Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Williegoat can you play this instrument?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Williegoat can you play this instrument? by maryjane
Started on: 04-14-2021 02:14 PM
Replies: 9 (238 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 04-26-2021 04:25 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(You don't actually touch anything physically.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know, I have never tried. I have been intrigued by the theremin since I was a kid and have come close to buying one a few times, but I would probably play with it for a few days and then hardly ever touch it again, like my ukulele. I still want to learn the bagpipes, some day.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny you can get the same results with an old TV and feed back through the speakers.
My family didn't find it as much fun as I did.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Williegoat can you play this instrument?

I will let you know in a week or two, if I can play this instrument. I just ordered a $35 Theremin kit from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I will let you know in a week or two, if I can play this instrument. I just ordered a $35 Theremin kit from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and now we know how those weird teletubby things really communicated....
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2021 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the answer appears to be: yes, but just not very well.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2021 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Well, the answer appears to be: yes, but just not very well.

Let me help you with a simple diagram. It will make everything sound great

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-25-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2021 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Let me help you with a simple diagram. It will make everything sound great
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Actually, I have just such plans. I have a bigger breadboard from some earlier projects and a 3.5mm TRS breadboard mounted jack. I found a 10k pot and a DPDT switch that also will mount on a breadboard. I can switch the signal from the collector of the transistor to the pot and send a reasonable voltage and impedance to my pedal and on to my recording interface. (I think)

This thing just makes a square wave with no harmonics. (to speak of) That smaller chip is just a dual 555.

But I'm just an old retired gearjammer. What do I know? It's worth a shot.

edit: I just checked and I get ~.95v between the collector and B+ with the speaker in place and ~2.3v with the speaker out of the circuit. The speaker is rated at 8 ohms. That is a much higher signal level than I am happy with, for input to any of my music equipment. An electric guitar will output something under 400mv (and likely less than half that) with an impedance well above 10k.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 04-25-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2021 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My imagination maybe, but did I hear a little Star Spangled banner in the video?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2021 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

My imagination maybe, but did I hear a little Star Spangled banner in the video?

It wasn't intentional, I was just trying to hit some standard intervals; third, fifth, etc.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock