Started on: 04-16-2021 11:11 AM
Replies: 16 (292 views)
Last post by: jonrev on 04-19-2021 02:57 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SO amazing to see this... no cell phones... everyone seems so happy and 'chill'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWTHCHHzZY

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No cell phones (internet), good point. Folks living their lives in the moment, face to face with friends.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-16-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In terms of access to information, efficiency and productivity technology is amazing.

Socially, is the single most destructive thing ever invented.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love cultural snapshots like that. Thanks.
I skimmed through it and I will watch the whole thing later.

Is that your era and area?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is actually an entire genre, search 'Dead Mall' videos, guys like Dan Bell, Sal, Retail Archeology, etc. make great videos on old malls, lots of period footage, too.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I love cultural snapshots like that. Thanks.
I skimmed through it and I will watch the whole thing later.

Is that your era and area?

I was around 9-10 in '83, I went to that mall every now and then. The area is still physically very similar, but the stores inside and around the mall sure have changed. Cars in the parking are almost all SUVs now...

Found a few others that hit me in the head - like the coney island one... I remember when the trains used to look like that... (around 1:40 into it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4ATDfCYmo Thick black graffiti...

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never thought I'd see the day that a shopping mall defined an era's culture.
I haven't been in a mall more than a dozen times my whole life tho.

There's a big gas station nearby, that gets more business than most malls around here
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honest question- what else were they supposed to do?

Mostly kids, living in suburbia - hang out at the mall to look for partners or work at the mall, so they can buy stuff at the mall...
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2021 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno...I was a "mall-age-rat" late 70's/early 80's. I never hung out at them much. Summer time I was busy riding my bike or dirt bike, shooting (dad built me a BB gun range in the basement when I was about 6 or 7), fishing, tromping through the woods or trying to make money for all that and winter time was "project" time. I never really did get into that whole huge "hang-out social scene", there were better things to do.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Honest question- what else were they supposed to do?

Mostly kids, living in suburbia - hang out at the mall to look for partners or work at the mall, so they can buy stuff at the mall...

When I was in high school (1969-73) hanging out at the mall wasn't really a thing yet, at least not here, although I did work at a theater in the mall. We hung out at the park or outside Jack-in-the-Box, cruised Central Ave. in downtown Phoenix or had a desert party (boondocker, kegger).

We lived out on the edge of town and I always describe those times as a mix of "That Seventies Show" and "American Graffiti" with a bit of "The Last Picture Show". If you have seen all three, you will know.

This was my part of town. My high school was about a mile and a half east of where this pic was taken and east of the school there were cows wandering around in the middle of the road. This little community was known as Paradise Valley, not to be confused with the hoity-toity town of Paradise Valley:

Within a one mile radius of this pic, there were about six bars and three feed stores.

Here is a video I found online:

By the eighties, Central had changed and much of the Cruising scene went to Metrocenter Mall.

The theater I worked at was owned by a couple named Red and Viola. Their son Danny was a 19 year old college kid with long hair and a beard. Danny now goes by Dan and owns the sixth largest theater chain in the world.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 04-18-2021).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

When I was in high school (1969-73) hanging out at the mall wasn't really a thing yet, at least not here, although I did work at a theater in the mall. We hung out at the park or outside Jack-in-the-Box, cruised Central Ave. in downtown Phoenix or had a desert party (boondocker, kegger).

We lived out on the edge of town and I always describe those times as a mix of "That Seventies Show" and "American Graffiti" with a bit of "The Last Picture Show". If you have seen all three, you will know.

I remember the football part for sure.
A few teams have had some luck with tackling.

Keeps the other team

from scoring so often.

Sounds too rough for me.

You don't care

if it was your last game.

You'll never get stomped

for your high school ball team again.

Where's your school spirit?

- Don't know.
See, this is what I get for betting

on my own hometown ball team.
I ought to have better sense.

Wouldn't hurt if you had
a better hometown.

You mind pointing that pool cue somewhere else?
I don't want my eye poked out.

You're damn more dangerous in

a pool hall than on a football field.

You ever heard of tackling?

Chicken fry me a steak and use meat this time......

PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually enjoyed that.

I didn't watch the entire thing, but bits and pieces. I can pick up all the Jersey accents that people have.

What was up with the hair style back then? Crazy ugly.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

What was up with the hair style back then? Crazy ugly.

There were only two good things to come out of the eighties: President Ronald Reagan and the Pontiac Fiero.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 04-18-2021).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I dunno...I was a "mall-age-rat" late 70's/early 80's. I never hung out at them much. Summer time I was busy riding my bike or dirt bike, shooting (dad built me a BB gun range in the basement when I was about 6 or 7), fishing, tromping through the woods or trying to make money for all that and winter time was "project" time. I never really did get into that whole huge "hang-out social scene", there were better things to do.

x2. bike, bb gun range in the basement, adventures in the woods (or on the water). Much more "Stand by Me" than "Mall Time".

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2021 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny thing is, I am still pretty much the same. Work-type stuff is ALL the "social"| I can handle, and a lot of time too much. I still have no interest in clubs or meetings or hanging around the park benches. If I got a weekend to kill I'll be out in the woods/farm fields/whatever, or working on some sort of project. Going out to do "peopololy" type stuff never crosses my mind.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only reason to go to the mall was for the Arcade. When the quarters ran out so did I.
Later I have gone and just people watch, found that girls like to go shopping at the mall and they drag guys along.
No beer so I didn't stay long.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

This is actually an entire genre, search 'Dead Mall' videos, guys like Dan Bell, Sal, Retail Archeology, etc. make great videos on old malls, lots of period footage, too.

Them's good people... also add Unicomm Productions, Faded Commerce and Retailpocalypse to that list.

I've been documenting dead malls for over a decade. Lately I've had access to Northridge in Milwaukee, until recently an extremely well-preserved specimen that closed back in 2002, to both photograph it and rescue its media archives for digitization. Love finding generational snapshots like these, which otherwise had been left for sacrifice to the bulldozer gods.

More Northridge...

[This message has been edited by jonrev (edited 04-19-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock