New (to me) Paypal SCAM by skywurz
Started on: 04-06-2021 02:00 PM
Replies: 5 (184 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 04-11-2021 10:09 PM
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So there are actually two new to me PayPal scams that i'm going to rant about. I have typically considered PayPal safe until recently, now I am really starting to wonder.

Scam 1. (The Scammer is the Buyer)

This scam starts out really simply. You sell something to someone and they pay via PayPal and you ship them the item via USPS. Item is delivered after a few days you don't hear back from the buyer life goes on. 120 days later, the buyer contacts you asking about their shipment. USPS has a 120 day recycle on tracking unless you pay for them to hold it longer ($2.50 per tracking number i think for 6 months). The tracking information is now gone. PayPal has a 180 day dispute window. The buyer now opens an undelivered case against you. PayPal will then automatically side with the buyer as you have no proof of any shipment. You are now out the Item, Money and Shipping costs.

Scam 2 (Scammer is the Seller)

This scam is actually more widely known. You buy something from someplace. They provide you with a tracking number (While reading about 120 day USPS recycle of tracking numbers I read about this scam.) They provide you with a tracking number that has just been reissued. Now you feel good you have purchased an item and you have a fresh tracking number. Days go on and your new item is now out for delivery... In the wrong City and State. it gets marked as delivered. You go to open a dispute with PayPal about item not delivered. They side with the seller because tracking says delivered.

For both of these you can appeal and get a real person involved because they are initially handled automatically. This becomes dragged out and requires a bunch of leg work with no guarantees.

Be safe out there in computer land.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a seller, scrint print the delivered screen from the tracking site.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had read about doing this and had seen mixed results for the appeal. It is better to have something than nothing. Print to PDF is simple enough.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why I have never used Paypal
My CC has protection that will side with me "most of the time"

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had a prob with Paypal. But I also dont have a business selling stuff, I'm sure the more one deals the more chances they have to get screwed. I did find it interesting that Ebay apparently just changed to their own payments instead of paypal. Probly "politics".

120 days is rediculous, no company should let something wait that long and honor the complaint.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-06-2021).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
China likes to say their in the U.S., but actually not. (Sometimes their location is found under a 2nd location, customer reviews). Now that they pretend their in the U.S., they charge you tax!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock