Started on: 03-29-2021 10:13 PM
Replies: 20 (388 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 04-02-2021 07:06 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, what do you folks do.

Since retirement, I've discovered that without work, I'm bored a lot. I've been working since I was 12 so, kick'n back just isn't my thing.
I've been doing a lot of landscaping lately, not something I really enjoy.
Have traveled quite a bit in my life and still enjoy it but, between COVID and the price of fuel, I'm finding myself being limited.

I love riding my Valkyries and do so often but, one can only ride the same roads so me and ya just have to find new roads.

Thinking seriously about going back to work, call it a flaw in my personality but, I need some structure in my life and retirement doesn't fill the bill.
I still wake up between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning, have my coffee and then try to figure out what I'm gonna do today. This could be a whole lot more fun. Thought about running for some office but, think'n we all know that won't go far.
Not really looking for suggestions, just interested in what others do.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-30-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find yourself some sort of work-at-home gig. Docs wanted to pension me off fully 4 years ago and I said screw that. All of my little projects and admin work (REAL scarce these days) bring in some bucks, but more importantly give me the variety to stay sane.

Get yourself a cri-cut and/or a laser engraver and set up shop. Advertise on Craigslist or facebook. People spend mad money for vinyl stickers or engraved logos and both are pretty quick processes. 3D printing sells pretty good but its SLOW, that's a sideline thing at best. Go "outside the box" and do things most shops wont (NSFW or Non-PC stuff) and they will beat a path to your door. Boredom wont be a problem.

The ONE problem is, everybody wants delivery so you either gotta have real cheap-to-run wheels, or factor that into your pricing. I loose a fair amount of jobs once I tell them I aint spending 20 bucks in gas to deliver a $10 sale, they are going to have to pony up delivery. Its not really an issues on larger ($100+) projects.

For me "making", the creative process and building has always been part of my makeup so this kind of stuff is a great fit. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 03-29-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Wait a second....

You could take up funeral crashing. Mourner for hire.

Get out every day, meet new people. Lots of free food afterwards....

Could work out.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Security work, try to find some nice business to work for where you don't get stuck outside in the rain.
The higher end places or banks. If you enjoy watching and meeting new people.

Just enough to take the edge off 10 - 20 hours a week.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Since retirement, I've discovered that without work, I'm bored a lot. I've been working since I was 12 so, kick'n back just isn't my thing.

Thinking seriously about going back to work,

Rams

https://www.onlinedegree.co...tic-dancer-stripper/

https://astrologybay.com/ho...ecome-fortune-teller

https://www.profitableventu...icense-professional/

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-30-2021).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cultivate some hobbies; My Father told me that he had no artistic abilities when I was showing him a painting I did.......I told him that all of the work he had done on cars, boats and houses WAS artistic, so he decided to learn to do stained glass....And did it so well that numerous people have windows done by him- including his 2nd wife's ex (Lived on golf course so he did a guy swinging on one side of the door and the green on the other)

I have always had hobbies; Boat, Fiero, painting, cartoons, and now stories that are A) True and B) Funny (People more readily accept poor writing skills when the story is funny!) (Still working on being funny enough.....)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-30-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just curious, what do you folks do.

Since retirement, I've discovered that without work, I'm bored a lot.

Re-invent yourself. If I am correct, this is your second "retirement" thread (I almost weighed in on the first one).

You have life long experience, of value. Share. Possibly even making money on it. I think they call it "consulting". If you don't make money at it, the reward is worth more. You are helping, someone, or some venture which you might admire.

Just because you are retired, it doesn't mean you can not retread yourself.

Volunteer. Needed everywhere. You meet people, have a purpose, your mind is stimulated, and life will always be interesting.

Me ? I drink beer, .
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35864 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by randye:
https://www.onlinedegree.co...tic-dancer-stripper/

That's funny, .
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2021 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah, you're all wrong. The correct answer is drinking.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Nah, you're all wrong. The correct answer is drinking.

Can't go there. Quit that activity (at least with alcohol) at the ripe old age of 21.

EAA has provided me with some things to consider though.

Rams

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2021 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the kids are doing it.
Hey, shouldn't you be sleeping?
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

All the kids are doing it.
Hey, shouldn't you be sleeping?

I'm normally awake by 0430, this morning I have a couple of tasks to get finished so, woke up, got up and already have one of them done. Just waiting on the sun to come up now so I can finish up tilling the wife's garden. The tiller doesn't have headlights.

Then, will mow the yard and the small pasture. We are hosting a motorcycle event this coming weekend. Have guests coming from all over the country, 12 different states. One couple is flying in and I found two other folks with "extra Valkyries" willing to loan them out for the weekend. Will be picking them up at the airport tomorrow evening. You meet the nicest people on a Honda ya know.

Two other couples are driving in their RVs with bikes in tow. They will be hooking up to my RV outlets and will be staying here. Have already set up a Ground Zero hotel and was able to get a group discount for those staying there. Need to get some raffle tickets for the vendor provided promotional gifts I have ready. One vendor gave me a $300 motorcycle jacket, a set of chaps and a nice hoody sweater. Another is giving a free dinner for two up to $100. I built a portable propane powered bonfire type water feature for the Ground Zero Hotel Parking lot tire kicking and look at my bike discussion. Folks naturally congregate around a bonfire for some reason. Not sure why, think'n it goes back to our neanderthal days, But then, so do a lot of our activities.

Rams

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Just because you are retired, it doesn't mean you can not retread yourself.

Ha that's good stuff right there
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm normally awake by 0430, this morning I have a couple of tasks to get finished so, woke up, got up and already have one of them done. Just waiting on the sun to come up now so I can finish up tilling the wife's garden. The tiller doesn't have headlights.

Rams

clear sky and 90% full gibbous moon + personal headlight = task completed

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

clear sky and 90% full gibbous moon + personal headlight = task completed

Don,
I do appreciate the info. What I failed to disclose was, I have to rent a tiller and the store doesn't open up till 0700. Renting it yesterday would have required me to rent the tiller for a 24 hour rental and we both know I'm too tight to spend money on something I don't need.
Got the tiller and got it done in about two hours. Built a fence around her garden, mowed the lawn and small pasture. Done.

Rams
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I enjoy judging sweater puppies, it doesn't pay anything but it is a rewarding hobby.
Click to show
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I enjoy judging sweater puppies, it doesn't pay anything but it is a rewarding hobby.
Click to show

I wouldn't make a good "sweater puppy" judge.
Passing out due to a lack of blood flow is embarrassing and expensive if someone calls an ambulance.

Rams
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[u][/u]

I wouldn't make a good "sweater puppy" judge.
Passing out due to a lack of blood flow is embarrassing and expensive if someone calls an ambulance.

Rams

Its not for everyone, and you should always be in your safe place
Click to show
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2021 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mushrooms got a cute azz.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What pretty eyes you have.
Click to show
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay