Started on: 03-23-2021 05:17 PM
Replies: 4 (578 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-28-2021 07:30 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guy explains why the British plug is better than any other versions.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's my favourite. I have tried other but they just don't work. }:‑)
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking around at the amount of electrical devices I just don't see how it would work for everything.
Yes its better if you look at it as a safety device, I like the idea of having a fuse in the plug.
But to not have circuit breakers in the house and just one continues loop of power. What if there is a short? There is no circuit breaker to protect your home.
What if there is a surge or lightning strike? Does it pop every fuse in all of your devices? That would be a pain in the ass.

So the plug may have some nice safety features but over all its not a better system.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought he was talking about copper scarce post war and bankrupt England being when they used one loop.

Downtown electric grids often do it that way on a large scale, I think.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That UK plug is only made in last Decade or a bit More to meet current Building/Electric Codes. Many old plugs are still used and dangerous as anything else including any plug in the US..
The Anti-tampering socket is same thing.
Switch at the socket has Many problems party because people use them to shutoff power to motors and other high current items and switch burns.

Before UK finally Standardize the power grid in late 40's to early 50's, Many other iffy plugs and sockets were used and some still use even now mostly in older buildings. Watch John Ward and other UK electricians to see many nightmare problems pulled out of UK homes.

Next is you hear the idiots in the US etc has 120VAC systems...

US and some others are 240vac service to Home but Most outlets are 120vac to Neutral or Ground because 120vac in your hand is much safer.
Yes, I said Most outlets are 120vac...

Anything in the US eating a lot power have 240vac or others.
Electric Cloths Driers, Stoves, Ovens, Water Heaters and "backup furnaces" for Heat Pumps are common in US homes connected to 240vac.
Many use different plug sets while others are direct wired to 240vac.
(In a building w/ 3 phase service can have 120, 208 or all 3 phase into whatever. Example: In a big Office space... 90+% devices are 120vac but an Elevator has a 3 phase motor. Many big Servers, Cisco "Switches," and other IT run on 208 or 240vac in the US.)

UK and other countries Construction Sites often have ~ 100vac for same reason but most YTers have no clue.

Note that Current US National codes requires Anti-tampering sockets and more but Local codes may not require them Yet. In many areas, new outlets etc are only installed w/ new construction or changes done by "pro's."

Having 240vac to light a room, run a "Wall Wart," etc is a lot harder to make for too many reason to list here.

One of easiest videos for DIY etc., see 120V/240V Electricity explained

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock