated brakes and other gimmicks. I modified my classic skis with mountain-bike brakes so I can stop to avoid road hazards but also use them to provide myself resistance. That way I can ski Down a hill and keep my speed low while demanding more power to keep moving.

Guys, the Best Part: this all takes place Outside so I get the mental boost I used to get during running, and since Legs and Arms are working the cardio is intense. I'm going to stop here and look for a couple of videos so you can see the difference between Skate and Classic Roller skiing.

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 04-19-2021).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio

2964 posts
Member since Oct 2003
These videos illustrate the difference between the two roller skiing techniques ...

Skating: V2 Skip/Hop Drill Overview

Classic: Tips and Drills

Here are two links to on-line shops where you can compare Classic and Skate-type equipment ...

The Roller Ski Shop

The Nordic Skater

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 04-19-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:
I need the same lung and heart workout as running, because the hip joints don't like running.

Try the "stair master".

Find some stairs to climb, or hills. Do it regularly. Change locations for interest.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Squash.

I've done a lot of sports and next to running, none gave me such a workout as playing squash.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would biking work just in a low gear so it takes lots of peddling to move?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bicycling is the only choice for me. The stationary machines bore me to tears, I can't stand doing all that work and not getting anywhere.

The bike gets me out in the sunshine. There are things to see and people to talk to.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Would biking work just in a low gear so it takes lots of peddling to move?

You would need a good bit of discipline to keep it low gear for very long as the need for speed I think, is an All American construct that is hard to ignore.
On my 21 speed bike, (Ozone brand) staying in low gear would wear me out quickly and the whole concept is mostly (for me) the cardiovascular improvement that is gained over a longer period of exercise time, not to mention, no matter how fast you pedal in that gear, you would still shed forward speed on sharp turns and long low grade hills.
It's like the difference in a sprint runner and long distance runner, except with the sprint runner having to limit their running speed almost down to a walk.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was riding my bike I loved riding in the hills.
I would stop at the bottom of the hill then peddle my ass off getting back to the top.

When I first started I would have to get off and walk the bike up the hill.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2021 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Squash.

I've done a lot of sports and next to running, none gave me such a workout as playing squash.

Swinging a sledge hammer is a good workout. A sport too. We in the oil field used to bet on how many swings it would take to break that union (hammer union) or to remove or install a "pin" (anchors two parts together).

I do have to admit I have no idea what squash is.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2021 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You would need a good bit of discipline to keep it low gear for very long as the need for speed I think, is an All American construct that is hard to ignore.
On my 21 speed bike, (Ozone brand) staying in low gear would wear me out quickly and the whole concept is mostly (for me) the cardiovascular improvement that is gained over a longer period of exercise time, not to mention, no matter how fast you pedal in that gear, you would still shed forward speed on sharp turns and long low grade hills.
It's like the difference in a sprint runner and long distance runner, except with the sprint runner having to limit their running speed almost down to a walk.

Due to some fairly recent hand/wrist surgery and residual pain issues, I am riding my nominal 21 speed mountain bike (S Works Stump Jumper 120) as a single speed bike. This way I can avoid most of the pain since I do not have to shift. I am not using the absolutely lowest gear, but use the middle chain ring and a cassette low for 99% of my riding. I can still manage 20+ miles without a tremendous amount of pain. When I am fully healed (3-4 months) I should be able to go back to normal riding. Meanwhile, I can get some cardio exercise with minimal impact on my knees.

Nelson
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2021 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Get a Maxiclimber XL. You'll work your legs, heart, lungs, and arms. They're hydraulic so low it's a low impact machine. They're under $400 but on backorder until June.

You can a Tony Little Gazelle.

I do 20k minimum a day. Around ~10 my cadence. I'm still a bit heavy though. 205 5'10. I've dropped to 160 once. I looked skinny fat. Meh
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2021 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Due to some fairly recent hand/wrist surgery and residual pain issues, I am riding my nominal 21 speed mountain bike (S Works Stump Jumper 120) as a single speed bike. This way I can avoid most of the pain since I do not have to shift. I am not using the absolutely lowest gear, but use the middle chain ring and a cassette low for 99% of my riding. I can still manage 20+ miles without a tremendous amount of pain. When I am fully healed (3-4 months) I should be able to go back to normal riding. Meanwhile, I can get some cardio exercise with minimal impact on my knees.

Nelson

I really wish I could physically do 20 miles/day out of my old bones but to be honest, I cannot, and probably never wil &, there isn't anywhere here I can safely do that long of a stretch.
Once I move back to a less populated part of the state, maybe.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2021 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:
Due to some fairly recent hand/wrist surgery and residual pain issues, I am riding my nominal 21 speed mountain bike (S Works Stump Jumper 120) as a single speed bike. This way I can avoid most of the pain since I do not have to shift.

Motorcycles have foot shifters. You can become rich, inventing one. You owe me a beer.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2021 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, all. The hip joints probably got inflamed. It took about 6 days for the discomfort to abate in one. I walked at day 4-5 and prolonged it. It might have been the duration of friction from rotating so much instead of the impact? Not sure.

Since I have bikes and being outside for stimulation would be optimal, I gotta do some of that, but main road biking makes me very nervous.

That maxi-climber would be nice to have and looks compact. Bet it's intense, working quickly. The stair stepper we have, isn't intense, or the way I've used it anyway. I'm limited on rowing machine space. Probably moving before long.

A racquet sport is excellent. Rope jumping works quickly, but the rope is about as hard on joints unless it's on some sort of jump surface. Road skiing would do it for sure.

That's a peaceful view off the porch, maryjane. I need more of that.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2021 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found a good low impact workout to be a stationary rower and an underdesk eliptical for working from home.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock